Impedance blah blah blah

Gswitz

Thanks, @JohnG

No big thing. I can hear the differences, but they are subtle. Both tracks would stand.

When using more than 2 ribbons, I'll probably use the asp880 on low impedance for spillover. When possible, I'll use the neve for the ribbons.

I'll not be disappointed if no one listens to the tracks. They were a study i did for myself that I'm sharing the results of.

• Like 1

And that's the thing with mics isn't it?

Some are good for acoustic guitar, others for men's or women's voices, some for micing a bass drum.

The differences are often subtle, placement, distance, even angle can have their affect.

I've just two I kept. A Beta 58 for live use and a small condenser one (? make), for my wife, the singer of the two of us.

Edited by JohnG
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnG said:

I defer to younger people

Who, me?

@Gswitz, I listened, although I knew I wouldn't be able to give any meaningful appraisal.

Dare I say, they all sound the same to me and that is more a demonstration of a complete lack of skill on my part when it comes to making judgements on stuff like this.

Does anyone remember the Golden Ears online test a couple of years ago? I failed miserably... Only just got my Bronze Ear award!

I have been listening on my main PC through my OCTA-CAPTURE and KRK KNS 8400 headphones, so perhaps that didn't help.

I'd be really interested to hear what other peeps think, perhaps give a description or breakdown off the characteristics of the four recordings.

cheers, and apologies,

andy :)

• Like 1

I'll give a listen when I get home. Though I am a lot like JohnG and that my age and hearing are both used up.

JohnG you worked on the Concords?

I was really enjoying the conversation that Gswitz was having with himself in the first part of this thread!! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gswitz said:

http://gswitz.blob.core.windows.net/tunes/20190312_Preamps_A.wav

http://gswitz.blob.core.windows.net/tunes/20190312_Preamps_B.wav

http://gswitz.blob.core.windows.net/tunes/20190312_Preamps_C.wav

http://gswitz.blob.core.windows.net/tunes/20190312_Preamps_D.wav

I recorded a ribbon mic and a small diaphragm condenser. I used the identical guitar passage re-amped. I used the identical analog to digital converter. The only difference was the preamps. On both preamps, I used the high-pass filter set around the same place. I didn't move the mics between the two; I only unplugged the mics from one pre and plugged them into the other.

Then I normalized the tracks to -3 dB.

The ldc was recorded at high impedance on the Audient ASP 880 which is 2800 Ohms.

The ribbon on the Audient was recorded at low impedance or 220 Ohms.

On the Neve, both had an input impedance of 9600 or so.

What do you think?

I think they all sound the same since every link goes to the same sample (A).  I've changing the URL and saving each to take a listen, but thought I should point that out! 😉

• Like 1

Ok, after downloading the correct samples, here's my initial assessment.  Sample A is nice and clear, samples C and D are a tiny bit brighter but pretty much the same and B has a good bit more presence and brightness (a tad too much for my preference).

Not sure if that helps but, if it doesn't then, here, have some becan! 😉

becan%20pile.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Grem said:

JohnG you worked on the Concords?

Not again! That's Concordes with an E.

[rant] Why do I have to keep correcting spelling? It's the bane of my life!!! [/rant]  😉

Very, very early days before anything was built, we had a "mock up" of the Concorde fuselage in a hanger at B.A.C. Weybridge.  Barnes Wallace was still there, in semi-retirement, he was working on the earliest "swing-wing" designs. All apprentices were introduced to the "grand old man" in the old Brooklands Race Track club house, with the Grand Slam and Tall Boy bombs stood on end outside.  I was assured they were empty! There's an aviation museum there now with a Concorde parked outside.

I can't remember now whether it was called Concorde then, maybe B.A.C. 2-12.

Part of my electronics apprenticeship was understanding how control surfaces could be moved by actuators, and understanding the forces, due to air flow, that had to be overcome. How different those forces could be once suprsonic speeds were attained. These were very early "fly by wire" (no computer control) systems, back then it meant that there were no steel cables running from the joystick and pedals to the control surfaces (elevators, ailerons, rudder, etc.).

So, actually work on the Concorde itself, no. I worked primarily on Vickers VC-10's and BAC 1-11's.  Cockpit, radio bay, generators and power supply.

The advanced design work on Concorde was being done at that time back in Weybridge, in the mid sixties.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Grem said:

You doing a fine job! Keep it up! : )

"A fine job"? Oh dear! 😑

Well that's the final nail in the coffin.  😕

I didn't know it was really THAT bad.   😟

I'll go and start digging the six foot hole.  😢   😭

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, synkrotron said:

I took that as a positive.

Check the smilies, Synkrotron, the smilies. 😏

Oh, no! Not more electrical puns. Okay, here's mine:

I've tried hard to accumulate a little neutrality over the years, but one can't help but generate some negativity even when resisting current trends.

Sorry, that's the best I can do this afternoon.

😫 😴 😴 😴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ohm Dear, I'm shocked that this thread may me about to enter into a terminal decline. It hertz me to think Watt James would make of it all. All these puns are quite revolting but I'm trying not to be phased by them.

Edited by paulo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, paulo said:

Ohm Dear, I'm shocked that this thread may me about to enter into a terminal decline. It hertz me to think Watt James would make of it all. All these puns are quite revolting but I'm trying not to be phased by them.

That's funny I tesla.

I'm off to listen to AC/DC.

• Like 1