SI drums, cymbal midi notes play to long

jf

Hello,

The cymbals in studio instruments drums play longer than the duration set in note properties.

eg the cymbol at B4 plays for about 4 bars, even when duration set to 1

I do not have any external keyboard / midi modules.

The only controller on the track is velocity.

I have tried midi buffer at max(1000) and turning on and off various midi properties in preferences to no avail.

It is only the cymbols that play to long

Does anyone have a cure for this Please.

Do you mean you hear them ring for longer then the not duration or do they sound like they are being hit again?  Usually in drum synths the note length does not matter. The note on triggers a sample and the sample plays for as long as the sample lasts. For cymbals this can be a long time. If you want the cymbal sound to end sooner you may have to use volume automation or use a choke articulation (mimics someone grabbing the cymbal to stop it).

Edited by reginaldStjohn
spelling

All drum samplers work that way - the MIDI note is just a trigger that causes the sample to be played in full. The note's duration is ignored. Try shortening all the notes in your drum track until they're barely-visible slivers. The drums will still play fine.

There is but one exception to this. Some samplers offer a choke articulation that simulates when a drummer grabs a cymbal with his hand to stop it ringing. I don't know if SI Drums have that feature or not.

If it's a single hit that you want to truncate, you may be able to use volume automation.

If it's every cymbal hit that's a problem, route the cymbals/overhead mics to their own audio track and insert a gate. That's how it's done with real drums.