Is the latest Melodyne broken?

John Vere

I really have never used Melodyne for anything other than converting a real Bass track into midi. 

A month or so ago I thought I'd bring everything on my main DAW up to date. There was an update for Melodyne as well. 

Today was the first time I had needed to convert a Bass track since before the updates. 

The Bass track had 3 parts due to punching in. 

The first segment which was more than 1/3 of the song converted over no problem. But, the second clip just froze up at the "rendering audio" point and the wheel went round and round forever. I opened Task manager and it showed that Cakewalk was not responding,  So I closed it and tried again. I had saved like I always do after any major change so my first conversion was fine.  This time the second part worked but when I tried the 3 clip everything froze again. I hadn't saved thinking this was all working now. So back to task manager and re open project.  Now no matter what I couldn't get the 2nd or 3rd clips to render, Odd?  CPU was showing no action. 

I copied the folder to my back up drive , opened the song on my old W7 beater which is way out of date and the parts converted without issue. So I got what I wanted.  

So is this the "new" version of Melodyne not working well with Cakewalk??  

Both version 4.2.0 and 4.2.1 have an issue where it forgets the default detection algorithm.

This causes Cakewalk to freeze when dragging audio on to a MIDI track.

This doesn't happen in the previous versions.

The workaround for 4.2.0 & 4.2.1, is to create a region FX first, then re-select the detection algorithm. Once you've done this, melodyne operates normally and you can drag the audio to MIDI.

The other workaround, is to re-install the older version (4.1.x) if you still have it.

Edited by msmcleod
Corrected version numbers
  • Like 3

Thanks Mark, but the wrong detection logarithm if I understand  correctly would result in a conversion l but it would be all one note.  I checked and mine was set to "automatic"  I guess I could try changing it to melodic but I have a feeling this is not the issue here. 

My scenario today was Melodyne freezing Cakewalk.  It seemed random that it would work. 

There is a big difference in the 2 versions Below is the one that didn't work therefore my question. The one that did work is the one shown above and is much older going by the version numbers. Therefore my question.. Is the newer version working for everyone?  

2019-03-09 (1).png

Edited by Cactus Music

7 hours ago, Cactus Music said:

Thanks Mark, but the wrong detection logarithm if I understand  correctly would result in a conversion l but it would be all one note.  I checked and mine was set to "automatic"  I guess I could try changing it to melodic but I have a feeling this is not the issue here. 

My scenario today was Melodyne freezing Cakewalk.  It seemed random that it would work. 

There is a big difference in the 2 versions Below is the one that didn't work therefore my question. The one that did work is the one shown above and is much older going by the version numbers. Therefore my question.. Is the newer version working for everyone?  

2019-03-09 (1).png

It ends up having NO algorithm when using it via ARA only (i.e. when Melodyne isn't loaded in a region fx) , which is what causes Cakewalk to freeze.

Loading it as a Region FX (which you've obviously done in your screenshot) fixes the crash, however sometimes you have to reselect the algorithm for it to actually detect properly. Some people have found it remembers it for the rest of the session, others it happens every time.

The issue was well documented on the old forum at the time:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Melodyne-420020-Update-m3787050.aspx

http://forum.cakewalk.com/New-Melodyne-Update-in-CbB-m3787454.aspx

I'm sure there was an official statement from Celemony at some point recognising the problem, but I can lo longer find it.

Edited by msmcleod

M4 is roughly 6 times slower than M2, especially if you are doing a long clip. M2 will do an entire 3-minute master track in roughly 10 seconds, but takes about a minute in M4. Some of this is due to all of the spectral modification utilities added to M4. It may not actually be hung up, just taking forever. Cakewalk "not responding" could simply be waiting for M4 to finish its thing. That benchmark was on a 2600K, and only M4 was loaded on this 8700K with no noticeable improvement.

I have asked Celemony about this a couple of times and they always say "a little longer," but a better solution would be to either create a "light" mode for M4 (so it only processes as M2 did), or allow for previous M2 users to use both versions on the same machine (which was stripped by relinquishing the M2 license during the upgrade). Neither of these seem to be on the plate, so keeping M2 "in tact" on another machine by keeping it offline is the only workaround that I know of.

Edited by mettelus

This concerns me more and more,  these days it is difficult for the software (and hardware) users to find out which updates/upgrades are worth to be installed. Sometimes it is even the case that you get serious drawbacks with new versions (e.g. today's license models and update control, it gets worse and worse).

George Orwell was right, but he confused the date. It is today not 1984.

Thanks for the replies and  Mark for the links. I remember those threads now. I think it is why I passed on the upgrade offer to Studio.  

I do have all my old installers but for the few times I will be using it I'll just perform the regional effect trick and see if that works. 

I might be using the vocal pitch correction as my partner is not exactly a great singer. 

Has anybody ever dragged the blobs to create a harmony part?  

33 minutes ago, Cactus Music said:

Has anybody ever dragged the blobs to create a harmony part?  

Yes. What I do is duplicate the track, and move the blobs up or down, for the harmony that I'm after.  You can also enable "snap to pitch," and then move the blobs around. I have Melodyne Studio, so I'm not sure if "snap to pitch,"  is available in all versions of Melodyne.  You can use the formant tool, and the random deviations  to make it sound more realistic.  Again, I'm not sure those tools are available with your version of Melodyne. 

Getting back to your original problem, I'm not sure that is a Melodyne issue.  I've been using Melodyne with Reaper, with ARA2 and so far it has worked perfectly. 

Edited by S.L.I.P.

6 hours ago, msmcleod said:

It ends up having NO algorithm when using it via ARA only (i.e. when Melodyne isn't loaded in a region fx) , which is what causes Cakewalk to freeze.

Loading it as a Region FX (which you've obviously done in your screenshot) fixes the crash, however sometimes you have to reselect the algorithm for it to actually detect properly. Some people have found it remembers it for the rest of the session, others it happens every time.

I'm sure there was an official statement from Celemony at some point recognising the problem, but I can lo longer find it.

MSMCLEOD is correct. I gave up on Melodyne with version 4 after constant crashing. To make sure it just wasn’t taking a long time, I took a 10 second clip and gave it 30 minutes.  Nothing. But now, every time I convert an audio clip to midi I load it as a Region FX and have never think about which algorithm it is. Maybe I’m just lucky, but no crashes.

Well it is a Melodyne  4 bug because the first clip I converted was the longest clip ( about 2 min. long )  and it converted normally as in the past in about 30 -40 seconds. It was the second clip that would not go ( about 45 secs. long )  and there was no difference in material. Just a Audio bass track with absolutely no embellishments. Not even pro channel. 

I just did an experiment and the tracks converted every time IF  I first open Melodyne and set the process from "automatic" to "Melodic" .  I do believe this glitch is at the heart of the issue. Obviously "automatic"  does not work. The audio shows as one pitch until you toggle over to "melodic".  Automatic seems the default and returns each time with new projects. 

And as said, Cakewalk is not crashing, there's no error message, Just the little wheel going round and round forever and a day. 

Task manager shows Cakewalk as "running" but if you tray and close it, it then shows as "not responding" 

But I will mark this as solved as I now have a clear understanding so thanks everyone for your insight. 

22 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I participated in that thread I think.

My emails to Melodyne produced zilch - their position is that it must be a problem in Cakewalk. It's certainly a pain; I keep meaning to un-install and re-install the old version.