Is there a way to have old take lanes actually mute on Mute button - as loop recording?

LarsF

Hi
Currently have
- Comping set
- create new lane for take

But still get this split action when overlapping.

Is it possible to get it just actually mute previous take when a new lane is created - when overlapping in same pos as loop recording do?
I mean on the Mute button, not this mute partial clips thingy.

So I tried punch in recording(mute takes too), and thought this would fix it since same border each side..
But if you stop in middle, it do this split action on last full take.

For me it would feel cleaner if take lanes were left alone until I want to fiddle with it.
Obvious half dones I could just remove after so can pick and preview from those left.

It's interfering too much.

When you do a new time line position on same track it does nicely put the first in lanes up on track.
But when partially overlapping even better if left alone.

I even started creating new tracks to get rid of this handling, when I have a clip that is ok, but when recording next on timeline you start just a tiny bit overlapping and it's a mess.

Is there any settings I'm missing?

Thanks.

Experimented further

- set to overwrite

then I don't have to hear previous loop as recorded while recording new take, that gave me hope.

But when I stopped recording and then start another - all takes that exist in lanes are deleted, take lanes are there, but clips are gone, wiped and gone.
So you cannot do 3 loops, and then stop, and then start to do another couple of more loops.

Something is probably not as intended here.

I just want for practical reason loop record, and make several tries, kind of.
And obviously don't want to hear previous loop take as a new is started - I want a hole there as when doing first take in the hole.

2 hours ago, LarsF said:

But if you stop in middle, it do this split action on last full take.

For me it would feel cleaner if take lanes were left alone until I want to fiddle with it.
Obvious half dones I could just remove after so can pick and preview from those left.

It's interfering too much.

This is a strange quirk of Cakewalk's behavior that I ran into when I first started using it almost 3 years ago.

I have been asking on and off since then (including sending screenshots more than once) why this happens and if it is there for some reason. I've also asked if we  can have an option to turn it off. I have looked at it from several angles and can't figure out why it would do this, it seems to serve no purpose and is a nuisance at best.

At first I thought that maybe it was a byproduct of an "automatic comping" workflow or something, but the developers could not say how the behavior got there or if it originally had a purpose. People made guesses, but none of them really made sense. And I guess that since it doesn't crash the program and nobody else complains, it's not a high priority to investigate.

Since I am a drummer and record myself in loop mode with 4 microphones at once, I wind up with these spurious splits across 4 tracks/lanes.

I have given up  and am resigned to my workflow being:

1. Record as many takes as I need, making sure to Group All Clips when recording

2. Open the first track's take lanes and swipe across one of the intact lanes with the Smart Tool in "Comp" mode to heal the split and get the takes ready for review and editing

3. Un-mute whatever take I want to listen to first by clicking in it with the Smart Tool in Comp mode

In my way of thinking, I should not have to do steps 2 and 3 before I  am able play back my last take. I don't understand why more people aren't bothered by this. Most new users won't know that you can fix the split so easily and bottom line, it's unnecessary extra work that I have to do each time I record.

Edited by Starship Krupa

Many thanks.
I found that punch-in recording always play back previous loop as you record next - not usable. Tested both to check Mutes takes and unchecked too.

Doing normal loop only, at least I can use since not hearing previous loop while recording.

But original issue remain - if I don't have loop set long enough after part I want to record, so I can run back to computer and stop it - so a new loop starts, it will split all takes down the lanes where last not complete recording stopped.

I found something in help on Sonar, "delete last take" or similar - that could serve as undoing just that one.
Not sure if there is anything like this in current Cakewalk.

There were a lot of options in Sonar 4 as I recall. I could design loop recording exactly how I wanted, and where it actually muted each track as it looped.
When practicing vocal harmonies and wanted to hear previous take, I could get that - or each take were muted(I got full new tracks then each take).
There were a bunch of options to read up on - but I could get whatever functionality I wanted.