How many use the audio interface's reported latencies?

kzmaier

I measured and found I needed to enter my own value for the PreSonus Studio 1810c USB-C Audio Interface.  I also wonder how many calibrate for vst instruments when using midi (by entering a midi offset)?  I guess the two instances are overdubbing just audio and overdubbing to a vst drum track.  Am I over thinking this???

Thanks,

Ken

Edited by kzmaier

Not at all. More people need to be aware of the latency and timing offset.  Testing found that Cakewalks reported latency is generally very accurate and you can confirm this by testing with https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon  

The other way to check on your sync is do a loopback test. Same hook up as the Latency monitor but then you loop back a Kick or snare track made by bouncing a midi part. Record a new audio track from this.  You then zoom in until your down at the sample level and see if they are lining up. 

ASIO drivers if written properly should report accurately to Cakewalk so it can adjust for latency. All of the ASIO interfaces I tested came out right on or within an amount that is not going to matter. After all, real music like a symphony orchestra has a lot of latency.  Walk 6' from your guitar amp, you have latency. But it's important to have control over what is happening if your a fussy person about timing  like me :)  

2020-11-04 (6).png

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

Of note above is the better performance from the  Scarlett 6i6 over the Tascam in using none ASIO drivers.  The Tascam is much older than the 6i6 so this might be expected. I'd be interested to know what the Scarlett 3rd Generations WASAPI performance would be. 

Also of note is that for my 2 interfaces WASAPI exclusive mode was worse than WDM mode. And both interfaces refused to use WASAPI shared. The 6i6 refused to use MME mode.  

One thing that I think makes the timing off is when you switch to none ASIO modes the Timing offset changes to something very weird and cannot be changed back even though the Focusrite shows as an option,, just like that pesky Generic Steinberg driver.  Also these other crappy audio drivers try to take over your Playback and Recording Timing Masters but at least those can be changed back. But how many people think to check this stuff. 

When I change back to ASIO mode the crappy drivers are no longer on either of those lists. 

2020-11-05 (1).png

2020-11-05.png

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1