Please add "End of Song" functionality

SloHand Solo

Not a clean solution but if you create one Arranger Track the length of your song, you can use it to select data only in the time range you need.

I also have problems sometimes with songs that add a lot of empty space at the end of my MP3's.

• Great Idea 1

• 3 weeks later...

Out of habit, I add Start and End markers to the project. Then I just select those in the Advanced export view. I also always export from my Master bus, and do not use any of the "Entire song...", or "What you hear..." etc. options. A few more clicks, but usually always the end result I'm going for.

It would actually be nice to be able to have special Start and End markers, that the export would know about and you could export with them. I've saved the export setups (or whatever they are called), but for some reason they don't always follow changes made to the project.

• Great Idea 2

On 5/7/2023 at 3:51 PM, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Because it's been happening for a couple of decades

And these are suggestions for things to fix, so if people still find issue with it, it's worth putting on the roadmap. Stray automation nodes have been the bane of my existence for decades. I would love to see this suggestion implemented. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 10:33 AM, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Ctrl+End, then add marker to indicate the end.

Doesn't work for the situation I outlined.  Cakewalk happily plays beyond the marker.

Edited by rwksict

On 5/6/2023 at 3:32 AM, Starship Krupa said:

It will stand a greater chance if you submit it to Support. The devs do participate in the forum but they don't read everything, and zombie topics like this one are some of the least likely to be noticed.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I did send this to support, but I wanted to post my findings for others to know about the cause/effect.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 6:44 PM, Byron Dickens said:

Delete everything that comes after where you want the song to end. Done.

I know my post was rather long, so perhaps you missed the part where there was nothing to delete, and the part where removing the MIDI arpeggiator fixed the problem.  Thus, the real issue is identified - not rogue data after where I want the song to end that needs deleted, but a problem with the MIDI arpeggiator.

My post was detailed in my steps so that others, if interested, could replicate my process to see that one doesn't need obscure control data after the desired song endpoint for CBB to continue playing, and others to realize that the possible source of their playback-not-stopping problems is not fixed by "delete everything that comes after where you want the song to end" kinds of solutions.  While that can be a solution, it is not always a solution, and this is proof. 

On 5/8/2023 at 8:53 AM, rfssongs said:

Not a clean solution but if you create one Arranger Track the length of your song, you can use it to select data only in the time range you need.

I also have problems sometimes with songs that add a lot of empty space at the end of my MP3's.

Oddly, I don't have a problem with export not stopping where I want, just live playback.  When I select all, the proper song length exists, CBB just won't stop live playback at the end.  Strange that the MIDI arpeggiator is the culprit.

On 5/3/2023 at 4:41 PM, HIBI said:

As far as I know, if MIDI FX (like Echo delay or Arpeggiator) that duplicates or generates additional MIDI signals is enabled on MIDI track and that pronunciation timing of these duplicated/additionally generated signals by MIDI FX exceeds the end point of the project, the end point of the project is ignored and playback does not stop. (this behavior has not changed since Sonar days)

Thanks for this.  I tried another experiment, freezing the track with the MIDI arpeggiator.  The resulting audio track did indeed extend beyond the end of the song by about a measure and a half.  As an audio track, this merely pushed the end of the song out that far, but CBB did stop playback at the end.  Unfreezing the track reverted to the non-stopping playback issue.

With that, I tried removing some of the clips so that the "overhang" would not exceed the intended end of the song.  The results were mixed:

1. If I began playback in a measure that did not have any MIDI data on the arpeggiated track, and no MIDI data existed on that track from that point through the end of the song, playback would stop correctly.
    1. If playback began in an empty measure, but the track did contain MIDI data between the start of playback and the end of the song, playback would not stop.
  2. If I began playback in a measure containing MIDI data (notes) on the arpeggiated track, playback would not stop.
    1. UNLESS the arpeggiated track was muted, in which case playback would stop.

I also tried adding an automation control point beyond where the frozen track audio endpoint was, to see if this would prevent MIDI signal on the unfrozen arpeggiated track from overlapping the endpoint, but playback did not stop.  

It would appear that if the MIDI arpeggiator is applied to the track and does anything from the start of playback, CBB will not stop at the end of the song, regardless of when in the song the arpeggiation happens.

Any chance you may have "hidden" tracks?  I've run into that before, where unexpected things sometimes happen.

H is the shortcut to open the Track Manager, where you can see if you might have any hidden tracks.

Edited by tparker24
typo

11 hours ago, rwksict said:

Doesn't work for the situation I outlined.  Cakewalk happily plays beyond the marker.

I always insert markers for the beginning and end of my projects.  I then  set my Start and end points to those markers. I then never have issues with rendering/exports.

Bob Bone

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/8/2023 at 7:49 PM, tparker24 said:

Any chance you may have "hidden" tracks?  I've run into that before, where unexpected things sometimes happen.

H is the shortcut to open the Track Manager, where you can see if you might have any hidden tracks.

No hidden tracks - I started my test in a new project with no tracks.  But that can be a cause of what I'm seeing, it's just not the cause in this case.

The arpeggiator is the culprit in my situation.  Freezing the track or deleting the arpeggiator resolves the problem of live playback not stopping.

Edited by rwksict
Added information

On 6/9/2023 at 12:53 AM, Robert Bone said:

I always insert markers for the beginning and end of my projects.  I then  set my Start and end points to those markers. I then never have issues with rendering/exports.

Bob Bone

As I stated previously, I don't have problems with exports, just with live playback.  In fact, exports work fine even without markers. 

When I added markers to test, CBB ignores the markers during live playback because of the arpeggiator.  It's possible that other FX could do the same thing, but I didn't test any others because I wasn't using them.

That said, if there are other causes of CBB ignoring endpoints, your suggestion may help someone else, so thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...