Hi Hat Randomly Opening and Closing in Midi Track

Scott Kendrick

Have another mystery - hopefully posting in the right forum. I record using midi (captured from Roland TD25) and processed with the EZDrummer 2 instrument... I have a number of open hi-hat midi notes, all on the same line (same note on the piano roll). But sometimes, the hi hat is shutting, truncating the note, and other times, the hi hat is opening more than with other notes. I've inspected the piano roll for any duplicate notes, even zoomed all the way in. I can't see anything that would cause this... even solo'd the hihat.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to hunt down the cause?

Thanks

One of the contributing factors here is I have take lanes through multiple takes, however, I've inspected ever aspect, trimmed and deleted certain takes and I can't find the offending event. Note I also tried shutting off humanizing in EZD, no luck. I think the event list may help ( I was not familiar with it) - but having troubles understanding it.

- Why are some in orange some in black?

- I have no idea why so many 4-Foot controller notes listed here - I believe this is the issue, but these shouldn't be here

image.thumb.png.8f5b7120f07e867c555379021cfc1256.png

2 hours ago, Scott Kendrick said:

Is there a way to select all 4-Foot controller notes within a specific time range, to delete these?

That would be a great feature....perhaps you could suggest it....I know there's a place to do that somewhere on this site!

(Filter/Select events by time range, text search, controller number, etc.)

Thank you @Johnny Tsao - so unchecking controller should prevent all those from being captured.... but will that effect the resulting note that is captured? I'm assuming the controller combined with the hi-hat trigger defines what state the hi-hat is in and therefore which midi note - e.g. closed tight, closed, open a bit, open more, etc...

What I find odd is that even when the right note is triggered in the piano roll, the sound can be different. So perhaps, I need to capture the Controller to begin with, but then I can delete all of those controller signals after capturing.