Jump to content
Fret Flintstone

Amplitube 5 is here - Release Date 15/12/20 or 16/12/20

Recommended Posts

I don't know if that has been asked before. Can AT4 presets I made myself be imported in some way into AT5?

Edit: I just tried copying my presets from '...\Documents\IK Multimedia\AmpliTube 4' to '...\Documents\IK Multimedia\AmpliTube 5' and it worked! It seems AT5 can read AT4 presets. Cool!

Edited by Jacques Boileau

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, another 'technical' question. If I'll be using AT5 CS for a while and somewhere in the future I'll upgrade to the full version (or SE, Max) the sounds used in my projects will change from that point? I guess that was already answered in this thread but just want to make sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been alluded to in other posts, but I thought I would ask now that some of you have had time to try out AT5

QUESTION:   How does AT5 compare to Neural DSP (Plini, Abasi, Fortin) or Scuffham S-Gear?  I primarily use these and am very happy but I still use AT4 (Fender collections and SWR Bass).  Is AT5 up to the same "realism" that S-Gear or Neural DSP provide?

[I might upgrade AT4 to AT5SE but only if AT5 is close to Neural]

Thanks

C2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wooaa! I just tried the Tiny Terror preset that I had made in AT4 and imported in AT5. It just sounds amazing. Actually, very different  than what it sounded like in AT4. Like I was trying the same amp simulation from a totally different company, not from two different version of the same company's software! And that is only using AT5 CS, so not even adding VIR into the equation!

I can't compare with a real Tiny Terror since I don't have one. But it kind of felt strange to have such difference from the same company's emulation!?!?! So, if you have done recordings using AT4, I suggest you keep AT4 around so your sounds don't change on  you.

But, if you are asking yourselves which I like best? AT5's rendition is even better for me, just couldn't stop playing, but took a break to write this. And there are a ton of other reasons to like AT5 over AT4! There is no going back now! I always had difficulty setting gain staging in AT4. It is so much better in AT5. It seems things fall into place by themselves! I just set my interface's input level correctly and they are just right in AT5. In AT4 they would always be too low.

Since I am not of the pre-order kind of guy, I now have to decide which version to get. Hard to decide and may take me a little while still. For sure CS will not cut it for me. I am tempted by AT5 Max, but at my age I probably do not have enough lifetime left in me to try/use all that is included! 😱 Life is so short! 😆 But I do want the Rockman if only to reminisce having one when it came out! And of course, play Def Leppard's Hysteria on one of the clean channel, which they did on the recording!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations to the team and hope everyone can get a well-deserved end-of-the-year break!

re Cecelius2: comparisons vs. Neural and S-Gear, need more time with all products but very early impressions are for certain core amp sounds I give a slight edge to the Archetype plugins - I purchased the set at black friday - and maybe even S-Gear. However those sounds are hosted across a few plugins. AT5 (even 4) sounds quite good and is certainly ahead in range and flexibility... and that's all before talking about effects and routing. AT5 will likely replace AT4 in my DAW template for default guitar tracks, and will often stay there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LAGinz said:

Hey Peter, Any projection on when an updated CS AT5 will be coming out? Before year’s end?

What updates are you looking for?  AmpliTube 5 CS was released with AmpliTube 5 on the 16th.

2 hours ago, Paul Young said:

Looks like you have to buy additional gear even if you have those signature packs from previous versions of AT.   I think I'll stick with AT4 for awhile.'

Anyone have issue with AT5 in Cubase?  It totally crash my system.

You should not have to purchase additional gear for collections that you have.  Please let the team know what you're having an issue with (and please do a Restore Purchases in the Custom Shop application first to see if that helps) and I'm sure they'll be able to figure it out.

1 hour ago, Jacques Boileau said:

Yep, worked for me after a restore purchases. Great! Thanks Peter!

Great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

What updates are you looking for?  AmpliTube 5 CS was released with AmpliTube 5 on the 16th.

You should not have to purchase additional gear for collections that you have.  Please let the team know what you're having an issue with (and please do a Restore Purchases in the Custom Shop application first to see if that helps) and I'm sure they'll be able to figure it out.

Great!

I'm guessing the update that will have the resolution fix.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I'm guessing the update that will have the resolution fix.  

CS was specified so I was thinking it was something more specific to it bu that could be it.  They are testing an update that has multiple fixes but I don't have a specific time that will be released but it will be released as soon as possible.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

The Tiny Terror should appear for all now.  You may need to Restore Purchases though.

CS has 16 IR per speaker, using the same tech there as AT4.  So the default would be the AT4 cabinets but you will still have sonic differences since AmpliTube 5 is a complete rewrite including the engine.  Plus the legacy amps are redone, etc.

