Advise - Garage Band Tape

sadicus

Looking for advice on how to best restore a 44.1 24bit recorded session from tape.
The LR channels have been split mono so each can be EQ and gatted differently if needed and sent to a BUS for any additional effects.

here is my only idea so far

1. ParaEQ to pull out obvious unwanted frequencies
  2. EQ to restore the good frequencies
  3. Compressor
  4. Gate - to reduce tape hiss

[...how to best restore a 44.1 24bit recorded session from tape.]

I understood this so that it's a digital tape recording, but maybe I got it wrong ? There would not be tape hiss or unwanted frequencies (due to tape) on a digital tape (?)

So the question is how to transfer an analog tape recording to 44,1/24 ?

Possibly the OP has a Wave or MP3 version of a song that was originally recorded on a 4 track Tape deck. I have lots of those.  But he could also be talking about a 44.1 ADAT 8 track which you are correct should not need much. Especially if they still have an ADAT machine and a way to transfer into Cakewalk all 8 track, I guess we need more info. 

Edited by John Vere

If you can, the first step I would recommend is a destructive noise reduction pass with Adobe Audition or iZotope RX (can trial either one). Once signal-to-noise has been expanded you can mix it like anything else. EQs are not surgical enough to do what those other two will. 

• Like 1