A few Idea's on existing features for CbB 2021. Plus, what new features would you like to see? DISCUSSIONS ONLY.

Will.

21 minutes ago, solarlux said:

I thought principle how drum replacer works but special track where i can replace for example drum sound used, For example i have kick and i put kick audio files events  in some rythm and posibility to replace kick audio files with other kick sound in events, In simple words - I make audio track where i place one drum sound in some rythm and i don't like this kick sound and i want to change it with other kick sound wav file i drag on track new kick sound and all kick sound events replaced by new sound

I get what you're saying. You want a Sampler Editor. It's been requested many times.

Hopefully: Dont know if it has been picked up by the team. Maybe in the near future. For now there's alternative free plugins,

Sitala (Decomposer)

TX16W

Grace Sampler

sforzando

DrBeat

Google each one. 

Just now, Will_Kaydo said:

I get what you're saying. You want a Sampler Editor. It's been requested many times.

Hopefully: Dont know if it has been picked up by the team. Maybe in the near future. For now there's alternative free plugins,

Sitala (Decomposer)

TX16W

Grace Sampler

sforzando

DrBeat

Google each one. 

Yes sampler track  : )

12 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

How would this be awful when every other DAW works this way? When zoomed in - scrolling in your DAW  is suppose to work this way! 

When you have a project of 90bars, why do you want to view bar 92, when there are no more clips after Bar 90 of your project? 

Because maybe you want to drag and drop a clip to bar 92 of the project?

Other DAWs allow you to set a project length, but they will also make space if you drag something there.

A hard restriction would be awful.

I have like 5 DAWs on my computers, so I'm not buying "every other DAW works this way."

That's is 100% false.

Just now, Maestro said:

Other DAWs allow you to set a project length, but they will also make space if you drag something there.

I have like 5 DAWs on my computers, so I'm not buying "every other DAW works this way."

That's is 100% false.

Yes i agree that maybe i don't make idea clearer

6 hours ago, solarlux said:

I thought principle how drum replacer works but special track where i can replace for example drum sound used, For example i have kick and i put kick audio files events  in some rythm and posibility to replace kick audio files with other kick sound in events, In simple words - I make audio track where i place one drum sound in some rythm and i don't like this kick sound and i want to change it with other kick sound wav file i drag on track new kick sound and all kick sound events replaced by new sound

Cakewalk has a Drum Replacer.

But the other stuff is what I meant with the ACID Pro comment, as it works this way.

ACID Pro is designed to work with Samples the way a DAW like Cakewalk works with MIDI.  So, it has a workflow with Samples that is closer to what you get in Cakewalk using a Drum Kit Patch in a Multi-Sampler with the Drum Editor, or a Drum Sampler in a Mini-Sampler (like Simpler, Sample One XT, Cubase Sampler Track, etc.).  All ACID Pro Audio Tracks sort of function like Sampler Tracks, in practice.

You can drag and drop a new sample onto a track [header], and it will replace the samples on that track with the new sample.  This makes it easy for trying out new Kicks, Snares, Hats, etc.

You can just press one button/key combo to pitch samples up or down a Semitone/Octave, the way you would MIDI on a Piano Roll.  It has really good Audio Warping, Beat Mapping, and the Chopper lets you isolate sounds out of loops and use them in your composition extremely easily.

Etc.

If you're going to program drums with Samples, it is worth evaluating that as an option.  Many people on this forum got ACID Pro 8 for almost nothing (or 9, when Sweetwater ran that deal they probably shouldn't have been running, Lol).  You jsut do that there, and then ReWire into Cakewalk.  Not much different than if you were using Machine, MPC, or FL Studio via VST.

I still don't think any other DAW has touched ACID when it comes to this manner of music production or drum programming.  Ableton is probably closest, but the workflow definitely isn't as quick.

I do think the Drag and Drop Sample Replacement is an achievable feature request, though, at least.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Sitala (Decomposer)

TX16W

Grace Sampler

sforzando

DrBeat

Google each one. 

No, he wants to easily be able to replace every instance of a sample/clip on a track by dragging the new sample onto the track - as is done in ACID Pro.

4:35 in this video: DJ Pain 1 (50 Cent, Ludacris, 2Chainz) | Creating a Beat from Scratch in ACID Pro - YouTube

The best way to get the instruments into Cakewalk is to "Rack them in" from Reason Intro.  It's not free, but it will give you all of the Synths, Samplers, and Drum plugins you need to get started... and they're better than just about all the free stuff out there - as a package, definitely.  I'd do the same with a DAW like Pro Tools or Samplitude, as they are missing similar tooling OOTB.

One and done.

Can be gotten for about $80 or less (tax free, in the US) from the right retailer.

For a Sample Editor:

Get Sound Forge Audio Studio and set it up as an external audio editor.  That works well.  It's just unintuitive because you have to set it up with registry edits.

Edited by Maestro

Just now, Maestro said:

No, he wants to easily be able to replace every instance of a sample/clip on a track by dragging the new sample onto the track - as is done in ACID Pro.

The best way to get the instruments into Cakewalk is to "Rack them in" from Reason Intro.  It's not free, but it will give you all of the Synths, Samplers, and Drum plugins you need to get started... and they're better than just about all the free stuff out there - as a package, definitely.  I'd do the same with a DAW like Pro Tools or Samplitude, as they are missing similar tooling OOTB.

One and done.

Can be gotten for about $80 or less (tax free, in the US) from the right retailer.

