[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.10 Early Access 3 [Updated 5-Nov-2020]

Morten Saether

10 hours ago, mkerl said:

As it turns out, the sharing violation isn't solved with the update of Steinberg elincer. When I close cakewalk and open again and start working on my test-project I have the same sharing violation when saving. So I "save as" and can then save the new project as long cakewalk is open. But when closing and restarting cakewalk the same problem appears. 

My old projects without articulation maps are not affected, there I don't have this issue up to now

Yes I don't think they have released a fix for this issue yet since I havent heard back from Steinberg. That update you downloaded may be a different release.

On 10/31/2020 at 2:22 PM, Ervin Pegues said:

I updated and now I'm not able to record. When I start the record function I can see the wave form, but when I'm finished the wave form disappears and there is no audio. I'm a long time Cakewalk user and have never experienced this issue.. Please assist thanks

I have just experienced the same thing. I create an audio track and record a section which is fine. If I then try to append more audio I get the waveform while recording which promptly disappears when I press stop. I had this occur on two seperate tracks. I can get round the problem by duplicating the track and continuing, I then can't append audio to that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkNisbet said:

I have just experienced the same thing. I create an audio track and record a section which is fine. If I then try to append more audio I get the waveform while recording which promptly disappears when I press stop. I had this occur on two seperate tracks. I can get round the problem by duplicating the track and continuing, I then can't append audio to that one.

Does turning off the Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record option (Record tab of the Project category) correct the issue on your end as well? 

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Yes I don't think they have released a fix for this issue yet since I havent heard back from Steinberg. That update you downloaded may be a different release.

Ok, thx. I'll do some testing with different files as well

Even in EA3, the "Articulation menu" is not closed.
Since I changed the language, I will check if it appears in English.

Also, the problem that the shortcut cannot be changed.
Changed CAL to another one by renaming. The CAL before the change and the CAL after the change started randomly.
I don't understand the reason.

-------------------

Added below

Even in English, the menu does not close.
The language setting doesn't seem to matter.

Edited by Toy

14 hours ago, Sleetah2000 said:

image.png.29f634ef32322ec2112230e83ac4a131.png

Thanks to all of the bakers and testers for a most substantial release.  While Articulation is understandably sucking up a great deal of oxygen, I just wanted to focus a few comments on the VSTi instrument definitions feature as well.

Using the S-YXG50 VSTi, and a custom instrument definition, I was able to select defined patches using the patch browser.  This is a great improvement over looking up banks, patches, patchnames from a separate table document.  However, it also leaves me considering the limitations of this new feature. 

During my test, I performed the following:  With a valid channel selected, and the patch browser window open, I selected “List Patches From” to choose SYSG50 (my custom instrument definition).  The browser then displayed the available defined instruments in the window, which can be successfully auditioned only after I selected OK and closed the browser.

Q1).  Is it possible to audition patches based on where the cursor points in the patch browser, rather than requiring the user to hit OK and close the patch browser?  In other words, I would like to audition live parts by scrolling through the patch list just using the arrow keys.

Q2).  Is it possible to show the selected bankname and patchname in the console track?  I believe that this linked information currently comes directly from the VSTi internals, but perhaps it could be redirected to the output of the “List Patches From” feature whenever <default for instrument> is not the selected list?

Q3).  Once a patch has been selected using “List Patches From”, the task of changing to a second patch requires repeating the whole process from scratch.  Instead is it possible for this feature to store/remember any portion of previous selections on the same track?  (Selected instrument definition, Selected Patch).

By the way, I've attached a copy of the SYXG50 instrument definition that I created.  I couldn't find one elsewhere.

SYXG50 custom.INS 24.11 kB · 7 downloads

The ability to select a patch from an ins file for VSTi's wasn't meant to be a full-blown feature; it was added more as a convenience for users such as yourself using emulations of older hardware.

The current ins mapping relies on being mapped to a fixed MIDI port, which is fine in the case of hardware ports, but software MIDI ports come and go. The effort in making it more integrated with VSTi's is not trivial.

