[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.10 Early Access 2

Morten Saether

On 10/29/2020 at 5:46 PM, Morten Saether said:

2020.10 Early Access 2 (EA2) installer now available!

Our sincerest thanks to those of you who have provided feedback on Early Access 1 - your support this week has been fantastic! We've addressed all issues reported by Early Access 1 testers and found opportunities for additional refinements as well. We invite you to try out the latest updates in EA2.

Please note that Early Access installers are update installers, which only update from a specific version. To install the 2020.10 EA2 build, you must be on the latest public release of 2020.09 or 2020.10 Early Access 1. The 2020.10 EA2 build can be downloaded and installed from within Cakewalk by going to Help > Check for Updates, then clicking the Download Now link in the "Early Access Available" toast notification.

image.png

Download Cakewalk 2020.10 EA2 installer

Should you need to revert from the 2020.10 EA2 build to the public 2020.09 release, you can download the Cakewalk 2020.09 Rollback installer.

If you haven't already done so, please read about the Early Access Program before participating.

Thanks again for your participation!
The Bakers

New in Early Access 2 

Behavior Changes:

• Piano Roll view Note drawing now automatically switches direction as necessary during the gesture (left to right or right to left).
  • Open Piano Roll view when double-clicking white space on a MIDI or Instrument track.
  • The Display Muted Takes in Parent Track Track view View menu option defaults to ON (it was OFF for Early Access 1).

Articulation Maps:

• Articulation Map Editor changes:
    • Articulation Maps section has been renamed to Articulation Map Library.
    • Remove file icons to preserve horizontal space.
    • Horizontal scrollbars for list boxes and tree view to accommodate long names.
    • Tooltips for map, group and articulation list items.
    • Ability to specify the chase mode for each triggered MIDI Event.
    • Folders with empty subfolder were not shown in the Articulation Map Library section.
    • Table rows should not be selectable while "Add From MIDI" is waiting.
    • Some expression maps were being imported properly if they contained a mix of Cubase v10 and legacy entries.
    • The Import command now imports maps into the global library instead of the project, and you can import from files or folders. The logic is as follows:
      • Import From File: You are presented with an Open File dialog, followed by a Choose Destination Directory dialog (defaults to the Articulation Maps folder).
      • Import From Directory: You are presented with a Choose Source Directory dialog, followed by a Choose Destination Directory dialog (defaults to the Articulation Maps folder). The folder structure of the source directory will be replicated in the destination directory, with the destination folders containing the converted articulation maps.
  • Fixed various crashes.
  • When drag/dropping clips with articulations selected, articulations ended up in the wrong stream.
  • New Select Track Articulations with Clips option to Track view Options menu. When enabled, selecting a clip will also select any overlapping track articulations.
  • Articulation section Merge command was available when only one articulation was selected.
  • Ability to set the MIDI channel of articulation events via the articulation context menu.
  • Inconsistencies in the MIDI channel being set for triggered articulation events between normal play, chase, MIDI file export and the Apply Articulations command. The rules are as follows:
    • If the triggered event has Transpose selected. then the MIDI channel should be set to the Track's forced MIDI Channel (if set), or the MIDI channel of the Articulation Section event. 
    • If the triggered event does NOT have Transpose selected, then the MIDI channel should be what is set for the triggered event as defined within the Articulation Map Editor.

Articulation Maps.pdf 751.43 kB · 38 downloads

Misc:

• Localization: Resources have been updated for all supported languages (still English text).
  • Crash when loading project with Melodyne via Play List.
  • Crash when deleting Vienna Synchron.
  • Track view would steal focus back after clicking on an Arranger section.
  • Pressing F2 to rename Arranger sections does not always work.
  • Unable to edit MIDI Channel in Event List view.
  • Disallow Step Record during playback.
  • Step Record can glitch with instruments that have long tails when Auto Advance is enabled.
  • Random crashes with dead pointers when step recording.
  • Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record causes wave file creation when adding certain VST3 plug-ins.
  • Temporary files for Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record can be created in wrong folder.
  • Allow Arm Changes During Playback/Record causes Synth Track audio to fail to record.
  • Add performance warning when disabling Only for Inputs in Project option in Preferences > Project - Record.

View list of updates in Early Access 1

MPC Beats

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Winstonhulley88

This is a plug-in crash so it would be something to report to the plugin vendor to fix. It looks like they are missing a pointer check in their code somewhere. The panic code sends a reset controllers sequence to the VST instruments. Perhaps this plugin is crashing on one of the CC resets.

Unhandled exception at 0x000007FEB546B478 (Blade2.dll) in blade 2 test_10282020_183756.DMP: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000008.

This is the plugin info. If its a beta plugin you should obtain an updated version or contact the vendor about the crash and give them the same dump file.

Blade2.dll    *c:\beta test vst 64\Rob Papen\Blade2\Blade2.dll    1.00.0.0    10/26/2020 6:30 AM    blade 2 test_10282020_183756.DMP        

EDIT: I just installed the trial version of Blade 2 and I don't get any crash when I press the panic button. So it may be specific to your project or the way you are using it. I suggest contacting the vendor. 

Thank you Noel I will send that also to them with your reply, I do beta testing as well for several companies.. so I will send a detailed report to them. Thank you for your speedy reply.. maybe I must also reset Cakewalk and reinstall it perhaps that would help.. what is your recommended settings in the preferences setting?

12 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I don't see this issue. Can you reproduce in a new project? If so please post a video or some steps. Does it make a different if you are using a workspace or not?

It's worse that just closing the Articulation Lane. It also shifts down the midi note I 'touch' from a D5 to an F4. The workspace is set none.

