[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.10 Early Access 2

Morten Saether

[CLOSED] 2020.10 Early Access 2 (EA2) installer now available!

[UPDATE 30-Oct-2020: Cakewalk 2020.10 Early Access 3 is now available]

Our sincerest thanks to those of you who have provided feedback on Early Access 1 - your support this week has been fantastic! We've addressed all issues reported by Early Access 1 testers and found opportunities for additional refinements as well. We invite you to try out the latest updates in EA2.

Please note that Early Access installers are update installers, which only update from a specific version. To install the 2020.10 EA2 build, you must be on the latest public release of 2020.09 or 2020.10 Early Access 1. The 2020.10 EA2 build can be downloaded and installed from within Cakewalk by going to Help > Check for Updates, then clicking the Download Now link in the "Early Access Available" toast notification.

image.png

Download Cakewalk 2020.10 EA2 installer

Should you need to revert from the 2020.10 EA2 build to the public 2020.09 release, you can download the Cakewalk 2020.09 Rollback installer.

If you haven't already done so, please read about the Early Access Program before participating.

Thanks again for your participation!
The Bakers

New in Early Access 2 

Behavior Changes:

• Piano Roll view Note drawing now automatically switches direction as necessary during the gesture (left to right or right to left).
  • Open Piano Roll view when double-clicking white space on a MIDI or Instrument track.
  • The Display Muted Takes in Parent Track Track view View menu option defaults to ON (it was OFF for Early Access 1).

Articulation Maps:

• Articulation Map Editor changes:
    • Articulation Maps section has been renamed to Articulation Map Library.
    • Remove file icons to preserve horizontal space.
    • Horizontal scrollbars for list boxes and tree view to accommodate long names.
    • Tooltips for map, group and articulation list items.
    • Ability to specify the chase mode for each triggered MIDI Event.
    • Folders with empty subfolder were not shown in the Articulation Map Library section.
    • Table rows should not be selectable while "Add From MIDI" is waiting.
    • Some expression maps were being imported properly if they contained a mix of Cubase v10 and legacy entries.
    • The Import command now imports maps into the global library instead of the project, and you can import from files or folders. The logic is as follows:
      • Import From File: You are presented with an Open File dialog, followed by a Choose Destination Directory dialog (defaults to the Articulation Maps folder).
      • Import From Directory: You are presented with a Choose Source Directory dialog, followed by a Choose Destination Directory dialog (defaults to the Articulation Maps folder). The folder structure of the source directory will be replicated in the destination directory, with the destination folders containing the converted articulation maps.
  • Fixed various crashes.
  • When drag/dropping clips with articulations selected, articulations ended up in the wrong stream.
  • New Select Track Articulations with Clips option to Track view Options menu. When enabled, selecting a clip will also select any overlapping track articulations.
  • Articulation section Merge command was available when only one articulation was selected.
  • Ability to set the MIDI channel of articulation events via the articulation context menu.
  • Inconsistencies in the MIDI channel being set for triggered articulation events between normal play, chase, MIDI file export and the Apply Articulations command. The rules are as follows:
    • If the triggered event has Transpose selected. then the MIDI channel should be set to the Track's forced MIDI Channel (if set), or the MIDI channel of the Articulation Section event. 
    • If the triggered event does NOT have Transpose selected, then the MIDI channel should be what is set for the triggered event as defined within the Articulation Map Editor.

Articulation Maps.pdf

Misc:

• Localization: Resources have been updated for all supported languages (still English text).
  • Crash when loading project with Melodyne via Play List.
  • Crash when deleting Vienna Synchron.
  • Track view would steal focus back after clicking on an Arranger section.
  • Pressing F2 to rename Arranger sections does not always work.
  • Unable to edit MIDI Channel in Event List view.
  • Disallow Step Record during playback.
  • Step Record can glitch with instruments that have long tails when Auto Advance is enabled.
  • Random crashes with dead pointers when step recording.
  • Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record causes wave file creation when adding certain VST3 plug-ins.
  • Temporary files for Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record can be created in wrong folder.
  • Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record causes Synth Track audio to fail to record.
  • Add performance warning when disabling Only for Inputs in Project option in Preferences > Project - Record.

View list of updates in Early Access 1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

When I installed the first early access I got an error message at the end of the install "Out of system resources." I kind of just brushed it off since everything seemed to install correctly.  I just did this 2nd early update from inside Cakewalk.  Once again at the end of the install I got the error message.  This time I grabbed a screen shot.  I'm not sure what kind of resouce it could be complaining about, I have tons of disc space and 128GB of ram.

