Amplitube 5 is here - Release Date 15/12/20 or 16/12/20

Fret Flintstone

Great feedback here , i tested uad fender and it has a great depth and punch ,if my collection sounds kinda like this in a5 , i m for it and if i need it like back then i will use at 4 likely ..

guyz please : perfomance ? Smooth ? Cpu hit ? Verus at 4 cpu ...

I'd make sure you're running the proper full feature set, with VIR™ and all working properly because AmpliTube 5 is most definitely different than AmpliTube 4 sound-wise.  An example of someone who did a great A/B with their own projects (from VI-Control) below for this perspective but from a user:

A brief (as in - trading out amps in 2 sessions and having an hour-long chug through some amps) review would be: Yep, this is very much the real deal.

The changes to the cab section are, for me, monumental. On a track last week I tracked a bunch of Dual Rectifiers and Marshalls, using a combination of Amplitube 4 and Helix Native to keep that high-end hiss from building up from multiple Amplitube 4 amps Double and Triple tracked, so I tried swapping them all out for AT5 versions, and - Yeah - very pleasantly surprised. The first thing you notice is that the 'brightness hissyness' that's sort of been a part of the Amplitube 4 sound for ages is far less problematic. Largely gone are the 'white noise filtered in a few Q-bands' sounds of some combinations of amps. AT is still one of the brighter amp modelers, but there were far fewer moments of needing to aggressively EQ to keep hiss or fizz at bay.

A brief guitar-in-hand playthrough was very rewarding. I hadn't touched a Fender volume 1 amp since getting Helix Native, since the AT4 versions were always glassy to a fault - brittle and grating when driven. In AT5, those Blackface amps are far more usable in a far wider gain range - I'm guessing this is mostly better amp-speaker interaction and speaker modeling, but it's clearly better.

Some fun surprises: the very very old models are actually, now, very good. The old Brit Tube Leads, JH Gold, the S100 - all eclipsed by the AT4 British models - are, in AT5, usable options. No more asking the Red Pig to stretch to every "Classic Marshall" tone. Good stuff.

In terms of VIR delivering on what it promises: Yeah, it's pretty game-changing for me, if that isn't too far a stretch for a day one response. It's the first modeler with a real sense of mic-ing another speaker in the cab being a meaningful experience, and it's immediately obvious how it's useful. Those vintage greenbacks focusing too much on the high-mids? Pivot the condenser mic from the top-right to bottom-right or left speaker, catching as much floor resonance as you want. It's - from an hour of tweaking and turning knobs - actually revolutionary. I put a bunch of Ownhammer IR's into the loader, figuring that that'd be what I'd use to check out the new amps, and after A/B'ing once to see if I was way off, didn't bother trying them again in that session. VIR is that cool.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

I'd make sure you're running the proper full feature set, with VIR™ and all working properly because AmpliTube 5 is most definitely different than AmpliTube 4 sound-wise.  An example of someone who did a great A/B with their own projects (from VI-Control) below for this perspective but from a user:

There is a HUGE-GIGANTIC-ENORMOUS difference IMO.  A4 was "meh" to me...
THIS, on the other hand, is INDEED a leap forward IMO.  

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Zo said:

guyz please : perfomance ? Smooth ? Cpu hit ? Verus at 4 cpu ...

For me, in Reaper, 1-1.5% A4, 2-3% A5. Not a big deal. 

6 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Awesome!! 😀 It goes to show how different we all are. 

I like the VIR stuff and I only scratched the surface with it, obviously. More to the inevitable differences between us, while I do find some (most?) amps in Amplitube 'meh', I really like a few, especially the Fenders. Then a few amps from the Orange and Leslie collections. With some nice IR's, they can sound great. In time, I'll compare *that* sound with the same presets tweaked in A5 with VIR, and if the latter option holds up, it would be great -> faster/simpler workflow. I guess if you start off by liking the old stuff, there's less room/opportunity for a big leap forward; that's why I'm ok with it and don't regret the purchase. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fitzroy said:

Same here, my Amplitube 4 Fender presets definitely sound punchier in Amplitube 5. I tweaked the FX/amps, VIR and/or IR's, and I got closer to what they sounded before, which is to say I also preferred them in Amplitube 4. You can 'get them back', it just takes a bit of fiddling around.

