Stomp Boxes in Your Recordings?

razor7music

All good input (no pin intended).

I have an ART tube dual preamp that sounds really good. I use that for guitar that I'm only going to effect with plugins. I have a Mesa DC3 combo that I mic when I want that overdriven warm sound that I can't get with Guitar Rig or L6 Pod plugins. 

I know how my playing changes based on the sound coming out, so maybe I'll just use the mic'd amp for my input and have a headphone mix with plugin fx in it for the feel.

Thanks!

Edited by razor7music

No stomp boxes here, but I do use a modeling amp which I used to mic. I can't do that where I live now due to excessive ambient nose, so I run a cable from the headphone output of the amp to the line in of my interface.
I think that's not the correct way, but I haven't recorded anything worthwhile in a long while, so no problem, yet.

so I run a cable from the headphone output of the amp to the line in of my interface.

This will work with some amps and the signal should be pretty close to what you hear with a mike. But In my case with the Blackstar the Headphone signal is noisy. This was a disappointment especially because it shuts the speaker off.. Something you shouldn't do with a tube amp. It's one reason I bought the cheap Zoom pedal. It's dead quiet even on the wall wart power. This is why DI boxes can work as most have a ground lift if your having ground loop hums.