VU-Meter for Gain Control

Harry C.

Hi, for me this is wasted space of the EQ curve from the ProChannel. Because many of them are not used at all or only displayed statically. In my opinion it would make more sense to use the space for a VU meter to have an overview of the input levels at any time. See left side of the picture. This is also good for gainstaging. What do you think?

VU-Meter-in-Cakewalk.jpg

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

Just curious... in a digital environment, why would you prefer a VU meter over the meter next to the fader for monitoring input gain? During recording, I'd think you'd only be concerned about avoiding clipping.

As for gainstaging, with the 32/64bit float audio engine, you pretty much can't clip a bus input, even if you are hitting it at +20 or more (although some plugins might not like this).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Harry C. said:

Because the meter next to the fader shows the output gain, not the input signal.

On an audio track, while record-enabled, it shows the level of the input signal.

Edited by sreams

Harry C.

I love this idea! It’s perfect for gain staging use, especially for those who are use to reading VU meters versus the digital method.

I use Pro-Channel a lot, especially the EQ,  just to clean up the low end before I add any plug-ins to the FX Bin, and actually use the little EQ window as a quick way to open the large pro-channel EQ plugin without having to slide open the pro-channel track column.

I think the Bakers should implement your idea, but also keep the pro-channel EQ window as well; they should make it so there’s a drop menu and each person can choose what they want to show in the window.

Sincerely,

FIP GeBall