AmpliTube Brian May - $/€99.99 $/€69.99
Hitmaker: EDM - $/€49.99 $/€24.99
L.A. Confidential - $/€99.99 $/€49.99
Clavitube - $/€79.99 $/€39.99

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SmokeyJ628 said:

What's been the verdict on MODO Drum?  Those who have it, do you like it?

it's an interesting idea - 'modelled' drums...and sampled cymbals.  

Not many velocity layers, despite IKM saying 'infinite' - and the modelling doesn't give better results than sampling, actually worse.

obviously just my opinion - spend the money on Superior Drummer 3 and one of the recent expansion (legacy or rock / decades / hansa) - probably costs more but MILES better

Some will chime in and say get BFD3 - and that sounds good (not as good as SD3 IMO) but fxpansion future seems really really shakey at the moment....and Toontrack are on fire with their recent releases

• Like 2

Just now, cclarry said:

The greatest advantage to MODO is saving disk space...but not on the level
of SD3 or BFD3...

SD3 has become quite the HOG diskspace wise...but they all sound GREAT!

I know - you have to factor in an extra SSD just for the expansions. $$$$ 

they seem to be coming at nearly 200gig nowadays.

They are still actively developing SD3 and I find the GUI the best of the lot....just wish they'd update EZkeys to the EZbass/SD3 style interface.  I'd happily pay for that upgrade even if there was nothing else included.

FWIW I've tried emailing the new (old?) BFD3 team (skott/angus/etc) - on their new, improved support email address.  Zero response..and I see lots of people on the old, derelict and spam filled fxpansion forum saying the same thing.  Not good news and a real shame.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, cclarry said:

We'll probably get the new interface the next iteration of EZKeys ...
They have to leave "some things" to improve for new versions...LOL

I'm guessing that EZkeys is a big earner for TT - with all those midi pack addons - so I suspect we'll see a new v2 GUI for that next year.

• Like 1

I don't know, plenty have had great things to say and have achieved realistic drum sounds etc.

1. There's a demo so you can get your own idea about how powerful MODO DRUM really is.

2. Ryan did a great live stream and showed off a lot of what MODO DRUM can do, which would pair nicely (like a nice wine or proper beer with your dinner, whatever you enjoy) with demoing it for yourself:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

I don't know, plenty have had great things to say and have achieved realistic drum sounds etc.

1. There's a demo so you can get your own idea about how powerful MODO DRUM really is.

2. Ryan did a great live stream and showed off a lot of what MODO DRUM can do, which would pair nicely (like a nice wine or proper beer with your dinner, whatever you enjoy) with demoing it for yourself:

I'm not saying it's terrible - I bought it (but never use it) - and yes you can get realistic drum sounds out of it - but TT and BFD have pushed the goalposts so far that it's really not in the big league.

As Larry pointed out - it does have a small data footprint, although as many have pointed out, getting IKM stuff to install where you want isn't as simple as you might hope.  Also has a lot of midi grooves if that's important to you.

I defy anybody to fire up SD3 with legacy of rock SDX and not say WOW.    

obviously everybody has an opinion - although I'm not employed by TT or IKM :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Would appreciate some direct comprarisons.. youtube, soundcloud, mp3, etc

there are loads of examples of both apps on youtube.

what you can't always tell from the examples are the nuances in the triggering of the sounds.  I trigger via v-drums and SD3 feels far more real.  Hihats have the ability to be very subtle for example - and the transmuting between open/close is far better than the competition.  Even if you play via a keyboard it just feels more 'real'.

It's a bit like playing a guitar - it's not all about the final sound (although SD3 sounds better than MODO IMO) it's how it plays.... how it responds.

even more off topic - that's why I never feel amp sims are as good as a real amp.  They sound good but they don't quite feel the same as a 100w stack on full volume.  The way the guitar becomes alive at that volume - and it sings and resonates - the way the cabinet buzzes and the room vibrates - impossible to reproduce that in a sim.

2 minutes ago, tom said:

Are we likely to see more sales on toontrack over Black Friday or is this 40% off packs the best we’re going to see? I’ve decided to go for SD3 and trying to figure if I should wait for more deals

worth watching this thread - and take a look at the deals from the last couple of years - this is a good guide to what might happen

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chris.r said:

one question to those with Modo drum installed - how much disc space does it take after installation? thx

not in front of that computer at the moment - their website says 20gig but that includes downloading/installing etc - think it's  less than 10gig from memory - most of that is cymbals - much smaller than most of the competition.    

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chris.r said:

one question to those with Modo drum installed - how much disc space does it take after installation? thx

3 minutes ago, simon said:

not in front of that computer at the moment - their website says 20gig but that includes downloading/installing etc - think it's  less than 10gig from memory - most of that is cymbals - much smaller than most of the competition.    

Must have posted at the same time as simon :) I am at my PC and it is showing as 11Gb on my system using explorer properties (11.1Gb using Treesize Free).

Edited by ZincT
  • Thanks 2