Some ideas...

jono grant

Some ideas:

Fix staff view, who cares if there are other notation programs? You program midi in Cakewalk, you want to have proper notation and not have to go through a nightmare exporting into another program. Why not have Sibelius or another good notation program work within cakewalk? Or just get a notation expert to suggest how to fix it? It's been terrible for decades. 

Fix problems with sync to mp4 and QuickTime files. Composers can't easily use cakewalk because it won't sync properly with the most popular video files used in the industry. 

Fix issues with external insert, can't solo bus, ignore on export feature

Update CAL scripts to this century

Fix default colors to be more visible when selected/deselected 

Fix scrubbing so it actually works smoothly like other DAWs

Update graphics to work better in 4K

Love Cakewalk, but these issues have been ignored forever and are things that are important to professional users. 

JG

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

I second this. 

22 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Can you elaborate? I'm interested, but I haven't run into issues in these areas.

Well, if I have an external insert, say on a bus, I can't solo that bus... why? If the insert is on a track you can solo it. Why not a bus? Very annoying, if you have a bunch of busses and you want to solo one (that has an external insert) you can't, you have to mute everything else to hear that bus in solo. 

Also, if there's an external insert on a bus and you try to (fast bounce) export anything from another track, not having anything to do with the external insert bus, you can't, you have to retitle your export and do it again with the insert turned off. It should just be a dialogue box that says: you have an active external insert, it will be ignored on this export or something to that effect.

JG

• Like 2

On 11/9/2020 at 10:52 PM, jono grant said:

Well, if I have an external insert, say on a bus, I can't solo that bus... why? If the insert is on a track you can solo it. Why not a bus? Very annoying, if you have a bunch of busses and you want to solo one (that has an external insert) you can't, you have to mute everything else to hear that bus in solo. 

I'll expand further, if you have an external insert anywhere in the project, you can't solo any bus or any aux channel, it's really irritating. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Light Grenade said:

I'll expand further, if you have an external insert anywhere in the project, you can't solo any bus or any aux channel, it's really irritating. 

I own the: 

• WA76 from Warm Audio

• The Seventeen from Black Lion Audio

• Electronics M-One XL Reverb (Cheap but really good.) 

• TL Audio Tube EQ

• Dbx 266XS Dual Compressor/Gate

• Electronic HD Mastering Brickwall Dedicated Hardware Limiter. 

Which I have no problem solo'ing. Have you made any changes in your preferences lately? 

What is that you can't solo? Track buses? What happens when you do solo a track in cakewalk? There's feature in Cakewalk I hate with absolute - that's the the "Solo Dim" It allows bleeding of the effects to come through from your buses. 

Link on explanation. 

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR X3&language=3&help=Playback.15.html

Also check: 

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=4&help=Playback.17.html

Edited by Will_Kaydo

1 hour ago, Will_Kaydo said:

I own the: 

• WA76 from Warm Audio

• The Seventeen from Black Lion Audio

• Electronics M-One XL Reverb (Cheap but really good.) 

• TL Audio Tube EQ

• Dbx 266XS Dual Compressor/Gate

• Electronic HD Mastering Brickwall Dedicated Hardware Limiter. 

Which I have no problem solo'ing. Have you made any changes in your preferences lately? 

What is that you can't solo? Track buses? What happens when you do solo a track in cakewalk? There's feature in Cakewalk I hate with absolute - that's the the "Solo Dim" It allows bleeding of the effects to come through from your buses. 

Link on explanation. 

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR X3&language=3&help=Playback.15.html

Also check: 

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=4&help=Playback.17.html

You can't solo any bus or aux track when the 'external insert' plugin is used anywhere. Track solo is not affected by this, so you can solo tracks freely.

I use the external insert on my mix bus to integrate an analogue chain. I've moved the external insert around and the problem persists. I have to bypass the external insert if I want to solo any bus or aux. I've raised this before and it's a longstanding bug that's never been fixed.

Edited by Light Grenade

18 minutes ago, Light Grenade said:

You can't solo any bus or aux track when the 'external insert' plugin is used anywhere. Track solo is not affected by this, so you can solo tracks freely.

I use the external insert on my mix bus to integrate an analogue chain. I've moved the external insert around and the problem persists. I have to bypass the external insert if I want to solo any bus or aux. I've raised this before and it's a longstanding bug that's never been fixed.

Not if you send your faders pre. 

This works best on Instrument tracks. Create an "Audio Track" next to the Instrument Track and route the "Audio Tracks" Input to that of the Instrument Tracks. I prefer "Audio Track"for this and Not Aux or Bus for this OR use Patch Points. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

7 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Not if you send you faders pre. 

