Why did Cakewalk get free?

Aloe Duke

12 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

The article says,

"BandLab bought acclaimed music production software Cakewalk from Gibson Brands earlier this year, stripped away its subscription model and made it a 'pay as you like' affair."

Not sure what that means,

I assume it is referring to the tip jar that was available for users to show their appreciation of Bandlab in the early days of the CbB takeover - haven't seen it mentioned recently though

10 hours ago, seakay said:

Yeah cakewalk is better than lots of paid daws. I just wish it had a built in sampler so I can easily play samples through midi or edit samples without a 3rd party plugin.

I'm still puzzled as why they didn't work on RapturePro  or even DimPro and include it.  I actually would rather have RapturePro be a paid option so it gets some love by the developers.  Really with how many folks must of downloaded CbB I would think a vast majority would spend a few $ to have it.  My 2 cents  for the morning :)

Idk, I see it different, a bit. I would prefer that for a simple one-sample use, think of 808s, they would create a new very simple sampler based functionality that's baked-in flat into Cakewalk as if it was another piano roll, loop construction view, etc. Not resources hungry, not crashy, Cubase does it perfectly and it seems very simple and it looks like Cakewalk already has most of the code for that. For all the other, more advanced jobs, let them work on Rapture/DimPro or let us use 3rd party sampler.

Edited by chris.r

4 hours ago, InstrEd said:

I'm still puzzled as why they didn't work on RapturePro  or even DimPro and include it.  I actually would rather have RapturePro be a paid option so it gets some love by the developers.  Really with how many folks must of downloaded CbB I would think a vast majority would spend a few $ to have it.  My 2 cents  for the morning :)

I think the new context for requesting a "sampler" for Cakewalk means something simple like the old Cakewalk "Dropzone", where you can quickly drop in any sample and have it key mapped or used as a loop or one shot. Something with a bit more control over sound than just dropping the sample into a track, but not as complex as a full fledged sampler instrument like RapturePro or Kontakt, etc. The main requirement for that workflow is that is tightly integrated into the DAW, and always there and just ready to go.

3 minutes ago, abacab said:

I think the new context for requesting a "sampler" for Cakewalk means something simple like the old Cakewalk "Dropzone", where you can quickly drop in any sample and have it key mapped or used as a loop or one shot. Something with a bit more control over sound than just dropping the sample into a track, but not as complex as a full fledged sampler instrument like RapturePro or Kontakt, etc. The main requirement for that workflow is that is tightly integrated into the DAW, and always there and just ready to go.

Oh I got you now. I agree that would be nice to have. Yet CbB does offer us so much and for free I sometimes feel we should be grateful for what we have.  I'm one of the old folks that for some reason to a liking to DimPro and would like to see it come back to life.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Oh I got you now. I agree that would be nice to have. Yet CbB does offer us so much and for free I sometimes feel we should be grateful for what we have.  I'm one of the old folks that for some reason to a liking to DimPro and would like to see it come back to life.

LOL, I'm old folks too! But I do pay attentive to what the young folks are doing!

I have all of the old Cakewalk instruments except for Rapture Pro, and they are the first soft synths I used. So they hold a special place for me. But I am all for Cakewalk being updated to a more inclusive creative DAW for things other than recording audio tracks. My first use of Cakewalk was as a MIDI sequencer for my hardware.

I would like to see BandLab bring back some former plug-ins as you have suggested, but realize that DimPro and Rapture classic were already  EOL before Cakewalk Inc. shut down. The Bakers had already combined those 2 synths into Rapture Pro, which  along with Z3TA+2 were the only current Cakewalk synths remaining at the time of the Gibson apocalypse.

Don't think the earlier ones would ever see the light of day again. Sad, but the market is quite crowded now with soft synths. Even if BandLab ever releases any more plug-ins, the free model will probably not be available for them. They only committed to keeping the DAW free.

3 hours ago, InstrEd said:

I guess I should move on and save my pennies for Omnisphere.  I think I could get lost it that monster of a Synth.

Pennies, ha! That could take a while! But Amazon has a good price... https://www.amazon.com/Spectrasonics-OMNI2-Omnisphere-2/dp/B00X6H7CCI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top

It would seem that Omnisphere is a cult where you have to buy it on faith, as there is no demo available.

But once you have spent $500 on it, who is going to say it's bad? 🤪