How do you see only take lake in piano roll but hear everything?

Ronman

Question

4 answers to this question

Maybe it's a workflow issue.  I have an instrumental track that's MIDI-enabled (I'll call it the "master").  As I do multiple takes on top of this track, I want to see in the Piano Roll view only the latest take while hearing the master instrumental track so that I can edit individual notes in the take without getting mixed up which notes are in the take clip and which from the master.  I can mute the previous takes, but don't want to mute the master since I want to hear it along with the take.

I guess I could select the entire take clip and that way discriminate the notes by color, but wish there was another way.

Given the PRV operates at the track level, one way to "hide" data from the PRV and still have it play is move the clip to edit to a new track and edit it from there. This may be done by:

• Create a new MIDI track with its output set to the master track's synth
  • SHIFT-drag the clip from the master track to the new MIDI track,
  • Edit the clip in the PRV
  • SHIFT-drag the clip back to the master track

Holding down SHIFT while dragging the clip insures it does not move to the left or right on the timeline.

• Thanks 1

Great, that works.  Now, to push it further, is there a way to SHIFT-drag only the selected notes in a clip's PRV to another track?  I'm doing it now by

• selecting the desired notes in the PRV
  • moving the Now marker to the first selected note
  • CTRL-X to delete
  • Select "Track->Focus previous(next) track
  • CTRL-V to write into the target track.

But that's a lot of steps.

The purpose is to isolate the melody for later assigning to different instruments for alternate mixes.

Edited by Ronman
removed part that should be a separate topic