This works best on Instrument tracks. Create an "Audio Track" next to the Instrument Track and route the "Audio Tracks" Input to that of the Instrument Tracks. I prefer "Audio Track"for this and Not Aux or Bus for this. 

I'm not sure what you mean. I use the external insert plugin on my master fader, why do i need an instrument track?

It's a historic issue, there's a good explanation as to why in this thread from 2016
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Do-external-inserts-go-quite-when-soloing-an-Aux-track-or-Bus-with-an-external-insert-m3475781.aspx

Edited by Light Grenade

2 hours ago, Light Grenade said:

I'm not sure what you mean. I use the external insert plugin on my master fader, why do i need an instrument track?

It's a historic issue, there's a good explanation as to why in this thread from 2016
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Do-external-inserts-go-quite-when-soloing-an-Aux-track-or-Bus-with-an-external-insert-m3475781.aspx

Well . . . Works for me. I have no problem in this department. 

FWIW: It is possible to route your Master Track to and Aux (which then becomes your Master Track) to apply these steps,  (Think out side the box, not too much furthet than your nose,) but  I guess it's too much for you to try, right? 

Why came to ask this Question then? 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

10 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Well . . . Works for me. I have no problem in this department. 

FWIW: It is possible to route your Master Track to and Aux (which then becomes your Master Track) to apply these steps,  (Think out side the box, not too much furthet than your nose,) but  I guess it's too much for you to try, right? 

Why came to ask this Question then? 

Routing the master to an aux won't solve the problem. The problem is with the external insert plugin. 

I didn't come to ask any question. I was expanding upon OP's point so we can make Cakewalk as good as possible.  I have no interest in getting into a passive aggressive back and forth with you about a solo button.  Why people get so defensive over a piece of software, I will never understand. 

19 minutes ago, Light Grenade said:

Routing the master to an aux won't solve the problem. The problem is with the external insert plugin. 

I didn't come to ask any question. I was expanding upon OP's point so we can make Cakewalk as good as possible.  I have no interest in getting into a passive aggressive back and forth with you about a solo button.  Why people get so defensive over a piece of software, I will never understand. 

I was really not defensive in anyway. It's all just straight conversion. There are workarounds in CbB to get your outboard gear solo'd, if for some reason you can't do it directly in your setup. 

I guess - I will never understand why people catch feelings when their own medicine are applied. ✌ 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

51 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

It is not possible to assign the output of an Aux track to the Master Buss, if the Master Buss has a send assigned to the aux track this would cause a feed back loop.

Cann Not assign.png

36 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

It is not possible to assign the output of an Aux track to the Master Buss, if the Master Buss has a send assigned to the aux track this would cause a feed back loop.

Cann Not assign.png

What's this? CbB has a vast flexible routing feature build in to it. 7754350_Screenshot(20201111-164331)-1.thumb.jpg.3a76dc8b573ba727dfaaf5ea3a245b4d.jpg

Edited by Will_Kaydo

57 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

What's this? CbB has a vast flexible routing feature build in to it

Look at the routing, you are mixing two Sends together A track send and the Output of the Track, which is in effect just another send.

Your are mixing at your New Master Aux Track that is feeding your Mains there is no Feedback loop to be had.  Nothing is feeding back in to anything else.

What your statement above suggested was that you could have an Aux send out of the Master Buss to a track and then send that back to the Master  that is not possible, because it forms a loop.

Please look closely at your diagram there is no loop of audio watch the Gif below see the response I get when I try to do what you claim

Can not assign.gif

6 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

Look at the routing, you are mixing to Sends together A track send and the Output of the Track, which is in effect just another send.

Your are mixing at your New Master Aux Track that is feeding your Mains there is no Feedback loop to be had.  Nothing is feeding back in to anything else.

What your statement above suggested was that you could have an Aux send out of the Master Buss to a track and then send that back to the Master  that is not possible, because it forms a loop.

Please look closely at your diagram there is no loop of audio watch the Gif below see the response I get when I try to do what you claim

Can not assign.gif

I think you need to go read again. 😕 Seriously go read again. 

2 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Focus on what is said. 

FWIW - AGAIN! I'm showing what routing flexibilty there is in CbB. 

Don't know what you don't understand from that. 

On 11/6/2020 at 6:38 PM, jono grant said:

Some ideas:

Fix problems with sync to mp4 and QuickTime files. Composers can't easily use cakewalk because it won't sync properly with the most popular video files used in the industry. 

Update CAL scripts to this century

Update graphics to work better in 4K

JG

I ecstatically second the above suggestions!!!