Steinberg Cubase 11 (not a deal)

locrian

3 hours ago, Greg said:

Hmm. This looks pretty underwhelming and I’m a lifelong (since Atari) fan.  

I tend to agree - looks like minor tweaks and fixes.  The ARA update is useful but things like this and hidpi were really just fixes for stuff that was promised to be working in v10.

(been with cubase since Atari too :) ) 

• Like 2

I have a 0.5 upgrade waiting which should take me to v11 when it is out. Then I will be selling off my Cubase Pro license which I bought after the Cakewalk collapse. I just need to work out whether I need to include my e-licenser dongle or whether the buyer can use their own.  Anyone know?  If anyone's interested in it send me a PM or I will probably put it on KVR.

I remember Cubase on the Atari - I had an STFM! Then I went onto an Amiga 500 and Dr T's KCS.  Seems like yesterday!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

What's the best strategy to register 10.5 license in order to get v11 free? Before the new version release or now, within the grace period?

From the Steinberg site:

If you've activated a software license up to 4 or 6 weeks (depending on the product) before
the release of a newer version, you might be entitled for a free Grace Period update.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZincT said:

I have a 0.5 upgrade waiting which should take me to v11 when it is out. Then I will be selling off my Cubase Pro license which I bought after the Cakewalk collapse. I just need to work out whether I need to include my e-licenser dongle or whether the buyer can use their own.  Anyone know?  If anyone's interested in it send me a PM or I will probably put it on KVR.

I remember Cubase on the Atari - I had an STFM! Then I went onto an Amiga 500 and Dr T's KCS.  Seems like yesterday!

You have to send them the eLicenser.  The process is that you deactivate the eLicenser from
your account, and then, when they get the eLicenser they activate it to their account.   The
only way to do it otherwise is to have BOTH eLicnesers present, and then you can drag the
License you want to transfer to the new one.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, cclarry said:

You have to send them the eLicenser.  The process is that you deactivate the eLicenser from
your account, and then, when they get the eLicenser they activate it to their account.   The
only way to do it otherwise is to have BOTH eLicnesers present, and then you can drag the
License you want to transfer to the new one.

Thanks Larry.  Guess that realistically limits me to UK/European buyers.

2 hours ago, Soundwise said:

What's the best strategy to register 10.5 license in order to get v11 free? Before the new version release or now, within the grace period?

I'm not sure how it works if you register the update serial within the  grace period. But, in my experience if you register an unregistered serial, they will give you the latest version of the software at the moment.

So, if you currently have Cubase Pro 10, and you are holding  an update to 10.5 license: If you register it after v. 11 is released, you will get a version 11 license. But, if for some reason you register it after 11.5 is released, you will get 11.5. If you wait until v12 is released, you will get that.

The important thing is that the update license works for the version you have registered. So, if one wants to save money but update Cubase occasionally, the most optimal way is to have the major version registered (7, 8, 9, 10, 11) and buy an Major to Major.5 update license before the Major+1 version is released (cheapest in their yearly sale) - and hold on to it. And register the update license after the next major version (or maybe skip one if you wish) is released, and then buy the update to .5 again.

If you don't buy the Major to Major.5 update license before the Major+1 version is released, updating will cost much more - then you only have the option to buy the update from your owned version to the latest version, which costs more depending on how many version there are in between. Also note that the update from Major.5 to the Major+1 version costs a little bit more than Major to Major.5.

Current prices:

Update to Cubase Pro 10.5
- from Cubase Pro 10: 59.99 €.
- from Cubase Pro 9.5: 159.99 €
- from Cubase Pros 7-9: 199.99 €
- from Cubase Pro 4-6.5: 299.99 €

So, if anyone has currently Cubase 10, but hasn't bought an update yet, it is cheapest to buy the update to Cubase 10.5 now, and make sure you register it within the grace period or after the release of v11 (or hold on to it, if you think you there's not much in v11 you need)

Edited by Tomgu
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Greg said:

Hmm. This looks pretty underwhelming and I’m a lifelong (since Atari) fan.  

It's actually pretty big.  Some of those features seem small, but have big implications.

Plus, Cubase already has almost everything anyone can ask for.  There is only so much  more they can add, unless they want to start trying to go into the Live Performance space, which I do not foresee (yet).

Products like Studio One have "big" updates because there is a huge feature disparity between them and products like Cubase Pro.  There is more tot add, therefore they can add more in their upgrades.

