Feature Request: a "fit width" function for the track pane

jimlynch22

A "fit width" funtion similar to "fit project" in the track pane would be helpful when want to see the whole project without changing the height of the tracks, as you might be working on an envelope or PRV view that needs a large track height to see what you are doing.

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

Good request. I hope the developers will make it possible. As a workaround I use a shortcut script with Autohotkey for that. 

If you activate a track that you want to fit width by clicking the track name and a clip on that track or selecting multiple tracks by clicking the track number, with the shortcut key the script simulates these three steps in order: Hide Tracks not in Selection -  Resizes and zooms tracks to see entire project - Unhide all tracks and buses, no zoom.

In this script:
Shift & Capslock triggers "fit to width" command.

In my keyboard bindings for Cakewalk I use:
Alt+Q for the command "Hide Tracks not in Selection" 
Shift + Z for the command "Resizes and zooms tracks to see entire project"
Alt + A for the command "Unhide all tracks and buses, no zoom"

I am adding the script so you can change the script to your needs. Or you can directly load the exe file, if you use same shortcuts listed above, it will work.

Edit: I made a small change in the script to work for the tracks with opened lanes.

Note: This script fits selected track(s) to project width. If you want to fit width of a clip there is a command named "Show and Fit Selection" but all of these choices are also changing the height of the tracks. So we still need a command for to fit width without changing the height.

Fit Width.exe Fit Width.ahk

Edited by murat k.
  • Like 1

This was the first feature I ever requested, years ago. In Mixcraft, this command is bound by default to the "10" key, and I use it so much that my "10" developed a shiny spot.

When I checked out CbB, I couldn't believe that there wasn't such a command.

At least now with the track height resize modifier keys, it's easier to tidy up the track heights, but still, doing a Fit To Project when you only have 3 or 4 tracks in the project results in way too tall tracks.