Hard to edit intended region with Melodyne 5

petemus

Played with Melodyne 5 Assistant in a project yesterday (Early access 3 in use).  A couple of things I noticed:

It's hard to get Melodyne activated with correct data for a clip that has  a Melodyne region on it. If the Melodyne editor is closed, double-clicking a clip with a Melodyne region opens the Melodyne editor with the correct data. If the editor is already open, double-clicking the clip does not seem to switch new clip's data. The same, I think, goes for selecting Open editor from the RFX menu. I have to close the Melodyne editor to get it to show correct clip data.

It's also not possible to switch to Track mode in the Melodyne editor - the Now cursor jumps ahead and the Clip mode is enabled again immediately. 

Is it just that I can't use Melodyne, or is there a bug in the editor integration?

3 hours ago, petemus said:

Played with Melodyne 5 Assistant in a project yesterday (Early access 3 in use).  A couple of things I noticed:

It's hard to get Melodyne activated with correct data for a clip that has  a Melodyne region on it. If the Melodyne editor is closed, double-clicking a clip with a Melodyne region opens the Melodyne editor with the correct data. If the editor is already open, double-clicking the clip does not seem to switch new clip's data.

If I understand you correctly - yes, it works right. 

Here's the thing.

Not only do you open melodyne, but you also placing it directly on the clip (As how it's being used standard in CbB.) This means that, what ever edits you do, will be permanent after you render the region - "It's the exact same concept of adding a plugin directly on a clip."

This means: When ever you close melodyne without rendering it to the region - you have to open the editor by going to the end of the clip, click on that little RegionFX Box and choose "Open Editor" if it's not docked in the multidock.

It not a bug, it's been working that way since it was added to the Cakewalk product in Sonar Platinum. 

3 hours ago, petemus said:

It's also not possible to switch to Track mode in the Melodyne editor - the Now cursor jumps ahead and the Clip mode is enabled again immediately. 

For this to work (be sync'd with the track view,) the region you wish to work on needs to be looped in track view - assuming you're not familiar with it (Which I apologize for.)

You have to highlight the region in the clip you wish to work on, then: press Ctrl+L on the keyboard to loop the area and to point Melodyne in the direction of the cursors/markers and Now time - with that of the Track View. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Thanks @Will_Kaydo for opening it up for me some more. I'm quite familiar with Melodyne regions, using Melodyne and eventually rendering the results permanently.

I was just wondering why the already opened Melodyne editor won't switch over to show new selected clip contents when another clip with Melodyne region is clicked/double-clicked. At least it doesn't seem to. It also doesn't open a new editor for the other clip. The only way seemed to be to close the open editor and opening a new one for the other clip.

It seems I'll have to take a better look at the Track mode/looped clip thing before attempting to say anything more about it. 😁

3 minutes ago, petemus said:

I was just wondering why the already opened Melodyne editor won't switch over to show new selected clip contents when another clip with Melodyne region is clicked/double-clicked.

Got you! Yeah it doesn't allow that (Well, I haven't bother to check for this yet.) Reason: I'm so used to "Ghost Information."

What it allow us to do though, is the ability to edited the separate tracks by viewing the ghost information from the other copy in the previous track - if you're doing chorus or lip edits. Pretty much the same as how the PRV does it, and allow us to work with this.😊