2020.11 Feedback

Morten Saether

**SOLVED**:  I posted this issue in the wrong thread earlier.  I am copy/pasting here with updated info:

I was not experiencing any of the issues previously noted but I opted to do the update anyway (26.11.0.098). Now I have several issues I did not have before.

1. When recording audio I do not see the waveform preview while recording.  Once the recording session is stopped the waveform is generated as expected.  However this is annoying since I am not able to receive any realtime visual feedback.

2. I have completely lost ALL ability to record MIDI.

Another user posted a link allowing me to rollback to 2020.09 (Thanks Steve Harder), unfortunately reverting back to 2020.09 does NOT fix my new issues.  Something is definitely broken now.   Opening Sonar Platinum reveals all works as expected. 

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Note:  Completely uninstalling and re-installing CW does not fix my issues.  I might have to go into the registry to completely wipe CbB off of my machine.  This is really frustrating.  I was just starting a new project.

Thanks in advance

**SOLVED**:  Project were corrupted after the update.  My project is basically trash now and have to copy/paste to fix it!

Rich

Edited by Richard Arizmendi

I can think of only one thing offhand, and this is something that all the versions of CW I've used do this, so it isn't unique to v.11, but I may as well mention in the hopes it might be addressed in the future.

When I'm in the piano roll, for a particular track there may be all these CC events at the bottom, but only a few actually pertain to that track -- or channel. You can delete these events by clicking on the little box next to them, but they don't stay deleted. If I switch to another track, then switch back to the original, all the CC events have returned. I always prefer that, if I delete something, it stays deleted.

Also, I've run into at least one situation where the volume that is controlling a channel is not associated with that channel number. I have an example where the channel's number is 1 but the CC Volume that is controlling it is 6. And I don't have a channel 6 even in use. I don't understand this.

Edited by Michael McBroom

Hi! 

I usually control drums with a Millenium digital kit via MIDI. But since the last update, the kit is not recognized by Cakewalk anymore. It pops up in the MIDI devices as "e-drum" as usual, and if I hotplug/unplug it, those events will be recognized with the usual alerts. But no note data appears, I cannot record. All settings in the EZ Drummer plugin are as they should, and have been.

The standalone EZ Drummer app works fine, proving that the problem is not the kit, the cable or the MIDI port. Will try to downgrade, but could there be some explanation to this? 
EDIT: Now I see other people have had problem recording external MIDI too. Some fix ahead, hopefully.

Apart from this, thank you for a program that is a delight to use!

Regards,
Johan Bryntesson

Edited by Johan Bryntesson

Hello, I have been having strange problems with midi with this latest update. If I record some midi notes on a vst and play it back. It sometimes just skips notes? The next time I play it plays fine. But it keeps happening. Any idea? Or fix?

1 hour ago, synthnl said:

I tracked to problem to using multiple external inserts in this project. I am using external reverbs. When I use only one it works fine. When I enable a second one. Note start to drop. I hope you can solve this.

dropped synth notes is usually MIDI buffer related. Go to the Playback and Record tab of the MIDI category, and check what the "prepare using xxx millisecond buffers" value. If it's at 250, try it at 500. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Alan Bachman said:

So, what is the consensus?  Should I download this update?   My program keeps on asking me to do so!  

Thank you!!!

We always recommend being on the latest versions, they include more fixes! 

In the very unlikely case of any new issues being introduced, there's always a rollback installer that will take you right back to the previous update. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 7:12 PM, ChristopherM said:

Hi Noel - thanks for your prompt response. I used ProcDump to generate a .dmp while Cakewalk is hanging. The output is some 32GB, so I'm guessing that no-one wants that (and/or I'd be exposing private data, as that represents twice the RAM in my PC!) What would be your guidance here, please?

@Noel Borthwick Hi Noel - I PM'd you the dmp sometime ago. Meanwhile, I've had a lacklustre response from AAS (which has not been my previous experience of them). Support did not respond, Sales did not respond, so I posted on Facebook (which must be the last resort of anyone!). I got the following response, which I find quite shocking and disappointing - "I'm sorry about your inconvenience. We only have one person handling support, which he does on top of his regular tasks. I think he's contacted you a couple of days ago right? On the other hand, I believe that since their recent move with BandLab things got weird with that software, supporting it becomes harder and harder." An unbelievably unprofessional response from a company that I have held in high regard since the days of Tassman 3. And I am no further forward.

@ChristopherM Thanks I looked at the dump. Took awhile to uncompress a 32 GB file :)

This is an unambiguous plugin issue. Cakewalk is simply doing an autosave and the plugin hangs when we try and retrieve the plugin state to save it. 
Cakewalk calls the getState function on the VST3 plugin and the plugin never returns from the call. This is something only the vendor can solve.

ntdll.dll!RtlEnterCriticalSection()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     Chromaphone 3 Shared.bin!000000006b665367()    Unknown    Non-user code. Binary was not built with debug information.
     Chromaphone 3 Shared.bin!000000006b647f1a()    Unknown    Non-user code. Binary was not built with debug information.
     Chromaphone 3 Shared.bin!000000006b5ddfe9()    Unknown    Non-user code. Binary was not built with debug information.
     Chromaphone 3 Shared.bin!000000006b611ee7()    Unknown    Non-user code. Binary was not built with debug information.
     Chromaphone 3.vst3!00007ffb182656a7()    Unknown    Non-user code. Binary was not built with debug information.
>    Cakewalk.exe!CVST3PlugWrapper::GetChunk(bool isPreset, unsigned char * * pData=0x000000000014e690) Line 1974    C++    Symbols loaded.

