Feature Request : Auto Insert Buss

Mark Morgon-Shaw

Quite simply, drag an FX  from the Browser to a blank area on the RH side of the Console View Busses and have it insert a new Buss automatically containing said FX

This would be a more streamlined workflow and reduce the steps needed when setting up busses for reverbs , delays etc.  It would also be consistent with how you can drag & drop a new instrument in the track view.

1 hour ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

It would also be consistent with how you can drag & drop a new instrument in the track view.

Trying to understand the proposed workflow. So far as I can see, dropping and dragging an instrument from the Browser to an empty [non-track] area in the Track View opens up the Insert Soft Synth dialog.  Are you also proposing an Insert FX dialog?

Quite simply, drag an FX  from the Browser to a blank area on the RH side of the Console View Busses and have it insert a new Buss automatically containing said FX

It would also be consistent with how you can drag & drop a new instrument in the track view.

22 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

No, I I didn't say that at all , please re-read

I re-read as per your suggestion. I guess I don't see what you are proposing as being consistent with what happens within Cakewalk when I drag and drop a new instrument in the track view. 

UPDATE: But its really not worth any more time discussing.  Sorry I asked.

Edited by User 905133
to add an update

39 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

No,  I didn't say that at all , please re-read ( clue is in post title ) 

18 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

UPDATE: But its really not worth any more time discussing.  Sorry I asked.

Peace and tranquility. Woo-Za! 

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I guess I don't see what you are proposing as being consistent with what happens within Cakewalk when I drag and drop a new instrument in the track view. 

Having the UI behave in a uniform manner across the App , if you can drag-drop-create a new instrument track, it follows that you should be able to drag-drop-create a new buss. 

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

But its really not worth any more time discussing.

51 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

. . . if you can drag-drop-create a new instrument track, it follows that you should be able to drag-drop-create a new buss. 

Since you insist:

non se·qui·tur  (noun) - a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement.

Pedant: a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning.

ad ho·mi·nem  (adjective) - (of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.

Dude,  I was just trying to understand your workflow.

5 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

This would be a more streamlined workflow and reduce the steps needed when setting up busses for reverbs , delays etc.  It would also be consistent with how you can drag & drop a new instrument in the track view.

So I asked a respectful question in a respectful manner.

5 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Trying to understand the proposed workflow. So far as I can see, dropping and dragging an instrument from the Browser to an empty [non-track] area in the Track View opens up the Insert Soft Synth dialog.  Are you also proposing an Insert FX dialog?

Rather than respond with respect, you gave a terse and said to re-read the original post as if I would find something that addressed what I was asking about. I re-read it, still didn't find what I was addressing, and added but I didn't think it was worth discussing.

When you replied with something non-responsive to what I was asking about, and had an if . . . then . . .  statement, I simply pointed out that your logic was a nin-sequitur.

You replied with name calling.

If you want to continue the path from reasonable discussion to name calling, I will give that more thought--if you insist.

It sounds to me based on your reply that you think that everyone's workflow should be identical to everyone else's workflow, that everyone uses the program the same way that you do, and/or everyone should do things your way. If so, that is your choice, but I disagree. In fact one of the things that I have long appreciated about SONAR/Cakewalk is its extreme flexibility and customizability. 

Maybe you also agree that every feature available in one view should be available in every view.  I don't know, because rather than responding to a reasonable request stated in a reasonable way you became insulting and swore at me.

4 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

It sounds to me based on your reply that you think that everyone's workflow should be identical to everyone else's workflow,

If you don't know what a buss is in mixing then I can't help you.  My OP is pretty clear, and  I think you'll find I haven't in fact sworn at you. Yet . 

5 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

If you don't know what a buss is in mixing then I can't help you.  My OP is pretty clear, and  I think you'll find I haven't in fact sworn at you. Yet . 

(1) You have posited a number of erroneous assumptions. 

(2) Your rationale for having a feature request is based on a non sequitur (If we can do X in one place, we should be able to do Y in a different place).

(3) What do you think the F stands for in RTFM? (Clue: See this. WARNING: The site linked here contains a swear word that some might find offensive. Please do not click on the link if you might be offended.)

(4) Please go back to the basis for my original question: "It would also be consistent with how you can drag & drop a new instrument in the track view." Dragging and dropping a new instrument from the Browser [X] in the Track View [one place] doesn't always directly insert a new track.  Your rationale for the feature request is based on this.

I could be wrong, but I think you want to be able to drag and drop an FX plug-in from the Browser {Y] in the Console View [a different place] and in so doing directly insert a new buss.

It was a simple question, asked respectfully, since your rationale is for consistency in workflows:

11 hours ago, User 905133 said:

It seemed to me that to have consistency, there could be an intermediary "Insert FX" dialog.  

It was really a simple question asked respectfully to which you replied, no, please re-read. 

I pointed out what I see as a logical inconsistency in your reply:

8 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Having the UI behave in a uniform manner across the App , if you can drag-drop-create a new instrument track, it follows that you should be able to drag-drop-create a new buss. 

I did not engage in name-calling [ad hominem] and I did not swear at you.

(5) 

7 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Pedant: a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning.

Don't confuse my willingness to explicitly reject your insulting and rude comments with pedantry. I would not otherwise have had the desire to reiterate all these details. As I said earlier:

11 hours ago, User 905133 said:

. . . its really not worth any more time discussing.  Sorry I asked.

Really! It was a simple question, asked without any tinge of disrespect.  You chose to just say no, re-read.  I have now gone from "Sorry I asked" to "Sorry I asked and wasted my time and the time of anyone who spend any time reading any of this."

Just to be clear, I have made no comments about the usefulness of your proposed feature. 

10 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Peace and tranquility. Woo-Za! 

Edited by User 905133
to change "had" to "have had" (a) to be grammatically correct and (b) to satisfy the requirements of pedantry :-P

I would also like the same to happen on the Track view: drag'n'drop an FX plugin from the Browser to the empty space and an audio track would be created with the dropped plugin in it. Would be handy for inserting audio tracks with amp sims, VU meters etc.