FWIW I'm using the standard "Yamaha XG" definition with the S-YXG50 (running using the JBridge wrapper), and auditioning patches via the patch browser is working fine for me.... as long as I have an output channel set on the track.

The only gotcha with the Yamaha XG definition is that it's bank 0 defaults to "none",  which results in no bank select being sent out. Attached is a modified version of the Yamaha XG definitions which forces a bank select 0 to be sent for those patches.

Yamaha XG - fixed bank 0.ins

• Thanks 1

First of all THANK YOU for implementing Articulation Maps, it's a huge step forward for this DAW.

Suggestions:

• F2 to rename things in Articulation Map Editor.
  • When playing back, it doesn't seem to generate the MIDI events for the current expressions at the playback cursor. I guess this is the "Chase" function.  E.g. see the attached image. It is a keyswitch articulation map. When I play at that point after stopping at the "Staccato" section, I get a staccato note, not a sustain note. I tried both "CCs" and "Note". 

image.png

37 minutes ago, Ignacio Calvo Martínez said:

First of all THANK YOU for implementing Articulation Maps, it's a huge step forward for this DAW.

Suggestions:

• F2 to rename things in Articulation Map Editor.
  • When playing back, it doesn't seem to generate the MIDI events for the current expressions at the playback cursor. I guess this is the "Chase" function.  E.g. see the attached image. It is a keyswitch articulation map. When I play at that point after stopping at the "Staccato" section, I get a staccato note, not a sustain note. I tried both "CCs" and "Note". 

image.png

Just to confirm, do you have Preferences | Project | MIDI > "MIDI Event Chase on Play" and "Include Note Events" both selected.

Also, to confirm , are you on 2020.10 build 75

Also, in your "sustain" articulation map, do you have it set to the correct MIDI channel.  If the MIDI track's MIDI channel is set then setting the articulation map's MIDI channel to "Follow" causes the articulation map's MIDI channel to follow your MIDI track's channel setting?

While the bakers are still working out some niggles, I have found with EA3 that for the events to be sent, the "transpose" needs to be ticked and the "chase mode" need to be set to "Full" or "Note". 

Unfortunately, with this EA3, setting "Chase Mode" to "full" reverts that setting to the following when the project is saved:

If an articulation map's "transpose" is ticked, the articulation map's reverts to "Note"
If an articulation map's "transpose" is unticked, the articulation map's reverts to "CC"

I have found the MIDI event get sent (and in the correct order with "transpose"  ticked and "chase mode"  set to "Note".

Edited by Promidi

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:
15 hours ago, Sleetah2000 said:

image.png.29f634ef32322ec2112230e83ac4a131.png

Thanks to all of the bakers and testers for a most substantial release.  While Articulation is understandably sucking up a great deal of oxygen, I just wanted to focus a few comments on the VSTi instrument definitions feature as well.

Using the S-YXG50 VSTi, and a custom instrument definition, I was able to select defined patches using the patch browser.  This is a great improvement over looking up banks, patches, patchnames from a separate table document.  However, it also leaves me considering the limitations of this new feature. 

During my test, I performed the following:  With a valid channel selected, and the patch browser window open, I selected “List Patches From” to choose SYSG50 (my custom instrument definition).  The browser then displayed the available defined instruments in the window, which can be successfully auditioned only after I selected OK and closed the browser.

Q1).  Is it possible to audition patches based on where the cursor points in the patch browser, rather than requiring the user to hit OK and close the patch browser?  In other words, I would like to audition live parts by scrolling through the patch list just using the arrow keys.

Q2).  Is it possible to show the selected bankname and patchname in the console track?  I believe that this linked information currently comes directly from the VSTi internals, but perhaps it could be redirected to the output of the “List Patches From” feature whenever <default for instrument> is not the selected list?

