Gone Baby Gone: Mix 2

Kevin Walsh

I just finished this one this evening. This one was tough for me. It turned into an exercise in how to put some urgency and energy into an 80 bpm song. :)

Your comments and critique on the mix is most welcome. 

Update: New mix, taking care of the scritchy thing and some levels with lows and leads. Also, I borrowed a page from George Martin and sped up the mix to about 84 bpm. World of difference. Should have started there!

Oh yeah, here's the lyrics.

Gone, Baby, Gone
Kevin Walsh 10/28/2020

verse 1

two men by a broken shack
two go in but one comes back
yeah we know what's going on
that man was here but now he's gone

chorus

ooh yeah he's gone baby gone
ooh yeah he's gone baby gone baby gone

verse 2

she stood framed in black and white
the kind of luck that fades at night
the room beyond the door was bright
two steps she knew would change her life

chorus

verse 3
she claimed she had second site
she said the spirits came at night
heard their cries beyond the grave
didn't know which one to save

Edited by Kevin Walsh
  • Like 3

I like this song, good detailed arrangement too.  My only niggle is the scratchy sounding guitar (I think it's the guitar) on the left, not sure if that's how you wanted it to sound but it seems a little distracting. 

The groove reminds me of a Bonamassa song.

I tend to start a song at too slow of a tempo which I don't even notice until someone points it out. And then like you said it makes a big difference to bump it up a few BPM.
The lyrics seem like they relate to a real life event. I'm not sure what's going on but that just adds to the mystery and your voice fits the theme very well.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 1:16 PM, Douglas Kirby said:

vocal reminded me a bit of Stephen Stills

I can see that.
Now he needs some extra voices in the chorus (think Nash and Crosby; that's what makes Stills' vocals work so well)

No one has mentioned (WT hey?) the "breakdown" there at 2:04ish; very cool!

All in on this one Kevin; 👍's and toes!

t

Edited by DeeringAmps
Spelling
  • Like 2

On 11/5/2020 at 5:24 PM, bjornpdx said:

I tend to start a song at too slow of a tempo which I don't even notice until someone points it out. And then like you said it makes a big difference to bump it up a few BPM.
The lyrics seem like they relate to a real life event. I'm not sure what's going on but that just adds to the mystery and your voice fits the theme very well.

Thank you bjorn, I'm always doing that too. I guess the lyrics do relate to a life event, but not mine. :)

On 11/6/2020 at 10:06 AM, DeeringAmps said:

I can see that.
Now he needs some extra voices in the chorus (think Nash and Crosby; that's what makes Stills' vocals work so well)

No one has mentioned (WT hey?) the "breakdown" there at 2:04ish; very cool!

All in on this one Kevin; 👍's and toes!

t

Thanks for giving it chance! I'm really glad you dug it, thank you!

• Like 1

Hey I liked your tune Kevin ! Has a nice Swamp Rock type of vibe going for it ...

Sounds clean almost a little  too clean in places ( some of the guitars ) I like when you added a little crunch to a few of the guitars as the song played through ..

Yeah the vocals fit for sure ...overall your song was genuine sounding ...

this was a good listen

Kenny

Kevin, I really like the vibe of the verses, and the electric guitar fills are great. As Kurt said above, the acoustic seems to be messing with the mix. It might even be slightly off time/unaligned with the other tracks.  I'd either tone it down or redo it.

My biggest (and possibly most painful for you) word of advice would be to rework the chorus. It isn't strong enough as is. It could be so much better with a stronger chorus. Either more complexity in the vocal/musical arrangement - (think of Rolling Stones Citadel) or a rewrite. I hope this doesn't upset you as I imagine it is a very personal song, and I do love the vibe and tone of your voice.

All the best :)

32 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

Kevin, I really like the vibe of the verses, and the electric guitar fills are great. As Kurt said above, the acoustic seems to be messing with the mix. It might even be slightly off time/unaligned with the other tracks.  I'd either tone it down or redo it.

My biggest (and possibly most painful for you) word of advice would be to rework the chorus. It isn't strong enough as is. It could be so much better with a stronger chorus. Either more complexity in the vocal/musical arrangement - (think of Rolling Stones Citadel) or a rewrite. I hope this doesn't upset you as I imagine it is a very personal song, and I do love the vibe and tone of your voice.

All the best :)

Philip, fear not, I'm very grateful for your feedback. I've been thinking along the same lines with respect to the arrangement. I struggle to push a song out of the path that it's laid for itself, and this one seemed to want a simple repetitive vibe. I think I have to let this one sit for some time until the grooves in my brain fade a bit and allows me to see other possibilities for it. Thanks again for your criticism, it's very welcome indeed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

Hey I liked your tune Kevin ! Has a nice Swamp Rock type of vibe going for it ...

Sounds clean almost a little  too clean in places ( some of the guitars ) I like when you added a little crunch to a few of the guitars as the song played through ..

Yeah the vocals fit for sure ...overall your song was genuine sounding ...

this was a good listen

Kenny

Thank you, Kenny, I'm glad to hear you liked it! 

very cool tune Kevin - love the atmosphere that you've created and all of the rhythmic elements.

I'm not sure if I'm hearing things but there may be some slight timing issues (bass/vocals) when it goes into the Gone Baby Gone (chorus) part that makes that part go a little flat energy-wise?  

On 11/10/2020 at 7:14 AM, daryl1968 said:

very cool tune Kevin - love the atmosphere that you've created and all of the rhythmic elements.

I'm not sure if I'm hearing things but there may be some slight timing issues (bass/vocals) when it goes into the Gone Baby Gone (chorus) part that makes that part go a little flat energy-wise?  

Thank you Daryl, I appreciate you listening closely enough to find that! 

The style of this song is that your vocal falls a little behind the beat, something I love about a lot of your stuff, and I think Daryl has it right as the cumulative result appears as though there is a slight time issue, yep I would say the bass is off a tad but I wouldn't loose sleep over it. Scratchy guitar ? just mix it with a little less high end on the acoustic see how that sounds ...but again, all good really. I believe you know the chorus needs beefing up as that's the message the whole lyric brings you to, so that needs work ... a female vocalist D/T at say 1/3rd left and right in the mix and you harmonizing  ...well, who knows, could work .. But for me this sounded great in the studio ..love it and great to hear another KW song 👍

S