Don't Talk To Me

Douglas Kirby

Hi Everybody,

This is a track off of the album I'm currently working on called "The Westerly Sessions Vol. IV". 

The lead vocal was sung with an AT4040 through an ART MPA Gold mic preamp. I also used Overloud's GEM Voice on the lead and backing vocal.

The lead guitar parts were played with my Fender Strat using TH-U.

The keys parts are EZKeys - mostly using the Mellotron.

As always, any comments and critiques are welcome, and thanks for listening.

Here it is:

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14140110

Edited by Douglas Kirby
  • Like 2

Doug,

The usual good instrumentation and production work, but this is one of the few songs of yours that doesn't quite work (for me anyway.)  The spacing between words is too long IMO. Found myself wanting to jump in and sing the next bit of lyric. So I think the lyrics could use some tightening for better flow.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

Ray Davies? Douglas Kirby? 

I've brought that up in the past, I've concluded that Doug is Kirby; simple as that.

My only crit, I'd throw a high pass on the guitar; its sucking up a lot of the low end clarity.

Otherwise, totally up to Kirby standards!

👍

t

ok, closing thoughts, at 6:09 I'd be "trimming the fat"; That Is Not A Suggestion, just what I would do.
Doug its your song, your production; well done!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Doug,

The usual good instrumentation and production work, but this is one of the few songs of yours that doesn't quite work (for me anyway.)  The spacing between words is too long IMO. Found myself wanting to jump in and sing the next bit of lyric. So I think the lyrics could use some tightening for better flow.

Hi Bjorn - thanks for listening and for your honest opinion.  This song was sort of experimental for me - I wrote the bass line first with a drum groove, and I then added everything else. I really didn't know what to do with it for awhile, so I figured I'd use EZKeys and some lead guitar parts to make it work. I know what you mean regarding the phrasing of the lyrics - but it seems to work for me - it's a bit different.

4 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I've brought that up in the past, I've concluded that Doug is Kirby; simple as that.

My only crit, I'd throw a high pass on the guitar; its sucking up a lot of the low end clarity.

Otherwise, totally up to Kirby standards!

👍

t

ok, closing thoughts, at 6:09 I'd be "trimming the fat"; That Is Not A Suggestion, just what I would do.
Doug its your song, your production; well done!

Hi Tom - thanks for giving my song a listen. I did put a high pass on the guitars - perhaps I should cut a bit more. Regarding the length - it is a bit long - I guess I could classify it as an album track, not a single😀 Playing with the EZKeys Mellotoon was fun on this one - it has quite a few interesting voices/instruments.

• Like 1