cakewalk won't find melodyne

andy clare

I'm a long time cakewalk user but have never dabbled with melodyne so I thought I'd give it a go.

I couldnt find melodyne on my system so went to bandlab assistant- 'add ons'. All boxes were ticked indicating I already have the melodyne add on.

I searched my pc again but it's definitely not there.

I then went to celemony website direct and downloaded the trial version of melodyne 5.

all works fine in stand alone mode but cakewalk will not find it in vst scan. I've triple checked the path and it's correct. 

why is cakewalk not recognising melodyne? is there a way to force melodyne into cakewalk? if not, is it possible to use melodyne in stand alone mode in collaboration with cakewalk?

thanks in advance

Use the time-limited version bundled with CbB if you do not have a license for Melodyne

This continues to work in monophonic mode for audio to MIDI and tempo detection after the demo expires. The Editor does not function after the demo time period expires. This means the plug-in can only work in the background. The editor (the visual portion of the plug-in) stops working after the trial period. My guess is the trial period has lapsed.

The VST3 format must be installed to use Melodyne as a Region FX. If Melodyne shows up in Windows installed programs running repair provides an opportunity to install the format.

BandLab Assistant keeps track of what has been installed by creating entries in the registry so once something has been run from the BA Add Ons menu it is disabled.

These entries are in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Installers

I cannot tell you the exact name of the entry as I use a licensed copy of Melodyne but the records are pretty descriptive.

If for some reason any VST plug-in does not appear in the "Sort by" plug-in layouts

• Insure the plug-in is in the scan path in preferences (the default VST3 plug-in path is added by default). If the path is missing and is not under a path already defined in preferences
    • add the path
    • click the Scan button
  • Check the excluded plug-ins list in the Plug-in Manager. This is done by
    • Selecting a Plug-in Category in the Plug-In Manager
    • Select the Show Excluded radio button below the Plug-in Categories
    • If the plug-in appears in the Excluded list, it may have failed to scan. If this is the case, in VST preferences (the link above)
    • set the Scan Options drop down to Manual Scan
    • select Scan Failed Plug-ins
    • click the Scan button
    • deselect Rescan Failed Plug-ins
  • If the plug-in does not appear in the Excluded list or fails to scan, using the VST preference page
    • verify both Scan in Sandbox and Generate Scan Log are enabled (the rescan options should not be selected)
    • click the Reset button
    • If the plug-in fails to appear in the "Sort by" plug-in lists or in this case as a Region FX, review the scan log.

While the preferred method of working with Melodyne is as a Region FX, it is possible to add the Melodyne stand alone version as an external editor to the Tools section of the Utility menu. The easiest way to add anything to this part of the menu is using a free program I wrote called Tools Editor. For more info about it and a download link see

Keep in mind, demos of the external editor just like the editor in the plug-in will stop operating after the trial period.

5 hours ago, andy clare said:

I'm a long time cakewalk user

I am assuming this did not include one of the SONAR X3 or later versions that included a license to Meldoyne Essential.

If you have a license, that is the product to install. The installer for it would be in your Celemony account.