Akai VIP Standard

cclarry

Even though I have VIP 3 and love it, I would hesitate to recommend it now until I see further proof of life from Akai. It has been a long time since they released an update, or support for VST3. It's still VST2 only.

It is still good at what it was designed to do, but I'm afraid Akai's parent company, inMusic, appears to be cutting back active development to all of their software lines such as AIR Music and Sonivox, without comment. I think DJ hardware is the main focus for Akai now.

Edited by abacab
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

How is this any different from Komplete Kontrol?

• You can create multis  with layers or splits (hi/lo key ranges assignable for each) with up to 8 plug-in instruments from your VST collection. Each instrument has 4 insert FX plug-in slots, and  sends to the 4 available busses. Looks like a mixer window in a DAW.
  • The instruments don't have to be NKS ready. They just need to be able to share preset  info with VIP. Most plugins work for this, but some do not. VIP can't fix this if the plug-in developer did not provide this ability. Some instruments have factory preset maps, but they can be user generated.
  • The browser will index the presets based on the factory and user maps, and tags can be assigned. I have over 23,000+ presets listed in mine, that can be filtered by tags such as instrument, timbre, style, and articulation. The presets generally load fast, and don't need to open the plugin UI to play. The instrument UI is optional, and not needed to browse and select presets.
  • Downside: Does not support loading VST3. The workaround for this is to insert VIP as a plugin in your DAW, and then insert any VST3 instruments side by side with VIP in the DAW mixer. In this manner VIP functions as a virtual sub-mixer for any VIP multis that you created.

VIP Multi.PNG

Edited by abacab
  • Like 3