COOL NEW IDEA! - Console View Folder Mix Modules

FIP GeBall

Dear Bakers,

I have an idea for a TOTALLY COOL New Feature for 'Console View'!

Let's say I've created several Folders in Track View, each Folder contains it's own corresponding audio tracks like the ones listed below.

FOLDERS: 

• DRUMS (contains all drum tracks)
  • INSTRUMENTS (contains all the instrument tracks)
  • MAIN VOX (contains all the main vocals)
  • BACK VOCALS (contains all the background vocals)

Wouldn't it be cool if once I'm done with all my tracking, I could switch over to 'Console View' to start mixing, but still have the ability to quickly control all Track Folders without having to leave Console View. Just by adding simple Mix Module controls for each Folder at the top of the Console View title bar. Please see my illustration below for more details (We probably wouldn't want to include the 'Record' button for this view, so please disregard that in the picture).  

How cool and efficient would it be during mixing to be able to solo all the DRUMS in the drum Folder from within Console View, without having to highlight all drum tracks or flip back over to Track view to do it. Whatever Folders are created in Track View, Cakewalk automatically creates listings for them on the title bar of Console View; each with their own mix module controls - See Figure 1.

I hope others love this idea as much as I do 🙂

Figure 1.

114776201_ConsoleFolderMixModules.thumb.jpg.24672fc37b525ba62f60c32c9baf786c.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, FIP GeBall said:

Dear Bakers,

I have an idea for a TOTALLY COOL New Feature for 'Console View'!

Let's say I've created several Folders in Track View, each Folder contains it's own corresponding audio tracks like the ones listed below.

FOLDERS: 

• DRUMS (contains all drum tracks)
  • INSTRUMENTS (contains all the instrument tracks)
  • MAIN VOX (contains all the main vocals)
  • BACK VOCALS (contains all the background vocals)

Wouldn't it be cool if once I'm done with all my tracking, I could switch over to 'Console View' to start mixing, but still have the ability to quickly control all Track Folders without having to leave Console View. Just by adding simple Mix Module controls for each Folder at the top of the Console View title bar. Please see my illustration below for more details (We probably wouldn't want to include the 'Record' button for this view, so please disregard that in the picture).  

How cool and efficient would it be during mixing to be able to solo all the DRUMS in the drum Folder from within Console View, without having to highlight all drum tracks or flip back over to Track view to do it. Whatever Folders are created in Track View, Cakewalk automatically creates listings for them on the title bar of Console View; each with their own mix module controls - See Figure 1.

I hope others love this idea as much as I do 🙂

Figure 1.

114776201_ConsoleFolderMixModules.thumb.jpg.24672fc37b525ba62f60c32c9baf786c.jpg

You can also group all your Drum Aux Tracks and send them to another Aux/Bus Tracks Named "Drums" and work them all as one track from there. 

Or 

I send all my 808's including Kicks, Claps, Snares, Toms Percussion, all to one Aux. Should there be a need for further cuts or boosts - you can always go back to the individual tracks and do it there . This saves a lot more CPU and Ram usage and less strain on the over performance as you'll be using less Plugins. 

Ps: I do understand all our workflow are different, but a separate trial and error test,  to see how this could be implemented in your workflow and improvement will work - wont hurt to try.

Edited by Will_Kaydo

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 6:32 AM, Will_Kaydo said:

You can also group all your Drum Aux Tracks and send them to another Aux/Bus Tracks Named "Drums" and work them all as one track from there. 

Or 

I send all my 808's including Kicks, Claps, Snares, Toms Percussion, all to one Aux. Should there be a need for further cuts or boosts - you can always go back to the individual tracks and do it there . This saves a lot more CPU and Ram usage and less strain on the over performance as you'll be using less Plugins. 

Ps: I do understand all our workflow are different, but a separate trial and error test,  to see how this could be implemented in your workflow and improvement will work - wont hurt to try.

Actually I do send all my drums to a drum BUS etc., as well as separate Busses for instruments, vocals etc., My reason for the request is that when I'm in Console View with a project that has 87+ Tracks to have to scroll all the way over to the BUS window or even pull it out from hiding on the far right is a moment to tedious at times. It would be nice to have the mix module controls of track folders stagnant in a central location illustrated for a quick and easy use, and I don't have to scroll away from the tracks I'm currently working on.

16 hours ago, FIP GeBall said:

Actually I do send all my drums to a drum BUS etc., as well as separate Busses for instruments, vocals etc., My reason for the request is that when I'm in Console View with a project that has 87+ Tracks to have to scroll all the way over to the BUS window or even pull it out from hiding on the far right is a moment to tedious at times. It would be nice to have the mix module controls of track folders stagnant in a central location illustrated for a quick and easy use, and I don't have to scroll away from the tracks I'm currently working on.

I don't know. I never had a problem with dragging the bus pane In and Out. In fact, im using the Console View less everyday - adapting to woking in the Track View every second. 

Reason: I solely work in floating windows. I can easily do automation this ways. I'm a sucker for shortcut key bindings whether by default or custom. I view the Bus Pane in full window by Shift+B. If I do use folders - all my folders are where I want them to be and I find it easier to mix this way. Although, I hardly make use of folders - too much and unnecessary click work for me. 

Sorry, but yeah - I don't see how this could work. It's adding more steps in my view.

You'll be scrolling back and forth to the individual track folder, click to view it and scroll to your track. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with the idea though!

Maybe it's just me? 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

I don't know. I never had a problem with dragging the bus pane In and Out. In fact, im using the Console View less everyday - adapting to woking in the Track View every second. 

Reason: I solely work in floating windows. I can easily do automation this ways. I'm a sucker for shortcut key bindings whether by default or custom. I view the Bus Pane in full window by Shift+B. If I do use folders - all my folders are where I want them to be and I find it easier to mix this way. Although, I hardly make use of folders - too much and unnecessary click work for me. 

Sorry, but yeah - I don't see how this could work. It's adding more steps in my view.

You'll be scrolling back and forth to the individual track folder, click to view it and scroll to your track. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with the idea though!

Maybe it's just me? 

It could be the way I explained it. There would be no scrolling at all; the folder mix modules would just be located on the strip at the top of the Console view.

Not sure if you saw my picture, but you'll have to click on it and then zoom in to see the illustration I diagrammed at the top of Console view showing the idea I was referring too.

14 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Isn't this what Busses are for ?

I just keep the busses visible in the Console on my 2nd monitor and I use the controls in the track view for adjusting individual tracks

Hi Mark,

It's an idea for another convenience. I too use Busses, but I'm not a fan of having the busses visible while I'm mixing, I like to keep the bus pull-out closed, especially when I have 87 tracks to mix; I'd rather use that space for my tracks in console view instead.

What I'm speaking of are just folder mix module buttons that stay stagnant at the top of the console view. If you zoom in on the picture I attached you'll see the illustration I diagrammed in to demonstrate.  

1 hour ago, FIP GeBall said:

Not sure if you saw my picture, but you'll have to click on it and then zoom in to see the illustration I diagrammed at the top of Console view showing the idea I was referring too.

I hear you.

Keep bumping the topic up. Maybe it'll get some attention. 

6 hours ago, FIP GeBall said:

Hi Mark,

It's an idea for another convenience. I too use Busses, but I'm not a fan of having the busses visible while I'm mixing, I like to keep the bus pull-out closed, especially when I have 87 tracks to mix; I'd rather use that space for my tracks in console view instead.

What I'm speaking of are just folder mix module buttons that stay stagnant at the top of the console view. If you zoom in on the picture I attached you'll see the illustration I diagrammed in to demonstrate.  

I understand what you mean, we just all work different ways I guess . I almost always keep the busses in view on my console, I hardly ever look at the track faders there.

If I want to adjust a single track fader I have learned to do it in the Inspector on the main track view screen.  I do make extensive use of Folders but it wouldn't be any quicker for me to mute or solo them in the console view than it would be on the track view as they are both open at the same time on two monitors. 

Most of the time each Folder is routed to a corresponding buss. So my  'Guitars' folder goes to my 'Guitars' buss...and if I mute the folder it's very much the same result as muting the buss.  I do this because I need to produce alt mixes and stems for the music libraries I work with and it makes life easier.

My other thought was , we have been asking for Nested Sub-Folders for a long time and I believe they are looking at implementing it  - So I don't know how you could handle those in your layout ? Maybe if they did something like you suggest it could be a view option you could switch on and off. 

image.thumb.png.90083037ea21b0b5af135795fef447f5.png  

I agree buses are the first thing to reach for if I want to solo some drums, vocals, instruments etc.

I would prefer to have a list of all tracks on the left that we could just quickly scroll and click on/off (to show/hide in the console view), like they do in pro tools. That way we could keep the console view much more tidy while mixing. We can't do it now in cakewalk quickly, can we? To show/hide tracks we first have to bring up the Track Manager (H) and then click each track that we want to show or hide, separately. We can't swipe over quickly or shift+select a bunch, or is there any other way in cakewalk to speed up the process?

I also would like to have the ability to assign a track folder to a bus. Then we could only show the ones we'd want to work with, for example drums, and have only those tracks visible in console view (or track view). Now the OP could just click SOLO on the drums track folder and have the same he's asking for :)

Edited by chris.r