6eRZuD.jpg

When doing the update from inside Cakewalk it's not closing Cakewalk and brings up the dialog saying it's running.  Perhaps you should exit Cakewalk when you launch the installer?

I love the new Articulations Map function!

I am not finding a way to define an articulation in the Editor by velocity. It is mentioned in the .pdf as one of the methods alongside keyswitches,  control changes, and patch changes. However, when I go to edit an articulation Midi event "kind", the pull down does not offer Velocity as a "kind".

Many of my instruments in Kontakt (specifically CineSamples string instruments) use note velocity to vary the patches called upon for various articulations (as well as in combination with note duration, pedal, keyswitches, mod wheel changes, etc.) to get a very complex and live playing like, extended technique response in the performance. I have, of course, grown accustomed to authoring these with MIDI changes in the automation lanes and such. BUT I would love to work completely in the new Articulations pane!

Is there a way yet to map velocity to these new articulation "clips"??

And I look forward to the possibility of integrating Key Bindings to all Articulation Map functions, including to individual custom articulations (although I'll bet this would be difficult, no?)

One other thing to mention.   While the channel issue in articulation maps has been resolved, when starting playback in the middle of a "drawn" articulation map, (with MIDI note chase enabled in prefs | Project | MIDI), the notes crossing the playback start point get sent BEFORE the MIDI events associated with the articulation map do.  This results in the chased notes not playing the correct articulation as defined in the articulation map. 

Also, depending on where in the articulation maps you start playback, sometimes the chased notes do not get sent at all.

3 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

When I installed the first early access I got an error message at the end of the install "Out of system resources." I kind of just brushed it off since everything seemed to install correctly.  I just did this 2nd early update from inside Cakewalk.  Once again at the end of the install I got the error message.  This time I grabbed a screen shot.  I'm not sure what kind of resouce it could be complaining about, I have tons of disc space and 128GB of ram.

6eRZuD.jpg

When doing the update from inside Cakewalk it's not closing Cakewalk and brings up the dialog saying it's running.  Perhaps you should exit Cakewalk when you launch the installer?

We can't edit the app since the user may have unsaved changes. So it prompts from the installer. We could prompt first from the app I suppose.

1 hour ago, winkpain said:

Is there a way yet to map velocity to these new articulation "clips"??

I'm not at my computer so I don't have a printscreen for you.  On the mapping tab in CS, where you can tweak the velocities used to trigger Cinesample articulations, you can switch velocity to keyswitch, that lets you proceed with C0, D0, ... 

CS lets you eat your cake anyway you want to.

16 minutes ago, Steve Harder said:

I'm not at my computer so I don't have a printscreen for you.  On the mapping tab in CS, where you can tweak the velocities used to trigger Cinesample articulations, you can switch velocity to keyswitch, that lets you proceed with C0, D0, ... 

Yup, Steve. I do like the way CS lets you map your articulations any which way, and that is how I make it work for now (I use the cc mappings set in CS)

I do prefer the velocity mappings, however, and since velocity was mentioned in the new CbB  Articulations Map instructions as a viable method for articulations, I wondered if it really is working there at the moment.

I don't understand why the Articulation Lane closes when I edit (or even just touch) a midi note. I mentioned this in the early access 1 comments but got no reply. Is it supposed to work that way? I find it quite frustrating always having to reopen the lane.

As far as the articulation map editor is concerned I find it works very well. I created a map for my Mojo Horns in a short time and it works flawlessly. Many thanks for that.  I'm now more inclined to work with the horns again (except for the lane closing problem which would be a show stopper for me if it stays that way).

5 hours ago, scook said:

ditto

Crashed on me trying to draw CC1 in the PRV controller pane

I was not going to report it until I had a chance to reboot in about an hour.

EA1 and 2020.09 work OK.

Update:

Confirmed after reboot

Steps to reproduce, dump, animated gif and image of error msg PM'd to @Noel Borthwick and @Jonathan Sasor

I've fixed it thanks. Just some new code that was supposed to operate on notes, not checking the data type properly.
We'll post an updated build tomorrow morning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, Sailor55 said:

I don't understand why the Articulation Lane closes when I edit (or even just touch) a midi note. I mentioned this in the early access 1 comments but got no reply. Is it supposed to work that way? I find it quite frustrating always having to reopen the lane.

As far as the articulation map editor is concerned I find it works very well. I created a map for my Mojo Horns in a short time and it works flawlessly. Many thanks for that.  I'm now more inclined to work with the horns again (except for the lane closing problem which would be a show stopper for me if it stays that way).

I don't see this issue. Can you reproduce in a new project? If so please post a video or some steps. Does it make a different if you are using a workspace or not?