Huge price drops on Samsung 1TB Portable SSDs (T5 & T7)

Kal S

T7 Touch 1 TB is now 189.99

Why are affiliate marketing links okay in this post and many others? 

When I used them a few times there was a whole post done where people got together to discuss what a jerk I am. 🤬 It took a long time after that for me to start to feel welcome on this forum again.  The links cost nothing to anybody, but they gave me a few dollar during a time when I wasn't working.

@cclarry  What are  the rules for this forum?  Larry, you are the one doing the heavy lifting to get people to come here.  IMHO if anybody should get commissions it should be you. 

But if affiliate commissions are allowed, then maybe there should be a policy, like labeling them as affiliate links or displaying  the entire links. 

What do people think?

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 6

There were only two odd newbs after you, Reid. And they probably wouldn’t have done it if they knew you. Everyone else didn’t bother at all.  Which is how it should be. You’re a Cakie, always were, always will be. One of us. Always welcome. 

As for a policy, maybe that’s a good idea, especially if it could help our king. But all in all I find this forum one of the best around because we seem to get along fine without too many rules and regulations. I guess that’s what makes the Cake forum unique and draws people in. Hell, I don’t even use Sonar. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

When I used them a few times there was a whole post done where people got together to discuss what a jerk I am. 🤬 It took a long time after that for me to start to feel welcome on this forum again.  The links cost nothing to anybody, but they gave me a few dollar during a time when I wasn't working.

@cclarry  What are  the rules for this forum?  Larry, you are the one doing the heavy lifting to get people to come here.  IMHO if anybody should get commissions it should be you. 

But if affiliate commissions are allowed, then maybe there should be a policy, like labeling them as affiliate links or displaying  the entire links. 

What do people think?

I don't have any problem with "affiliate links", nor do I think that the forum has a "rule" against it!
Post what you want...and let the chips fall where they may!  THEY don't make the rules....

• Like 5

I'm gonna slightly (and very respectfully and politely) disagree a little bit and not trying to argue !!!

I don't have a problem with affiliate links at all but I would feel better about it if the poster just mentioned it - We all know who Reid is and that's great and everybody values his input, especially his Black Friday lists.....hopefully same this year ? - but I didn't recognise Kal_S or notice that those links were affiliate. 

I'd be more than happy for Reid or anybody to get a kickback for posting a deal but I'd just like to know about it.   I feel transparency is always better - especially when people are selling stuff.  It's not quite the same but I've definitely seen vendors on here pretending to be punters, pointing out sales and saying how great stuff is.    It should be the same rules for everyone - probably even larry too !!!! (although I think vendors should supply larry with free licences for all he does !)

just my 2c obviously. 🕊️

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, simon said:

(although I think vendors should supply larry with free licences for all he does !)

just my 2c obviously. 🕊️

Ha....that's funny! 

In all fairness, and transparency, a few years ago, ONE actually DID,
and I am ETERNALLY GRATEFUL to them!  They make some of the BEST
VI's that I know of....so it was a MASSIVE GIFT from them, and I am deeply,
and humbly in their debt!  It won't affect my "judgement", nor will it influence
me to "promote a product that I don't feel deserves it", because I don't play
"Politics" with regards to these, or plugins, but THEY DESERVE IT!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, simon said:

I'm gonna slightly (and very respectfully and politely) disagree a little bit and not trying to argue !!!

I don't have a problem with affiliate links at all but I would feel better about it if the poster just mentioned it - We all know who Reid is and that's great and everybody values his input, especially his Black Friday lists.....hopefully same this year ? - but I didn't recognise Kal_S or notice that those links were affiliate. 

I'd be more than happy for Reid or anybody to get a kickback for posting a deal but I'd just like to know about it.   I feel transparency is always better - especially when people are selling stuff.  It's not quite the same but I've definitely seen vendors on here pretending to be punters, pointing out sales and saying how great stuff is.    It should be the same rules for everyone - probably even larry too !!!! (although I think vendors should supply larry with free licences for all he does !)

just my 2c obviously. 🕊️

Thanks Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cclarry said:

In all fairness, and transparency, a few years ago, ONE actually DID,
and I am ETERNALLY GRATEFUL to them!  They make some of the BEST
VI's that I know of....so it was a MASSIVE GIFT from them, and I am deeply,
and humbly in their debt!  It won't affect my "judgement", nor will it influence
me to "promote a product that I don't feel deserves it", because I don't play
"Politics" with regards to these, or plugins, but THEY DESERVE IT!

I still can't understand why they don't - and I'm sure you wouldn't be influenced or if you are I wouldn't actually care - but you probably sell more product than most sales teams.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

What do people think?

FWIW I don't even know how to tell if a link is an affiliate link or not and I don't really care one way or the other*. I always figured that when Larry posted something that said use code FORUM, for example, that was a way for the vendor to keep track of what had come via him so that he would get something out of it and if he did then good luck to him. AFAIC if the price is "worth it" to me, then I don't care who gets what.

Now for the *...........

Where it would seem a little disingenuous to me is if the OP in question was actively encouraging people to buy something rather than just providing a link. I have come to trust the opinions and judgement of many here regarding the quality and usefulness of various products and I guess I would be disappointed if I learned that they were all just sales reps in disguise.

On the other hand if somebody comes out and openly says I'm a rep for so and so and here's the thing that I'm plugging today, then I have no issue with that.

• Like 1