Please add "End of Song" functionality

SloHand Solo

It'd be great to have the ability to mark the end of the song, or truncate all remaining measures.  Having vast amounts of empty measures causes problems for me when bouncing tracks.  If I forget to select the range, CW selects all the empty measures, and then I have to restart the bounce.  Otherwise it'll compile for hours.

Thx :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cakewalk does not select empty measures at the end of a project. Select all selects through the last bit of data. To truncate a project, move the Now marker to the "end" of the project Select All then Select From Now then Delete Special (make sure all data types are selected in the delete special dialog). This should remove all data to the right of the Now marker

• Thanks 2

I've tried all these steps before.  

My current project incorrectly shows over 25k measures, after the end of the song @ 202.  I select all (ctrl+a), and it does select all the empty measures.  I select all the empty measures, for all tracks, then delete special (delete hole as well).  After delete, still have all the empty measures.  I've tried manually deleting any remaining automation nodes, and making sure there aren't any remaining events, in the events viewer.

I'm a longtime programmer, and Cakewalk user, going waaaaay back to 3.1 (LOL)!  So, I'm confident that I'm doing everything right.  I gave up on this months ago, but thought that a better solution was to have some sort of special functionality to mark the end of the song.

29 minutes ago, scook said:

Try delete with ripple edit enabled (ripple edit addresses problems with "delete hole").

If the problem persists there may be a problem with your project template(s). If this is the case, consider building new project template(s).

No luck.  But I had been thinking the same, about the template.  I brought this project back to life from CW 8.5.  I figured it was some bug from migrating to the current version, since all the advice I had been getting led me to believe that deleting the extra measures should have worked.  

Thanks

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@Jeffrey Benson and @CosmicDolphin,

Have either of you submitted a support request here?  https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Jeffrey you have a project actively exhibiting the issue.  CosmicDolphin seems to also be able to easily induce the symptom.  Your projects might provide support with the data needed to minimize the symptom or resolve the root issue.  Chances are even though your symptoms are similar they may be caused by different underlying issues.

Cakewalk by BandLab appears to place a high priority on resolving underlying root causes that create issues that have simmered long term.  However, they need help both with identifying the symptoms and acquiring product that exhibit defined symptoms.  Helping them helps all CbB users.

Edited by fogle622
  • Great Idea 1

3 hours ago, fogle622 said:

@Jeffrey Benson and @CosmicDolphin,

Have either of you submitted a support request here?  https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

No, to be fair it's been this way for many years and I have just learned to work around it and never really thought very deeply about how it occurs..I used 8.5 for about 9 yrs and that also did it.

@CosmicDolphin I agree that it maybe easier to workaround your issue since it has existed for such a long period of time.  But times have changed.  Cakewalk management has changed and now is the time to see if you can make a lasting difference in the product.  Why not give it a chance and see how the system works now? 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I, too, have been experiencing CW not stopping at the end of a song.

I tried all the solutions I could find on new and old message boards, and nothing seemed to work.

I just started working on a new song, so rather than start with a previous song as a "template", I saved out all tracks as template tracks and brought them into my project individually, checking if CW would play for each group I brought in.  Nothing played (as expected) because there was no MIDI or audio data in the project.

Next, I created a 4-measure open 5th chord for my ambient pads.  I stretched it to cover 4 measures and made it a loop clip.  I had it in just the first of my 5 ambient synth tracks.  I clicked "Play", and it played for 4 measures and stopped.  Cheered on by this minor victory, I copied it to each successive track and tested.  It stopped until I got to the fifth and final ambient pad track.  When the loop clip was copied to that track, CW kept on playing, even though there was no note data, no special data, no automation, no anything!

At that point, I deleted the clip from that track and re-tested, and CW stopped at the end again.  After that bit of verification, I split the track into the synth and MIDI tracks to see what was up.

After removing the audio FX (one at a time and re-testing each time), and getting nowhere, I looked at the MIDI track, and there was the Cakewalk FX Arpeggiator in the track FX box.  I deleted the arpeggiator and re-tested, and CW stopped at the end of the song!  After an undo, I simply turned off the arpeggiator and re-tested, and CW  likewise stopped at the end of the song.

I tried attaching the CW FX Arpeggiator to the loop clip instead of to the MIDI track, and I got arpeggiation without CW fritzing out and trying to play beyond the end of the song!  HOWEVER! While this avoids the problem with not stopping at the end of the song, it is a pain to have to attach the FX to all my loop clips on that track, or having to bounce the whole bit to a single clip and apply once, and hope I don't need to change anything.

Ideally, CW would just stop at the end, regardless of having the Arpeggiator FX attached to the track, but at least there's an identifiable reason that isn't "Just delete the invisible data beyond the end of the song." : )

Hopefully, this bit of info will help BandLab figure out a real solution, and will help other CW users not pull out their hair in the interim.

16 hours ago, rwksict said:

I looked at the MIDI track, and there was the Cakewalk FX Arpeggiator in the track FX box.  I deleted the arpeggiator and re-tested, and CW stopped at the end of the song!

As far as I know, if MIDI FX (like Echo delay or Arpeggiator) that duplicates or generates additional MIDI signals is enabled on MIDI track and that pronunciation timing of these duplicated/additionally generated signals by MIDI FX exceeds the end point of the project, the end point of the project is ignored and playback does not stop. (this behavior has not changed since Sonar days)

On 5/2/2023 at 9:27 PM, rwksict said:

Hopefully, this bit of info will help BandLab figure out a real solution, and will help other CW users not pull out their hair in the interim.

It will stand a greater chance if you submit it to Support. The devs do participate in the forum but they don't read everything, and zombie topics like this one are some of the least likely to be noticed.