I am still on the fence on what AT 5 is. There might be a psychological thing happening still where  I am much more attached to the interface and tones of AT 4 just because I have been using them for so long. AT 5 sounds very very different. Much more metal and trendy emo rockish to my ears. For the type of music I do, I am not sure if its a step forward yet. Still have to spend more time with AT 5. I also ran into some really weird workflow issues this morning with SE. Will try to re-install it in  case it's half crippled due to the authorization issues IKM the had this morning.

7 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

I am still on the fence on what AT 5 is. There might be a psychological thing happening still where  I am much more attached to the interface and tones of AT 4 just because I have been using them for so long. AT 5 sounds very very different. Much more metal and trendy emo rockish to my ears. For the type of music I do, I am not sure if its a step forward yet. Still have to spend more time with AT 5. I also ran into some really weird workflow issues this morning with SE. Will try to re-install it in  case it's half crippled due to the authorization issues IKM the had this morning.

Yeah, it's definitely psychological on some level. My first impulse was negative, especially when I loaded some of my A4 presets into A5. I had a similar experience with Arturia's Analog Lab 4 vs 5, where I quickly felt I missed the v4 interface. After the first 10 minutes with Amplitube 5, I loaded Amplitube 4 and browsed the collections, hoping that since I now own A5 Max, they'd all miraculously be activated in Amplitube 4, too 😄 It's not easy to switch from things you're used to. 

• Like 1

Some initial hobbyist reactions:

• Workflow requires a ton of clicks but in a different way than AT4.  There are so many options, but I'm getting used to looking for parts of the tone puzzle as I play.
  • I hear the sonic changes, no question.  I also sense more responsiveness in high gain amps and a smoother pick response.  It's not Neural, but it's not AT4, either.
  • I didn't play with AT4 very much but I definitely don't mind the stock IK amp options in AT5 at all. 
  • I love the TRackS reverbs and compressors in place; there's a ton more choice now, and good ones at that.
  • New amps sound GREAT which is mainly why I went for AT5 over SE; nice variety of high gain and again, more responsiveness than I had anticipated.
  • Slow UI and preset loading.
  • What the he** were they thinking with the tiny print on the rack gear???  EQ-81 is like your worst eye exam, ever.
  • Similar CPU load to AT4 Studio One 4.6: @9-10%  Is that a lot higher than other S1 users?  (i7 4770, 32Gb RAM)
  • Routing is simple and easy to understand; FX loop is excellent graphical addition.

Still early so much more to learn.

I'm a bit of a THU fanboi and will remain so, mostly for the variety/difference of options and low CPU usage compared to just about anything but sonically speaking, I can see myself using AT5 more often, at least for printing.  It is that good, and I've not spent that much time with it.  Pleasantly surprised and probably spending way too much time tweaking, but this interface makes it interesting and fun to try new options.  Just the VIR option creates a ton of sonic variety. 

This was totally worth the wait and breathes new life into a platform I had little interest in using. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:
  • Similar CPU load to AT4 Studio One 4.6: @9-10%  Is that a lot higher than other S1 users?  (i7 4770, 32Gb RAM)

I only use Studio One Pro, I'm on 5.1.1, same CPU i7 4790 @ 3.6GHz and 32GB RAM on the machine I am using to test run AT5, single amp around 7-9%, double amp 10-11%, but AT4 for me was single amp 3-4%, don't really use double amp often. Only had a quick blast, only woke up and installed a little while ago, looking forward to getting into it more.

