2020.11 Feedback

Morten Saether

Dear CBB team,

Can the team have a look at this issue, which I posted about in the Forum awhile back as well.  Also sent it to support (Issue: 449386), who requested the wav file, but have not heard anything back yet.  I've been through the typical audio setting/adjustment things on my own and with support, with no success. 

Issue: Possible issue when Cakewalk tries to import/sample convert IEEE-32 Bit floating point WAV files.

Sample that for me causes the issue:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8x6ug2m7r9our7/AW2_Grave_Digger_Piano_Fm_135bpm_1.wav?dl=0

How I am able to see the issue:

1) Unzip the file and put it somewhere you can point the CBB browser to it.
2) Try previewing the sample in the CBB browser. It should play as normal.
3) Create a new Basic Project (or create a project that has an Audio Track).
4) Drag/Drop, or Insert the sample on the audio track, and then play it.

On my system, this ends up having some large pop and crackles and slight stuttering of the sample.  I can replicate the issue on other 34-bit IEEE-floating point samples as well.  I don't seem to have the issue with any PCM wav files.

It does not appear to be an audio driver/setting issue, because I can import and then export the track to wav file, and the audio distortion/crackling is there as well.

Also, when I tried this with Sonar X3, both the preview AND the import were corrupted!  This has lead me to think there was an issue that got fixed in the CBB browser, but not in the import.

I have not been able to replicate this issue in any of my other software besides Cakewalk.  Sample also plays fine in Windows Media Player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a problem. Cutting is not accurate as it should be. This cause timing issue later in the project. This wasn't the case in the previous version 2020.11.90

Stumbled on this while messing around with some beatboxing. 

Overlap.png

1906075692_Overlap2.thumb.png.3e616b419b07a0e31c3159e9f58b9c53.png

Edited by Will_Kaydo

On 12/30/2020 at 12:11 AM, forkol said:

Dear CBB team,

Can the team have a look at this issue, which I posted about in the Forum awhile back as well.  Also sent it to support (Issue: 449386), who requested the wav file, but have not heard anything back yet.  I've been through the typical audio setting/adjustment things on my own and with support, with no success. 

Issue: Possible issue when Cakewalk tries to import/sample convert IEEE-32 Bit floating point WAV files.

Sample that for me causes the issue:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8x6ug2m7r9our7/AW2_Grave_Digger_Piano_Fm_135bpm_1.wav?dl=0

How I am able to see the issue:

1) Unzip the file and put it somewhere you can point the CBB browser to it.
2) Try previewing the sample in the CBB browser. It should play as normal.
3) Create a new Basic Project (or create a project that has an Audio Track).
4) Drag/Drop, or Insert the sample on the audio track, and then play it.

On my system, this ends up having some large pop and crackles and slight stuttering of the sample.  I can replicate the issue on other 34-bit IEEE-floating point samples as well.  I don't seem to have the issue with any PCM wav files.

It does not appear to be an audio driver/setting issue, because I can import and then export the track to wav file, and the audio distortion/crackling is there as well.

Also, when I tried this with Sonar X3, both the preview AND the import were corrupted!  This has lead me to think there was an issue that got fixed in the CBB browser, but not in the import.

I have not been able to replicate this issue in any of my other software besides Cakewalk.  Sample also plays fine in Windows Media Player.

@forkol you ran into an obscure very old bug with acidized file import. Apparently your file is authored by a plugin called Edison from FL Studio (I found this in the files metadata). This plugin is writing information into the ACID chunk of the file which confuses our import code into thinking that it was a REX loop. Hence on playback it was using rex stretching and generating the clicks. I've fixed it for our next CbB release. 

Big thanks to Cakewalk Team about all and i see Cakewalk can be best DAW I love this DAW very much and here in this DAW i can be more creative than in other DAWS what i used. In Cakewalk Music production is easy task and enjoyable  and i can get results faster than in other DAWS. Cakewalk is Beast and Piano roll is best.

Edited by solarlux

On 1/12/2021 at 2:57 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

@forkol you ran into an obscure very old bug with acidized file import. Apparently your file is authored by a plugin called Edison from FL Studio (I found this in the files metadata). This plugin is writing information into the ACID chunk of the file which confuses our import code into thinking that it was a REX loop. Hence on playback it was using rex stretching and generating the clicks. I've fixed it for our next CbB release. 

Thanks, @Noel Borthwick.  CBB support wanted me to screenshot my audio driver settings to them, but I reminded them that I could replicate this without any audio driver at all, and to contact you further about this issue, so looks like they did.  

I purchased several sample packs over the holidays, and this is where I ran into the issue, I was seeing it in many files when I went to audition them. Edison is a standalone (and VST) audio editor made by FL Studio.  That bug is definitely very strange -- ACIDdized wave file metadata would have been part of the WAV file format written originally by Sonic Foundry (The original software company that made the ACID DAW)  So why would having ACID metadata would CBB think it's a REX file, which is a file format originally from Propelleheads?  I guess it doesn't matter now -- I'm just glad it has a solution, otherwise, I was going to have to hunt down and fix all the affected samples!  Thanks again for you and CBB support staff, and looking forward to the fix.

On 1/12/2021 at 12:44 PM, Will_Kaydo said:

This is a problem. Cutting is not accurate as it should be. This cause timing issue later in the project. This wasn't the case in the previous version 2020.11.90

Stumbled on this while messing around with some beatboxing. 

Overlap.png

1906075692_Overlap2.thumb.png.3e616b419b07a0e31c3159e9f58b9c53.png

@Will_Kaydo - can you send this project to @Jonathan Sasor so we can take a look at it?

Thanks.

3 hours ago, forkol said:

So why would having ACID metadata would CBB think it's a REX file, which is a file format originally from Propelleheads? 

As I said it's an obscure issue ;)

Yes acid is not related to red directly but inside our code we leverage the same acid structures while handling rex files. Hence the confusion because apparently that app is writing data that confused our code. 

Irrespective the issue has been solved.

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@Will_Kaydo - can you send this project to @Jonathan Sasor so we can take a look at it?

Thanks.

Thanks for the response. I don't have this project saved, but im sure I can send a fresh one - with a cut on any sample. 

To fix this: After making your cuts - you have to zoom in and either crop back or add a filler for the length to fit the bar.

You can't just do your cut; crossfades, bounce it and loop them. That zoom is required to fix things. 

I'll send a project in a minute. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo