Drinking Again

William E Simmons

15 hours ago, Songroom said:

You’ve definitely captured that ‘old school country’ style and the vocal is perfect. Nice work Billy.

Thanks for taking the time to listen. I grew up in Texas so I have been around that style of music. I just never played it live except for a time or two of being invited to play with a Red Dirt band in North Texas. Blues has been my thing for the most part. Thanks again.

15 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

That's a cool country song - I enjoyed the listen. I especially liked your lead vocal - the performance and how it sat in the mix - just right.

Thank you for you comments. I am not very knowledgeable about recording at home. I have spent a good bit of time in a studio but always had a professional doing the recording and mixing. We always sent our mixes off to someone else to master. Doing all this myself is a pretty difficult. I had the vocal pretty out front and was not sure if that was a good mix.

Thanks,

Billy  

2 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

The way country music should still sound like. You have all the elements in place esp your vocal. I appreciated the clarity of the lyrics - made it easy to appreciate them. Great job!

Thank you Bjorn for your kind comments. In these turbulent times, with much of the current music being far removed from styles of the past, it is hard to know what anyone will think about a song. Living with the restrictions of Covid-19 has reduced the options I would normally have to write and produce a song. I have no idea how a song like this would be received in today's world. I do seriously miss the option to go to Nashville and do a radio ready version. I always wonder how things like this would have sounded if everyone was in the studio together. It really makes no difference if a song produced live in a studio  is really good or also ran. I can remember  every time and every one I ever worked with live. The fun we had and the excitement  of working together.  

I went to your soundcloud account and listen to several of you songs. You have a lot of very humorous material that I enjoyed listening too.  Psychobabble Blues and It's Not That I'm Old made me laugh out loud. Good stuff.  The photo of the mountains reminded me of how much I sometimes miss that part of the country. I lived in LA for a long time....well, I don't really miss the 405 freeway....lol  

Cheers,

Billy

Sounds totally authentic - great steel slide and vocal.  Great feel - I love the change up around 2.20

One odd thing though. After the solo, the vocal seems to slip behind the beat, like it's slipped out of time. Was this intentional? It might be a mixing error or a latency issue.

One thing that's really missing though: a BIG chorus. I'd love to hear one. ;)

All the best

14 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

Sounds totally authentic - great steel slide and vocal.  Great feel - I love the change up around 2.20

One odd thing though. After the solo, the vocal seems to slip behind the beat, like it's slipped out of time. Was this intentional? It might be a mixing error or a latency issue.

One thing that's really missing though: a BIG chorus. I'd love to hear one. ;)

All the best

Hi Philip, there are still some vocal timing issues to deal with. I am not sure I can fix them and I may have to redo the vocal. I am tied up at the moment trying to do a latin song and struggling with writing lyrics in Spanish. Thanks for listening.