So far I think it is a good step up from AT4, well worth the money and the wait. Only New amp I have tried so far is the MiniPlex 20, love it, might be a while before I get to the others 😲

Edited by Fret Flintstone
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cclarry said:

Larry, just for a sake  of curiosity, did you play with changing speakers in cabs in AT4?

Some defaults were also for me meh, and some cabs sounded terrible but exchanging them changed a lot.

On the other hand some defaults were in my favorite to-go :)

5 hours ago, John K said:

Same problem here Brian

Win 10 i5 machine. Standalone crashes. Vst and vst3 crash both Bandlab and Reaper 6.  Tried uninstalling, reinstalling, reactivating. Too much time wasted.

Guess it must be nice otherwise. Deleting and sticking with Bias FX 2.

John

Are you on a laptop?   If you plugin an external monitor and run at 1920x1080 resoltuion it might work.

It seems like they have a design flaw that won't let it run on a 1366x768 resolution monitor which is standard for any business class Lenovo Laptop made in the preivous 10 years.

I downloaded and installed the old way (without the Manager) no problems (download from account under previous releases), authorized from within the Manager, no problems, Restore Purchases and bobs your uncle, maybe copying some presets over that you might want, pretty easy all up.

Edited by Fret Flintstone
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

It seems like they have a design flaw that won't let it run on a 1366x768 resolution monitor which is standard for any business class Lenovo Laptop made in the preivous 10 years.

That would disqualify my Dell laptop also :( 

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

Are you on a laptop?   If you plugin an external monitor and run at 1920x1080 resoltuion it might work.

That's so sad it's almost funny.  I changed my monitor to 1366x768 and sure enough the standalone AmpliTube 5 crashes on startup.

Hm, while plugin is working for me, standalone app has an issue with input/output setup (RME ASIO).

Seems it is messing up something with input/output names/numbers... To be able to hear a sound I needed to select very strange combination.

Analog 2 (1) + Analog 4 (1).  3+4 or 4+4 were not working.... 

In AT4 only 4+4 is working what makes a sense as guitar is plugged into input number 4.

What is even worse after playing a little with AT4 and trying different combination to compare against AT5 behavior I was not unable to find any working combination in AT5 anymore during setup...  Quick back to AT4 to check and it is still working solid as rock...

But if set without any positive visual feedback on meters and confirming it it started to play...

Seems standalone not in gold yet. Hope IK will fix it soon

And still lacking count-in for AT recorder is a kind of a lame :(

Brian,

Thanks for the feedback. Will try different resolutions and have a feeling that it might be video related.

Installed on a second laptop computer but same result with a barrage of new error messages telling me everything is screwed up. Standalone crashes itself. Vst and vst3 crashes Reaper and Bandlab.

Think they sent this one out of the barn too quick.

IK forum has a lot of similar issues reported so hope they are on a fix. For now, glad I didn't buy the thing yet. Sorta envy those that can get some part of the program working.

John

17 minutes ago, John K said:

Brian,

Thanks for the feedback. Will try different resolutions and have a feeling that it might be video related.

Installed on a second laptop computer but same result with a barrage of new error messages telling me everything is screwed up. Standalone crashes itself. Vst and vst3 crashes Reaper and Bandlab.

Think they sent this one out of the barn too quick.

IK forum has a lot of similar issues reported so hope they are on a fix. For now, glad I didn't buy the thing yet. Sorta envy those that can get some part of the program working.

John

It seems you will need to set it to a higher resolution.  

It solved that problem but that means I can't use it when I'm mobile, which in a big part is kind of the point.  I have other solutions to record guitar when I'm at a full blown setup.  

Missing amp problem still persists for me though, and hopefully they address the resolution issue as it makes us all look like first round beta testers with such a glaring oversight.   

It does sound better than other in the box amp sims I've tried.  Have yet to find anything that is actually inspiring to play on the feel front.  

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1