Mystery - Export Doesn't Sound Like Mix

Scott Kendrick

Question

I have a weird mystery that I hope is something really simple but I can't figure it out... I have a very simple start of a mix - it's drums only. When I listen to the mix in Cakewalk it sounds fine, but when I export (selection or project) to a high quality MP3 it sounds really different... really boomy almost like the overheads or ambient is turned way up. 

Some other info on the project - drums are a midi file with output set to EZdrummer and the ezdrummer instrument in the project split by multiple tracks - same way I've always done it. I haven't added any FX to the instruments or masters. I do have all the drums routing to it's own master bus, but nothing touched on that.

Help :) (please)

5 answers to this question

On 11/1/2020 at 6:24 AM, Scott Kendrick said:

I just need to figure out to fix it on my main PC

Windows has "enhancements" built in that should be disabled for accurate monitoring, and many times, especially if you're monitoring through the onboard CODEC, there will be other software that comes with the PC that is designed to help small PC speakers imitate movie theater sound. You need to find all that stuff and turn it off. Look in the system tray in the lower right corner of your screen.

Cakewalk isn't subject to those enhancements if you're running with ASIO driver mode (including ASIO4ALL), and I think even WASAPI Exclusive bypasses them, which explains why it sounds one way in Cakewalk and another with programs that just use the standard Windows drivers for output.

• Thanks 1