Q3).  Once a patch has been selected using “List Patches From”, the task of changing to a second patch requires repeating the whole process from scratch.  Instead is it possible for this feature to store/remember any portion of previous selections on the same track?  (Selected instrument definition, Selected Patch).

By the way, I've attached a copy of the SYXG50 instrument definition that I created.  I couldn't find one elsewhere.

SYXG50 custom.INS 24.11 kB · 7 downloads

The ability to select a patch from an ins file for VSTi's wasn't meant to be a full-blown feature; it was added more as a convenience for users such as yourself using emulations of older hardware.

The current ins mapping relies on being mapped to a fixed MIDI port, which is fine in the case of hardware ports, but software MIDI ports come and go. The effort in making it more integrated with VSTi's is not trivial.

FWIW I'm using the standard "Yamaha XG" definition with the S-YXG50 (running using the JBridge wrapper), and auditioning patches via the patch browser is working fine for me.... as long as I have an output channel set on the track.

The only gotcha with the Yamaha XG definition is that it's bank 0 defaults to "none",  which results in no bank select being sent out. Attached is a modified version of the Yamaha XG definitions which forces a bank select 0 to be sent for those patches.

Yamaha XG - fixed bank 0.ins 22.89 kB · 1 download

Mark,

My Q2 and Q3 were definitely wishlist, so I fully appreciate the considered response. 

After running the plugin through JBridge per your suggestion, the patch browser live-audition request works as desired (Q1).  For kicks, I switched it back off and it still worked.  I'm not sure whether JBridge fixed the problem, or an earlier reboot, or a rescan, but I'll keep it selected moving forward.

• Like 1

Hi,

I been using EA3 for a few days now and I do a lot of Midi work whit the articulation Map.

For the second time now I have a Crash while inserting a articulation. The sub menu keeps hanging, even when I close Cakewalk it keeps standing on my Desk page.

The only thing I can do to get it away is to reboot my PC.

Frank

sub menu.JPG

3 hours ago, Frank De Baere said:

Hi,

I been using EA3 for a few days now and I do a lot of Midi work whit the articulation Map.

For the second time now I have a Crash while inserting a articulation. The sub menu keeps hanging, even when I close Cakewalk it keeps standing on my Desk page.

The only thing I can do to get it away is to reboot my PC.

Frank

@Frank De BaereWe have a potential fix for the menus not closing themselves. Ive never seen the menus stay after the app has closed. Are you sure that the application actually shut down?  Check in task manager. Is this something you can reproduce reliably? If so we'd like you to test a build with the fix if possible.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Frank De BaereWe have a potential fix for the menus not closing themselves. Ive never seen the menus stay after the app has closed. Are you sure that the application actually shut down?  Check in task manager. Is this something you can reproduce reliably? If so we'd like you to test a build with the fix if possible.

the application continued to work, I was able to save everything and close Cakewalk, only the menu will not disappear. It just sticks to the screen, doesn't work any more and doesn't want to disappear.

I can't let it happen on command. If it happens again I will check with the task manager to see if Cakewalk is really closed.

Edited by Frank De Baere

4 minutes ago, Frank De Baere said:

the application continued to work, I was able to save everything and close Cakewalk, only the menu will not disappear. It just sticks to the screen, doesn't work any more and doesn't want to disappear.

I am in the same state.
You should see "cakewalk.exe" in Task Manager.
In my case, the "exe file" is denied access and cannot be forcibly terminated.
After all, restarting the PC is faster to recover ...

13 minutes ago, Frank De Baere said:

I can't let it happen on command. If it happens again I will check with the task manager to see if Cakewalk is really closed.

@Frank De Baere and @Toy please check your PM's

I'm relatively new with CbB and I'm very very happy with it. Thanks to the developers and the help here.

I'm just wondering if there is a or will be a way so that articulations ( in the zone above the PRV ) could be automatically added after you record a performance ? I play a midi guitar with a midi foot controller that triggers live articulations so that it sounds as authentic as possible on the first take. I think it would be very helpful to do some editing on the notes later and see the articulations that were in use.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 2