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Shreddage 2 relies on velocity switches for Sustain/Palm Mute/Pinch (pitch squeal):

image.png.58112cd5f972ffe816ae887a00f617cd.png

In other words:
0 - 59 = Palm Mute
60 - 126 = Sustain
127 = Pinch

This is how I've set up my articulations:
image.thumb.png.edc5951d3c2b09edc16a84cbe8ccf17d.png

image.png.f3c6e92889d9eebbd7c78fc64d356d11.png

image.png.beeda8b8ed1134af35146668d2a234ec.png

Shreddage 2.artmap 4.01 kB · 2 downloads

Ah! So I would use "MIDI Transforms" section, and not the "Events" section,  over the full range of Notes (0-127), in order to apply to any note played,  with the limited range of Velocity for the desired articulation, yes?

I will give this a try. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Winstonhulley88 said:

Thank you Noel I will send that also to them with your reply, I do beta testing as well for several companies.. so I will send a detailed report to them. Thank you for your speedy reply.. maybe I must also reset Cakewalk and reinstall it perhaps that would help.. what is your recommended settings in the preferences setting?

This isn't an install related issue. It may be project specific. Since you are in touch with the company you can tell them that they can contact me if they need clarifications or assistance with anything.

4 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

That is something you should take up with Waves support. They should be able to help you with this. Many issues with waves 12 are due to prior versions being installed at the same time which they do not support.

I was told by Cakewalk support on Sunday that this is a Cakewalk problem and they are working on a fix.  My Waves setup works fine in Studio One 4.6.2, but always crashes Cakewalk when opening a project created before V12 was installed.

The Blade2 crash happens for me on an empty project, if you add it and press the panic it crashes.  Not sure why it wouldn't crash with the demo version, but it sure does with the full version.  Out of all the synths in Rob Papen's Explorer 6: Blade, Blade2, Punch, Punch-BD, Punch-BD Multi, Punch2, Punch2 Multi, PunchMulti all crash.  But none of the other synths just Blade and Punch.   Not sure if this happened in previous Cakewalk versions though, it may not be new to the early release.

OK... This is still a new issue. Both EA1 and EA2 are the same in this.

If I have all lanes and Envelope lanes closed and via the edit filter select volume, The wav images (parent track) disappear. This should not happen... Should it?

4 hours ago, Sailor55 said:

It's worse that just closing the Articulation Lane. It also shifts down the midi note I 'touch' from a D5 to an F4. The workspace is set none.

@Sailor55 Does this happen with all projects, or just a specific project? As Noel requested, please send us the project file so we can investigate.

I wonder if this has anything to do with tack focus. Can you open the PRV Track pane (press H or go to View > Show/Hide Track Pane). Does it make a difference if Auto Focus is enabled or disabled? If you have View > Only Show Articulations for Active Track enabled, see if it make a difference when disabled.

2 hours ago, shawker said:

I was told by Cakewalk support on Sunday that this is a Cakewalk problem and they are working on a fix.  My Waves setup works fine in Studio One 4.6.2, but always crashes Cakewalk when opening a project created before V12 was installed.

There may be a misunderstanding. We investigated all Waves issues reported to us and they were are all crashes within the Waves plugins. I have passed on this information directly to Waves and they are actively investigating it. 
Please read this article on plugin compatibility.  Just because a plugin doesn't crash in one DAW doesn't mean very much.

• Morten Saether changed the title to [CLOSED] 2020.10 Early Access 2
On 10/30/2020 at 8:57 PM, Matthew Sorrels said:

The Blade2 crash happens for me on an empty project, if you add it and press the panic it crashes.  Not sure why it wouldn't crash with the demo version, but it sure does with the full version.  Out of all the synths in Rob Papen's Explorer 6: Blade, Blade2, Punch, Punch-BD, Punch-BD Multi, Punch2, Punch2 Multi, PunchMulti all crash.  But none of the other synths just Blade and Punch.   Not sure if this happened in previous Cakewalk versions though, it may not be new to the early release.

Ok Good news is that this fixed  and tested in the Update for Blade2, the developer informed me that he will carry this fix to the other mentioned Rp Plug ins soon!! Thank you Noel of Cakewalk and Jon Ayers of Rob Papen for a quick response and fix!!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Winstonhulley88 said:

Ok Good news is that this fixed  and tested in the Update for Blade2, the developer informed me that he will carry this fix to the other mentioned Rp Plug ins soon!! Thank you Noel of Cakewalk and Jon Ayers of Rob Papen for a quick response and fix!!

@Winstonhulley88 that's great news. In most cases problems with compatibility can be rapidly resolved if you contact the right right party with a solid recipe. Thanks for following through and reporting back.

• Like 1

Crash just started happening after update.  Not sure if it is related to update or not.

Had to do a manual Dump file.

Song - 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ziZeDMF79PJXBIhBCgTWQPEoyFC4xl0x/view?usp=sharing

Dump - 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PNmRaNZpVCzHQVKFLmuZMHq6OU0wInXH/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

(Also - Waves 12 still not working - Contacted waves twice.  Going to try again tomorrow)

1 hour ago, Max Arwood said:

Crash just started happening after update.  Not sure if it is related to update or not.

Had to do a manual Dump file.

Song - 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ziZeDMF79PJXBIhBCgTWQPEoyFC4xl0x/view?usp=sharing

Dump - 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PNmRaNZpVCzHQVKFLmuZMHq6OU0wInXH/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

(Also - Waves 12 still not working - Contacted waves twice.  Going to try again tomorrow)

You are better off sending this as a normal support ticket now that the update has been publicly released.

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000025633

• Thanks 1