Jim Fogle

Question

Does Cakewalk by Bandlab support Midi Polyphonic Expression or MPE as it is sometimes called?   MPE is a method of using MIDI which enables multidimensional controllers to control multiple parameters of every note within MPE-compatible software.   In normal MIDI, Channel-wide messages (such as Pitch Bend) are applied to all notes being played on a single MIDI Channel. In MPE, each note is assigned its own MIDI Channel so that those messages can be applied to each note individually.

+++ This article +++ indicates the upcoming release of Ableton Live 11 will support MPE.  I don't have any hardware that supports the feature but, what got me curious was this statement: 

Basically every other major DAW from Bitwig, to Studio One, to even the lowly Garage Band supports MIDI Polyphonic Expression at this point. So it was quickly becoming a point of contention for tech savvy musicians that wanted to embrace the growing selection of MPE hardware out there. Especially as they’ve gotten more affordable. The MPE curious can even dip their toes in with the $99 Orba from Artiphon, which doubles as a standalone instrument.

11 answers to this question

I've just re-read the latest MPE MIDI spec on the Roli website, and can't see any reason (in theory) why CbB shouldn't be able to record/play back MPE MIDI data.

In addition Roli lists CbB as one of their MPE compatible DAW's: https://support.roli.com/support/solutions/articles/36000037202-compatible-synths-daws-and-instruments

You need to make sure the MIDI output channel is set to "None" on the MIDI track within the inspector - and only use either Split MIDI tracks / Simple Instrument tracks ( i.e. don't use per-output instrument tracks - they're useless in this case anyhow, as MPE requires all 16 channels ).

Of course, there's no native support for editing the MPE data in the PRV. You will be able to edit your MIDI in the Event View though.

• Like 1

Here is a description of MPE from  https://support.roli.com/support/solutions/articles/36000027933-what-is-mpe-

ROLI instruments use MPE to transmit their dimensions of touch as standard MIDI messages on multiple channels to achieve expressive polyphony.

Each note is sent on an individual channel

Messages which would normally influence all notes (like pitch bend or continuous controllers) can be expressed polyphonically.

Therefore it looks like MPE uses standard MIDI but sends on all channels.

In CbB if you have 16 consecutive MIDI tracks, set their channels 1 to 16 respectively, arm them all and set them all to record simultaneously, you would be able to record a performance from an MPE keyboard controller.  Each track will be populated with the relevant notes.

What sounds (and MPE support) you get would be up to your synth, be it a software synth or a hardware synth.

Perhaps a better question would be, what VSTi plugins support MPE MIDI data.

Meldaproduction Msoundfactory is an example of a VSTi that claims to fully support MPE

See:

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MSoundFactory

Well more and more VST's are supporting it, but I am fiddling now with a  Roli Seaboard on a Deckard's Dream. Hard to play on the Roli I found out btw, but I'm practicing. To make it easier I alsojust ordered a HydraSynth that supports MPE with a polyphonic aftertouch keyboard. So it would be nice to be able to actually record what I play on them :)

One enhancement that Cakewalk by Bandlab does desperately need is the ability to directly edit polyphonic aftertouch events in the PRV.  Right now, only Channel aftertouch events are supported. 

The polyphonic aftertouch events are actually recorded in Cakewalk by Bandlab, it's the actual of editing of them that is a PITA

I'm curious

If an MPE enabled keyboard (like a ROLI device) performance was recorded with CbB, would the data received be standard MIDI data (including poly aftertouch), albeit on all 16 channels?

If that's the case, if you have 16 MIDI tracks, all set to their respective MIDI channels in the track's settings and all armed and recording, would such a recording populate all 16 tracks with MIDI data - including the poly aftertouch? 

On 2/17/2021 at 6:39 PM, msmcleod said:

In addition Roli lists CbB as one of their MPE compatible DAW's:

Wondering if anyone has played further with this? Roli's site says it's compatible with CbB but several people above say no? I just bought a ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 and was really wanting to be able to edit the MIDI if needed in CbB and also use some VST's from NI.