Mixer levels for virtual synth track and midi track

brandon

Question

I would appreciate some advice re the following.

I am mixing the tracks in a song which includes some soft synths and their associated midi tracks. Given that both types of  track have  volume faders and pan knobs which track should I actually be controlling; the midi track or the synth track? And if it is the one track I should be controlling what do I do with the other fader and pan knob?

Thanks

4 answers to this question

Not necessarily. If you're just using a single instrument synth, then sure - the MIDI volume and the softsynth volume can be more or less interchangeable (this isn't including things like pre-fader sends and things like that - you'd adjust your workflow if you're doing something a little more advanced  like that), but you might have a multi-instrument synth with a single output that requires a bunch of MIDI tracks to feed it, eg: an orchestral player or a General MIDI player, where you'd have a different instrument on each MIDI track playing through a single softsynth output. In that case, the softsynth out would act as the master for everything and you'd adust the levels of each instrument on the MIDI tracks.