Production Speed Opinions

razor7music

Hey Group

I've been producing my own material for decades now and most of that time has been with Cakewalk. I've been a member of Taxi on and off for 7 years and feel like I've moved onto the next phase of my musical journey.

It wasn't until recently, that I came to the realization that one of my favorite things about producing music is the actual production process. I love going into my studio, firing up the DAW and just everything about it (except technical problems, but that's a topic for another day).

When I was a member of Taxi, they enforced the approach of building your catalog as quickly as possible. I believe the montra was, 'write, submit, repeat' or something like that.

Since I'm my only client, I find that approach of producing ASAP to be more like chowing down a lobster tail to get it done. Where I don't fault those that can whip out a track in one day, and I certainly respect those that can while maintaining a high quality, I'm realizing I don't enjoy that as much. I like to savor the process.

Am I unique? Does anyone else take their time creating and producing tracks because they enjoy the process?

Again, I don't have or want any clients--that's a whole different thing.

Just wondering...

21 hours ago, craigb said:

Context: Buckethead's put out 307(!) full albums since 2001. 😉

I asked him to lay down some guitar tracks for me once and to my amazement he agreed, but when I got them they were silent.

Turned out that he did them so quickly that they ended before they began.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, paulo said:

I asked him to lay down some guitar tracks for me once and to my amazement he agreed, but when I got them they were silent.

Turned out that he did them so quickly that they ended before they began.

Are you sure Chuck Norris wasn't under that bucket?