Midi controller not recognized

Chris Janney

Question

Hey. I am trying to assign my M Audio Oxygen 49 to Cakewalk. It doesn't show up in Midi devices. My PC says it's ready to use and all set. It appears in the devices in the PC settings. The virtual controller works fine. Just can't assign the external controller. The same controller works with my macbook and my chrome book.  Any help out there?

6 answers to this question

On 11/7/2020 at 6:02 AM, mark skinner said:

Is it powered up "before" you open CbB.  I use an Oxygen 61 that works flawlessly only if powered up before  the Daw .

It wasn't that far back (March release?) when CbB would still recognize a new midi controller or keyboard if it was powered on AFTER CbB was running, ask if you wanted to add it as a MIDI Device and then open the Preferences dialog.
That no longer happens, and it's pissing me off occasionally. 
I have no issue with having to remember to power all my controllers FIRST (KK61 keyboard, Maschine, etc.) but it would have been nice if the coders had noted that this function was no longer available.

On 11/12/2020 at 7:43 AM, OutrageProductions said:

It wasn't that far back (March release?) when CbB would still recognize a new midi controller or keyboard if it was powered on AFTER CbB was running, ask if you wanted to add it as a MIDI Device and then open the Preferences dialog.
That no longer happens, and it's pissing me off occasionally. 
I have no issue with having to remember to power all my controllers FIRST (KK61 keyboard, Maschine, etc.) but it would have been nice if the coders had noted that this function was no longer available.

As far as I am aware CbB still recognises midi devices if they are turned on after starting CbB. I updated to the latest version of CbB today and this function still worked. It sometimes takes a little while for the pop-up to appear but if definitely worked for me today.

3 minutes ago, NealClark said:

As far as I am aware CbB still recognises midi devices if they are turned on after starting CbB. I updated to the latest version of CbB today and this function still worked. It sometimes takes a little while for the pop-up to appear but if definitely worked for me today.

Yes, in 2020.09 I finally got that to work (cold boot required) and some patience as the VSTi sample pool was large and no longer stashed in the paging file.