List of all associated audio files?

winkpain

Question

Is there a quick/easy way to view and then export this for an entire project?

I only know of doing a Select all (Ctrl-A) and then choosing Associated Audio Files (Shift-K). This brings up a window listing all the said files, but the window is un-sizeable , so therefor very awkward to view a long list of long file paths/names. AND it allows no way to even copy or export this list.

Is there some other way??

8 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

As far as I know, that is the only way from inside the project.

Another tool is the Cakewalk Audio Finder, which you can access from the global Utilities menu as "CWAF Tool."

Thank you! Yes, I forgot to mention that I know the CWAF tool, but this is (correct me if I'm wrong) a global audio finder tool, taking some time to do a system-wide search and then showing all files and all projects and their associations requiring quite a bit more work than just displaying all used files in the current project only in a readable list. Even when choosing the current project in the CWAF tool after it spends the time to do its search, it only sort of highlights the files by putting them at the top of a big list. If you then "Save report" , the report still contains the massive list of all files. 

I am looking just for a simple list of used files in the current project only that I can export in some way to be available as a list for remote collaborators who share libraries. Even if I could expand the window from Associated Audio Files and do a screen capture of the full list, this would be better than nothing!  Why is this window (or any file list window for that matter) un-sizeable anyway??  I know this is pointless to ask because there's likely no way to change it, and I could likely do this with the CWAF window,  but just saying....

29 minutes ago, winkpain said:

I am looking just for a simple list of used files in the current project only

Yeah, that's the big drawback to the CWAF Tool, it enumerates everything.

Being able to easily get a list of the files used by a single project is something that I have feature requested in other DAW's to no avail. Considering that the information is embedded in each project file, you'd think it might not be that hard to do, but there it is(n't).

Using the default settings, specifically a per-project audio folder and Always Copy Imported Audio Files, all the audio (and possibly more) used in the project is in the project's audio folder.

To get a list of the files, open a command window in the project's audio folder and use the OS's Dir command to list its content, redirecting the output to a file like this

dir > filelist.txt

A project can contain audio files no longer referenced in the project, there are several ways to remove files not referenced in the project. One way is the Save As function. When using this make sure Copy all audio with project is enabled. This can create the project in a new location with only the audio clips referenced in the project.

Before sharing a project it is probably a good idea to create a fresh copy anyway. Running dir /s in the project folder or outside the project folder dir /s <project folder path> will generate a list of all the contents of the project.

• Great Idea 1

19 hours ago, Base 57 said:

At the top of the app under "Project" the first selection is "Audio Files".  I don't know if that will help anymore than what you are already doing.

Wow! That's exactly it! It's been staring me in the face all these years and I've never noticed it.

Thanks so much!

19 hours ago, scook said:

Using the default settings, specifically a per-project audio folder and Always Copy Imported Audio Files, all the audio (and possibly more) used in the project is in the project's audio folder.

To get a list of the files, open a command window in the project's audio folder and use the OS's Dir command to list its content, redirecting the output to a file like this

dir > filelist.txt

And this is a good idea to get it into a text file, which is ultimately all I currently need. I'm not sharing the project or the files. I just need to deliver a list to a collaborator.

Many thanks, as alwars!