For a Sample Editor:

Get Sound Forge Audio Studio and set it up as an external audio editor.  That works well.  It's just unintuitive because you have to set it up with registry edits.

Thank you about tip I now understand i want do something what don't need to do in DAW workflow

I think the bigger issue people are facing is that they want everything at no cost, but some things are worth paying for... especially if it means you fix all of these problems up front and don't spend the next 6 months constantly evaluating the internet's trove of "free stuff," much of which will fall short in critical ways because they simply don't have the same amount of development muscle behind them.

Just now, Maestro said:

I think the bigger issue people are facing is that they want everything at no cost, but some things are worth paying for... especially if it means you fix all of these problems up front and don't spend the next 6 months constantly evaluating the internet's trove of "free stuff," much of which will fall short in critical ways because they simply don't have the same amount of development muscle behind them.

Yes true and i respect bakers very much about what thay already done. And i can say Cakewalk is more easy to use and user friendly in piano roll and in many positions  better than paid DAWS like Studio one and other : ) I feel passion of Cakewalk team and i don't forcing to implement i like brainstormin about how can improve some position.

• Like 1

No feature request is bad.  You never know what ideas or changes you may inspire.  Keep it coming!

There is still some very achievable stuff in your feature request.

I think every DAW should steal that feature from ACID, IMHO.

Edited by Maestro

Just now, Maestro said:

No feature request is bad.  You never know what ideas or changes you may inspire.  Keep it coming!

There is still some very achievable stuff in your feature request.

I think every DAW should steal that feature from ACID, IMHO.

I like when people have expierence with many Daws and to hear opinion about features.

48 minutes ago, Maestro said:

That's is 100% false.

Maybe if you try to live your life more positively, instead of negatively - you would've realized that this is only for "scrolling" the project. 

Space will be added as soon as you select and drag a clip. 

2 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Maybe if you try to live your life more positively, instead of negatively - you would've realized that this is only for "scrolling" the project. 

Space will be added as soon as you select and drag a clip. 

Oh...  A personal attack in response to someone disagreeing with a "feature request."

Also missed the second part in the initial post, but I will go back to look and see if that is "my bad."

On 1/12/2021 at 4:03 AM, Will_Kaydo said:

Another update I would like to see, is for the projects to be restricted to the last file in the project. The extra real estate after the last clip is annoying when scrolling - especially when using keyboard shortcuts. 

Nope.

But your revision is noted, I'm sure.

Edited by Maestro

25 minutes ago, Maestro said:

4:35 in this video: DJ Pain 1 (50 Cent, Ludacris, 2Chainz) | Creating a Beat from Scratch in ACID Pro - YouTube

One and done.

For a Sample Editor:

This isn't Acid, this is Cakewalk. He said he wants a Sampler. Don't choose for him when he said he wanted a Sampler Editor. 

3 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

This isn't Acid, this is Cakewalk. He said he wants a Sampler. Don't choose for him when he said he wanted a Sampler Editor. 

You failed to read his initial post.

Do so.

This is the section that I specifically quoted and responded to - emphasis on the part that most stands out to me:

Audio step sequencer track, Here in example i muting and unmuting steps but will be good audio step sequencer track where possible to change audio file what used in pattern. : ) And possibility to manipulate audio in some steps like normal audio clip.

Now, go watch the video and you will see it is pretty much exactly what he demonstrated in his screenshot, and what he's asking for in his post.

It's okay to steal features form other DAWs, BTW.  Happens all the time.  Where do you think Articulation Maps come from? 

Edited by Maestro

2 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Oh...  A personal attack in response to someone disagreeing with a "feature request."

Also missed the second part in the initial post, but I will go back to look and see if that is "my bad."

Nope.

But your revision is noted, I'm sure.

It's the same thing! Scroll to be restricted to the last clip in the project. 

On "SCROLLING" alone.

added space will be added for copy and paste or drag and drop/paste. 

Scrolling should be limited to the project length, which should be a value set in the project settings.

That will just introduce unintuitive behavior in arranger navigation.

It will feel awful, practically.

12 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Another update I would like to see, is for the projects to be restricted to the last file in the project. The extra real estate after the last clip is annoying when scrolling - especially when using keyboard shortcuts. 

I'm sorry but the above tells me that you want the project to stop at the end of the last clip, and that the extra space is annoying when scrolling.  It doesn't tell me that you want it to stop at the last clip ONLY when scrolling.  Those are two different things.  I can't be blamed for your lack of clarity.

What if someone wants to go there when scrolling, even when NOT using keyboard shortcuts?  I'm wondering how this will work, if it is implemented the way your post infers it should be...  Dragging clips into the arranger just to make the space available?

Edited by Maestro

Just now, Maestro said:

I also like very much all features are implemented elegant in Cakewalk for example arranger track i like better than in Studio one which is paid Daw. Many things are made better in Cakewalk and i see developers are with big expierence and they know what they do and they made feature with deeper idea.

12 minutes ago, Maestro said:

You failed to read his initial post.

Do so.

This is the section that I specifically quoted and responded to - emphasis on the part that most stands out to me:

Now, go watch the video and you will see it is pretty much exactly what he demonstrated in his screenshot, and what he's asking for in his post.

It's okay to steal features form other DAWs, BTW.  Happens all the time.  Where do you think Articulation Maps come from? 

Dude, can you stop? It's my request. Just disagree with it and leave it at that. 

I know of few DAWs I've worked in visiting other studio's that have this feature.

You and Solarlux can talk about his request. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo