First Apple Silicon Macs Are Here - Everything You Need To Know

cclarry

First Apple Silicon Macs Are Here
MacBook Air, 13" MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Everything You Need To Know

Apple Silicon Macs have been announced and are here, they are the new Arm-based chip computers based around the new Apple M1 chip. Here is everything you need to know about the new MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 13" and Mac mini.

Of course, this information is to help those working in music and post-production to ascertain if these are the right Apple Mac computers to buy for professional audio work.

Find out more

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

First Apple Silicon Macs Are Here
MacBook Air, 13" MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Everything You Need To Know

Apple Silicon Macs have been announced and are here, they are the new Arm-based chip computers based around the new Apple M1 chip. Here is everything you need to know about the new MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 13" and Mac mini.

Of course, this information is to help those working in music and post-production to ascertain if these are the right Apple Mac computers to buy for professional audio work.

Find out more

Forgot the most important part.  Not Cakewalk compatible.  

Worthless.  😆

• Like 5

I am willing to take one for the team and accept any fully prepaid units that you guys/gals care to ship to me.
I run a PC household so please ship in a plain brown paper wrapper so that my kids are accidentally traumatized - I'm trying to get them to adulthood with the minimal therapy costs.  

4 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

so a maxed out Mini adds up to $2,149.00  kanaki $'s. and it's all soldered to the bone and un-upgradable.

And now with a maximum 16GB of RAM to make sure you can't keep it too long before you have to get a new one 😂

Edited by Luc
fixed

7 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

the last one was upgradable  to more? maybe i should  look at picking up one from their outlet store. i stayed away b/c of the T2 chip.

Yeah if you check the Mac Mini page on the Apple site, they still have the older one listed at the bottom of the list... and it's upgradeable to 64 GB (on purchase - the original ones you could upgrade yourself afterwards but now... it's the whole soldering the RAM in so you can't change it afterwards thing). The whole machine is quite a bit more expensive than the ones they just announced, though.

4 hours ago, Fleer said:

That M1 chip only accepting 16GB RAM is absurd. 

Plus upgrading from 8GB to 16GB is $200.

It makes a little sense technically since the RAM is on the same chip as CPU/GPU but certainly something they'll need to change for the "real" pro machines.

software-wise, supposedly Logic Pro X can load in either ARM or Intel mode, and existing plugins load in Intel mode, but you can't mix the two architectures. Back to the bad days of bridges? I'm also not sure about ilok or more serious copy protection.

it's nice the compatibility layer seems good, but I worry software manufacturers will hide behind it for a year or two. I'm probably being too grumpy but expect lots of "we encourage users on ARM to load in x86 mode" like the dozen "don't upgrade" mails that arrive with every OS upgrade.

edit: not to be grumpy about the whole thing. It's a big change and best wishes to Apple for it, and probably preferable to the case where Apple seemed to be ignoring the mac 2 years ago. These aren't the systems professionals that need lots of tracks will get, and it's generally suggested to avoid the first revision of major products: new computer platform, new car platform, etc.

Edited by mister_tea