Rocksmith cable & MIDI Guitar 2 plug-in issues (lots of them)

Brian Johnston

I tried different USB ports, and so that's not the issue.  Unable to record and playback Rocksmith via USB. I can record ONLY IF I don't use my Line 6 Tone Port (I can record, but not hear... I'm using ASIO4ALL to record).  I can only hear IF I reboot Sonar X3 once I reestablish Tone Port ASIO.  Literally, this is the only way I can record... and then play back. I cannot hear anything that I'm recording, by the way.  I have to record, reboot the program with the Tone Port (not ASIO4ALL) to hear the outcome. I can't even use my computer speakers to record and playback, which is very odd. 

This is frustrating as I want to then use Guitar MIDI 2 plug-in so that I can use my guitar as a controller.  Using my piano via USB is no issue.  And I can record then hear the outcome with MIDI Guitar 2, but it's the same BS as above... getting Cakewalk to recognize Rocksmith properly (or... getting the input and output set up properly).

Is this what your trying to get to work with a DAW?? Good luck. If it doesn't come with a proper ASIO driver your bound to have issues. It might work if you try WASAPI mode and not asio4all. But this depends on your line 6 which I think is also a device that has weak ASIO support.  

61ZJsaN8bAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I tried the WASAPI and couldn't get it to work (which may be an issue with my lack of computer tech knowledge).  The MIDI Guitar 2 company suggested: "install loopMidi and feed MIDI from MG2 into Cakewalk with a virtual midi cable," but I looked into it and couldn't figure out what the heck it was about or how to implement it in my DAW (even with the vague instruction).

I cannot speak to your audio interfaces but can share my experiences with setting up MIDI Guitar 2. My audio interface uses the factory supplied ASIO driver and all audio is handle by the interface. My guitar, headphones and monitors are attached to the audio interface.

To use it as a plug-in in Cakewalk by BandLab (X3 use is similar).

• Add MG2 to an audio track FX rack
  • Above the MG2 UI click the VST2 drop down and select "Enable MIDI Output"
  • Enable input echo on the track
  • Add any synth to the project
  • Set the input of the instrument/MIDI track to MG2
  • Enable input echo on the instrument/MIDI track

At this point it should be possible to play guitar and here the resulting MIDI trigger the synth.

To use MG2 outside of the DAW requires installing LoopMIDI or LoopBe1. I prefer LoopBe1 because of the buffering used by LoopMIDI. Regadless, any virtual MIDI cable should work. The setup is as follows:

• Start MG2 standalone
  • Verify the audio interface and MIDI interface are setup in MG2 (MIDI Output should be set to the virtual MIDI cable)
  • Use the default patch in MG2 (this does not load anything in MG2 because it is being used just to convert audio to MIDI)
  • Start CbB
  • Verify the virtual MIDI cable is setup as a MIDI input device in preferences
  • Add a synth to the project
  • Set the instrument/MIDI track input to the virtual MIDI cable
  • Enable input echo on the instrument/MIDI track

At this point it should be possible to play guitar and here the resulting MIDI trigger the synth.

Note: both methods do not load synths directly into MG2. This may be done and is necessary for play-in synths in the standalone version but it is not necessary when using a DAW. I prefer to run synths outside of the plug-in on their own tracks.

I just tested the rocksmith cable in WASAPI shared and Wasapi exclusive mode and it works fine here. I output through a different headset device. In fact in WASAPI exclusive I could go down to about 5 msec buffer sizes and it worked ok.
It also works with my focusrite as an output but the focusrite has poor WASAPI latency. 
What problem are you running into - do you get any error messages?

• 1 month later...