The plugin developers should be able to load up the dump file and find out why the plugin is deadlocking. Were you playing when autosave kicked in?

13 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@ChristopherM Thanks I looked at the dump. Took awhile to uncompress a 32 GB file :)

This is an unambiguous plugin issue. Cakewalk is simply doing an autosave and the plugin hangs when we try and retrieve the plugin state to save it. 
Cakewalk calls the getState function on the VST3 plugin and the plugin never returns from the call. This is something only the vendor can solve.

ntdll.dll!RtlEnterCriticalSection()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     Chromaphone 3 Shared.bin!000000006b665367()    Unknown    Non-user code. Binary was not built with debug information.
     Chromaphone 3 Shared.bin!000000006b647f1a()    Unknown    Non-user code. Binary was not built with debug information.
     Chromaphone 3 Shared.bin!000000006b5ddfe9()    Unknown    Non-user code. Binary was not built with debug information.
     Chromaphone 3 Shared.bin!000000006b611ee7()    Unknown    Non-user code. Binary was not built with debug information.
     Chromaphone 3.vst3!00007ffb182656a7()    Unknown    Non-user code. Binary was not built with debug information.
>    Cakewalk.exe!CVST3PlugWrapper::GetChunk(bool isPreset, unsigned char * * pData=0x000000000014e690) Line 1974    C++    Symbols loaded.

The plugin developers should be able to load up the dump file and find out why the plugin is deadlocking. Were you playing when autosave kicked in?

Thanks, Noel - if it's any consolation, it also took a while to compress the file! I assume you are OK with my forwarding your message to Eric at AAS. To your question, I was not playing, because the plug had not completed loading. I don't know whether this has any relevance, but when this plugin is loaded, I think I have seen odd behaviour with the  "dirty" marker. I think the asterisk appears again immediately after a file save in Cakewalk, although TBH this is just something that I saw out of the corner of my eye and did not really observe in detail. I'll let you know what AAS makes of this.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 12:03 PM, Johan Bryntesson said:

Hi! 

I usually control drums with a Millenium digital kit via MIDI. But since the last update, the kit is not recognized by Cakewalk anymore. It pops up in the MIDI devices as "e-drum" as usual, and if I hotplug/unplug it, those events will be recognized with the usual alerts. But no note data appears, I cannot record. All settings in the EZ Drummer plugin are as they should, and have been.

The standalone EZ Drummer app works fine, proving that the problem is not the kit, the cable or the MIDI port. Will try to downgrade, but could there be some explanation to this? 
EDIT: Now I see other people have had problem recording external MIDI too. Some fix ahead, hopefully.

Apart from this, thank you for a program that is a delight to use!

Regards,
Johan Bryntesson

Johan; did hou find the solution yet? I found that the update had automatically changed several things in my preferences file... like filtering out the ability to record MIDI notes and controller data. Reset my metronome defaults, changed to default keyboard shortcuts file, etc.

Things that you would NOT expect to experience with an update!

Edited by OutrageProductions

This last update seems to have corrupted the envelope automation and or a clip lane that was switched to gain edit. I've shared more info on another thread.

Other users are reporting the same. Cakewalk is unusable if this doesn't get a fix and it sounds like a problem that has been happening since april so not sure how far back I'd have to go with a rollback since I think there have been a couple updates in between I think and I haven't been working on envelope automation for a while.

Edited by Kurt Nielsen

On 12/7/2020 at 3:59 PM, Jonathan Sasor said:

dropped synth notes is usually MIDI buffer related. Go to the Playback and Record tab of the MIDI category, and check what the "prepare using xxx millisecond buffers" value. If it's at 250, try it at 500. 

And that was the solution :) Thank you very much. That saves me a lot of time.

18 hours ago, Kurt Nielsen said:

This last update seems to have corrupted the envelope automation and or a clip lane that was switched to gain edit. I've shared more info on another thread.

Other users are reporting the same. Cakewalk is unusable if this doesn't get a fix and it sounds like a problem that has been happening since april so not sure how far back I'd have to go with a rollback since I think there have been a couple updates in between I think and I haven't been working on envelope automation for a while.

Hi Kurt,

I'm having trouble being able to reproduce your issue as described. Can you provide a project and/or more specific details as to how you're able to get into that state? At present I'm automating plugins/track parameters and clip gain and the automation is all responding correctly. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Hi Kurt,

I'm having trouble being able to reproduce your issue as described. Can you provide a project and/or more specific details as to how you're able to get into that state? At present I'm automating plugins/track parameters and clip gain and the automation is all responding correctly. 

Hi on the link I've shared, another user shared their project and msmcleod replied on April 28 and stated that they were able to reproduce the problem.

My project is extremely large.. I could share the project without the audio and you could add your own audio files. would that work for you?

Question, in your project is that from a fresh Cakewalk install or has it gone through updates? I'm  thinking that the project may have been corrupted through at least one of the updates.  - sent you the pm of the project file.

Edited by Kurt Nielsen

This was à configuration error. Sorry

unable to record sustain pedal

The context : Windows 8 6.3 Cakewalk 2020.11 Build 098 64 bit
The problem : impossible to record the sustain pedal.
This is a specific Cakewalk bug . With Pianoteq standalone
or Cubase no problem.

Edited by Hopital