Thks for the precisions , are the big impulses number in Se version and up makes a differences in cpu ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

What updates are you looking for?  AmpliTube 5 CS was released with AmpliTube 5 on the 16th.

You should not have to purchase additional gear for collections that you have.  Please let the team know what you're having an issue with (and please do a Restore Purchases in the Custom Shop application first to see if that helps) and I'm sure they'll be able to figure it out.

Great!

Oops they are located in the legacy presets. All is fine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tiny Terror is still locked in AT5 for me - I did a "Restore Purchases" in the CS (both the old and new ones).

In the new CS it appears with a green check, but still locked in AT5

 

Edit: Magically started working - never mind...

 

Edited by Dave Schreier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cecelius2 said:

QUESTION:   How does AT5 compare to Neural DSP (Plini, Abasi, Fortin) or Scuffham S-Gear?  I primarily use these and am very happy but I still use AT4 (Fender collections and SWR Bass).  Is AT5 up to the same "realism" that S-Gear or Neural DSP provide?

[I might upgrade AT4 to AT5SE but only if AT5 is close to Neural]

I play mainly clean/crunch. I have/use/love S-Gear, Plini, and was using AT 4 primarily for the Fender collections, so maybe this is useful to you.

If by 'realism' you mean playing feel, yeah, it's better than AT 4 (and closer to S-Gear and Neural DSP), due to the much improved cabinet section and optimizations (this will 'feel' like a big improvement especially if you were not using AT 4 with third party IR's so far).

The 'realism' in Neural DSP's plugins, beyond responsiveness, is centered on their approach in modeling the entire signal chain. It sacrifices quite a bit of transparency to give you more 'production ready' sounds. In this category, nothing touches Neural DSP, including AT 5. In terms of classic, pure clean/crunch tones, the part of AT 5 that I like (both older and new amps) is, for me, a nice complement to S-Gear. 

This is all highly subjective though; demo it, it's the only way to know. If you are hardly using AT 4 and like S-Gear and a Neural DSP a lot more, AT 5 might not change your mind. But if you do like and use the Fender collections (like I did), you'll probably upgrade at least to AT 5 SE eventually. You could demo the new amps in AT 5 in the custom shop, to see if it's worth going for the full AT 5. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I have had a few hours with AT5. Sounds damn good. Really good. A/B'd alongside AT4 and really no comparison. 

But I can tell you this much for sure: It's not ready to be released. I am finding bugs in the standalone program that I feel like I am part of the "Early Release" testers. 

Sounds really good and when they get all this stuff ironed out it will be a go-to app for sure. But as of now, I can't use it as a practice replacement for AT4 yet. It's just too buggy.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fitzroy said:

I play mainly clean/crunch. I have/use/love S-Gear, Plini, and was using AT 4 primarily for the Fender collections, so maybe this is useful to you.

If by 'realism' you mean playing feel, yeah, it's better than AT 4 (and closer to S-Gear and Neural DSP), due to the much improved cabinet section and optimizations (this will 'feel' like a big improvement especially if you were not using AT 4 with third party IR's so far).

The 'realism' in Neural DSP's plugins, beyond responsiveness, is centered on their approach in modeling the entire signal chain. It sacrifices quite a bit of transparency to give you more 'production ready' sounds. In this category, nothing touches Neural DSP, including AT 5. In terms of classic, pure clean/crunch tones, the part of AT 5 that I like (both older and new amps) is, for me, a nice complement to S-Gear. 

This is all highly subjective though; demo it, it's the only way to know. If you are hardly using AT 4 and like S-Gear and a Neural DSP a lot more, AT 5 might not change your mind. But if you do like and use the Fender collections (like I did), you'll probably upgrade at least to AT 5 SE eventually. You could demo the new amps in AT 5 in the custom shop, to see if it's worth going for the full AT 5. 

Thanks.  This is very helpful information.  I do like and use the Fender collections and use mostly clean and clean boast overdriven sounds.  I have installed AT5CS but it does not have the VIR cabinet enhancements; so it is hard to hear any cabinet changes. 

I am leaning toward getting AT5SE and your post has helped.

Thanks

C2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Grem said:

Ok I have had a few hours with AT5. Sounds damn good. Really good. A/B'd alongside AT4 and really no comparison. 

But I can tell you this much for sure: It's not ready to be released. I am finding bugs in the standalone program that I feel like I am part of the "Early Release" testers. 

Sounds really good and when they get all this stuff ironed out it will be a go-to app for sure. But as of now, I can't use it as a practice replacement for AT4 yet. It's just too buggy.

Are you experiencing those bug in vst also ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Zo said:

Are you experiencing those bug in vst also ? 