If the upgrade isn't big enough for someone, they can simply not take it 😛 

18 minutes ago, pbognar said:

All of this is just information from the leaked beta 2 manual from months back.

It is likely that there will be updates, deletions (and hopefully additions) in the GA release of 11.

Betas tend to be feature locked.  There are unlikely to be any Deletions or Additions.  Updates, maybe, but I highly doubt it.  Once a product enters beta, it's all about bug fixing and polishing up the release.

Edited by Maestro

29 minutes ago, Maestro said:

It's actually pretty big.  Some of those features seem small, but have big implications.

Plus, Cubase already has almost everything anyone can ask for.  There is only so much  more they can add, unless they want to start trying to go into the Live Performance space, which I do not foresee (yet).

Products like Studio One have "big" updates because there is a huge feature disparity between them and products like Cubase Pro.  There is more tot add, therefore they can add more in their upgrades.

Betas tend to be feature locked.  There are unlikely to be any Deletions or Additions.  Updates, maybe, but I highly doubt it.  Once a product enters beta, it's all about bug fixing and polishing up the release.

Agree re: the beta being pretty much the finished feature list but totally disagree re: "it's pretty big"

they've done a few customer feature request polls in the last 12 months or so.  Lots of great options....and I'm not sure any of that stuff seems to have made it into 11

The main 'features' - ARA2 should have worked in 10 (2 version ago) same with hidpi.   

What about all the stuff people have been asking for for years (decades !) - reorderable channels in the mixers - WORKING eucon or VCA.

the Midi remote API is nice but the 'multiband compressor' ?

I'll upgrade because I always do - but very disappointing.

Semi off topic but anyone familiar know when  Nuendo 11  might be released? At one point I heard it lags a few months behind major cubase pro releases.  I took advantage of the anniversary sale and I’m holding on to my cubase pro to nuendo upgrade waiting for next major release.

2 hours ago, kevin H said:

Semi off topic but anyone familiar know when  Nuendo 11  might be released? At one point I heard it lags a few months behind major cubase pro releases.  I took advantage of the anniversary sale and I’m holding on to my cubase pro to nuendo upgrade waiting for next major release.

SB promised to sync the two releases but that soon fell apart.  There's no release date rumours so I'd suggest sitting on that licence for a few more months.  I'd (wild) guess next march....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Maestro said:

I just want overlapping audio event playback (both) i liteerally stoped using it because of that... the only way i ve found is to create crossagde but with nominal linear value ...( so crossfade that does nothing)

I want better drum building capabilities like what toontrack did with its song builder but integrated into a groove track with some Jamstix like AI thrown in.  Groove Agent does some things ok but it’s so clunky.  I always request this on the surveys.  Would also like a  native gain staging solution.  

just linking to the 2 official Steinberg poll results from last year.

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=165135

and

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=166652

the categories were suggested by SB so it's not like they don't know.

video export came in v10.5 (with lot's of caveats), so did full coloured tracks in the mix console - and it looks like Bezier curves for midi is going to be in v11

so in summary - underwhelming :( and it's not because they don't know what users want.

• Like 2

fyi

NEW IN CUBASE ARTIST 11:
Famous Steinberg 64-bit floating point audio engine with versatile routing and automatic latency compensation
- NEW: Unlimited number of audio, instrument and MIDI tracks, up to 32 physical inputs and outputs
- Suite containing over 70 high-quality VST audio and MIDI effects, including Pitch Correct for correcting vocals, VST Amp Rack and VST Bass Amp, Quadrafuzz and many more
- Complete set of 8 leading instruments - over 2,600 sounds - including HALion Sonic SE 3, Groove Agent SE 5, Padshop 2 and Retrologue 2
- Huge library with thousands of instrument sounds, sound loops
MIDI and audio sample construction
- Compiler tool to create the perfect version of a recording from multiple takes
- NEW: SpectraLayers One to visualize and clean up your sound or separate vocals from any types of audio data
- NEW: Tone assistant, chord track and chord pads to compose with scales and chords in a creative and playful way
- Powerful sample editor for all common audio work
- NEW: VariAudio to edit mono audio tracks like notes on a MIDI track, generate automatic harmonization and create auto-tuning effects

https://www.woodbrass.com/en-gb/studio-softwares-sofware-updates-and-upgrades-steinberg-cubase-artist-11-upg-ai-p340793.html

• Like 2