Izotope Nectar

Peter C

Thought I'd download the trial, tried it out on a female vocal I'm currently working on. Used the AI assistant to get started.....and in less than a minute it produced at least as good a result (to my ears) as what I had spent hours on tweaking and twisting the different elements.  What really impressed me was the EQ analysis which performed subtractive editing on identified resonant frequencies and then with a second eq smoothed out those results and gave the vocal a subtle 'lift'.

What was also quite reassuring for me really was how my labours with all the separate elements with Waves and other plugins did eventually yield a result pretty close to the AI. 

Amazing really but...but....but......is there a  danger that if we all start using AI as the easy way out - which I guess it is - that all our vocal tracks will start to have that horrible vocal similarity which (IMHO) afflicts many current chart hits????  

I would also be interested to hear about  other experiences of Nectar. 

On 11/4/2020 at 9:44 AM, Peter C said:

Amazing really but...but....but......is there a  danger that if we all start using AI as the easy way out - which I guess it is - that all our vocal tracks will start to have that horrible vocal similarity which (IMHO) afflicts many current chart hits????  

too late 🙂 all your vocal tracks are belong to us! you will be assimilated!

• Haha 1

I use nectar too, but the assistant puts a sheen on the track that just kills the human element. That's great if thats what you're going for (modern pop, I'm looking at you) but not for more roots-oriented stuff or blues or classic rock styles (imho!)

Like you said, it does do a great job of finding resonant frequencies, so its a good starting point but I almost never use what it suggests without a lot of changes.

Have you tried Neutron? Same kind of thing for all the othe instruments. We live in wondrous days.

The newest version of Nectar (3) is brilliant because of the reverb and delay frequency roll off controls. The compressor and de-esser visual displays are also great and intuitive to use. Though, I must agree with others here . . . it seems the AI wants to always boost the speech recognition ranges far too much. Sure, it stands out in the mix . . . but unless you have a really high quality mic, it's over the top, too much . . . especially if you are the mix engineer of your own recorded voice, and have a budget mic . . . ouch !

AI machines are programmed to seek out and eliminate mud . . . they are not yet sensitive enough to appreciate or recognize warmth.

17 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

too late 🙂 all your vocal tracks are belong to us! you will be assimilated!

Y-e-e-e-e-s.......at my age that may be no bad thing!

Thanks everyone for the contributions, that's interesting.  The singer I'm working with at the moment has a great voice but used a  sm57a mic which apparently is noted for its boxy sound on recorded vocals with harsh sibilants. That essentially is what I've got to work with  . I used the AI to  reference the backing track and it  certainly warmed things up and really embedded the vocal within the whole track - too much for my liking so I did pull it back up. And it wasn't so good at toning down the sibilants although that's always a fine line and usually involves me going through the vocal take with some volume automation.  So in a way it did the opposite to what's been described. But this is a classical-style track.

Kevin, I haven't tried Neutron,  I find mixing instrumental tracks a lot easier than vocals.....it's always the vocals.......... However I'll look that too. Thanks for the suggestion.

I also take  noynekker's   point about  it providing a starting point.