Some, yes. I am having different results with the VST version over the stand alone app. Both have bugs. Example, on my Surface Pro I am experiencing ASIO troubles with the stand alone. I can get it to work (like Larry mentioned in one post) but I got to fiddle with the inputs!? Weird. And there is no set way that I found that works. So last night at work I was trying to play AT5, then switched to AT4. Then when I would switch back after that (IOW restart AT5) I had to fiddle and fiddle with sound settings. I got tired of having to fiddle with the sound settings to get it to work and just quit messing with it. Real shame because it does sound so damn good!!

 

With the VTS 3 on my Surface I can't even get it to work with Cakewalk. Crashes every time. Haven't tried the VST 2 version yet. I will tonight.

 

On my main music PC it works in Cakewalk in ASIO. UAD drivers. But I am finding lots of little bugs. Like putting the Pultec clone in the rack has lot of distortion. That's ain't working right. Also the 610 comp's VU meter ain't working. And if the comp is working, I can't tell. Hardly makes a difference if the Threshold is turned all the way to the right or left.

 

There are other things, these are off the top of my head. When I am trying AT5 out I am wanting to play, not log bugs. : )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, fitzroy said:

I play mainly clean/crunch. I have/use/love S-Gear, Plini, and was using AT 4 primarily for the Fender collections, so maybe this is useful to you.

If by 'realism' you mean playing feel, yeah, it's better than AT 4 (and closer to S-Gear and Neural DSP), due to the much improved cabinet section and optimizations (this will 'feel' like a big improvement especially if you were not using AT 4 with third party IR's so far).

The 'realism' in Neural DSP's plugins, beyond responsiveness, is centered on their approach in modeling the entire signal chain. It sacrifices quite a bit of transparency to give you more 'production ready' sounds. In this category, nothing touches Neural DSP, including AT 5. In terms of classic, pure clean/crunch tones, the part of AT 5 that I like (both older and new amps) is, for me, a nice complement to S-Gear. 

This is all highly subjective though; demo it, it's the only way to know. If you are hardly using AT 4 and like S-Gear and a Neural DSP a lot more, AT 5 might not change your mind. But if you do like and use the Fender collections (like I did), you'll probably upgrade at least to AT 5 SE eventually. You could demo the new amps in AT 5 in the custom shop, to see if it's worth going for the full AT 5. 

I'll add my  cents. I also use mostly clean and crunch tones. I use Neural Cory and now AT 5. I agree with the above. I don't think one can compare the two. They two are just very different products. Can't comment on S-gear as I don't own and use it -- just demoed it once. What I like about the AT 5 is the ability to micro manage and shape that tone beyond just eq and rudimentary mic placement. The VIR really does make a big difference and changes the game now.

As far as realism goes, neither is really real like a real amp. That's why I picked up the Z-tone DI. What I am doing now is feeding one output into the DAW and another output into a small amp in the studio so I can get a better feel for what I am playing.

FWIW.. A little JC-22 will probably blow away both sims. You just can't really use it live. A drummer and bass will wash you out. But good for playing at home.

https://www.roland.com/CA/promos/jc_40_years/

In case anyone curious about clean tones of AT 5. I just dumped a comparison of a working track on my souncloud that uses a lapteel. The track uses a preset from AT 4 which uses a Fender Super Reverb and Fulltone echo. The preset was imported straight into AT 5. No tweaks to it. Mix 1 is the track as it was originally created with AT 4.  Mix 2 is the same track using the AT 5 engine. No tweaks.

 

Edited by telecode 101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, telecode 101 said:

I'll add my  cents. I also use mostly clean and crunch tones. I use Neural Cory and now AT 5. I agree with the above. I don't think one can compare the two. They two are just very different products. Can't comment on S-gear as I don't own and use it -- just demoed it once. What I like about the AT 5 is the ability to micro manage and shape that tone beyond just eq and rudimentary mic placement. The VIR really does make a big difference and changes the game now.

As far as realism goes, neither is really real like a real amp. That's why I picked up the Z-tone DI. What I am doing now is feeding one output into the DAW and another output into a small amp in the studio so I can get a better feel for what I am playing.

 

FWIW.. A little JC-22 will probably blow away both sims. You just can't really use it live. A drummer and bass will wash you out. But good for playing at home.

https://www.roland.com/CA/promos/jc_40_years/

Personnaly , i will  label Neural healthly limitation versus AT witch can be for a new cat too much lol but imho AT is the king of all when it come to create album ready tones and as a playground , even with AT 4 it used to be there from production to mix end , when i need simple sounds it's neural dsp / stl / nembrini

Edited by Zo
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Zo said:

Personnaly , i will  label Neural healthly limitation versus AT witch can be for a new cat too much lol but imho AT is the king of all when it come to create album ready tones and as a playground , even with AT 4 it used to be there from production to mix end , when i need simple sounds it's neural dsp / stl / nembrini

Yeah. I agree. Neural is more limited than AT 5. But the tones are truly original and unique. Not something you can easily re-create in AT.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...