Amplitube 5 is here - Release Date 15/12/20 or 16/12/20

Fret Flintstone

On 10/30/2020 at 3:00 PM, Grem said:

Da King is correct on that. No one seems to be able to answer that question clearly.

CS will have limitations, similar to AmpliTube 4 CS.  Of course it isn't going to have the full VIR™ 600+ IRs per cabinet functionality but will have a more "click and drag" functionality like AT4 CS does and use far fewer IRs per cabinet.  It will however have resizing.  Learned the lesson with T-RackS 5 on that, I made sure that was known to be one of the hills people would die on with regard to CS functionality.  It will load your existing gear, but you can see how there will be a sonic difference since you don't get one of the big parts of the AmpliTube 5 feature set with the limitation of no VIR™ 600+ IRs per cabinet and the AT4 CS-like "click and drag" cab interface.

On 10/30/2020 at 4:25 PM, Fleer said:

I hope that our insistence will convince IK to be as generous as they possibly can with regard to the new features in AT5 CS. Such generosity will make us AT4 users think fondly of the guys in Modena. 

Edith: as for Peter, we’ll love him no matter what. 

See above, and I have already been surprised by the CS limitation details not being on the web site since I had expected them today.  Will have to find out what happened tomorrow AM.

On 10/30/2020 at 8:53 PM, Fret Flintstone said:

Thank you Peter, I'll be doing the upgrade to AT5, AT5 MAX doesn't get me anything extra as I own everything released for Amplitube prior to today, which will work out to be $105 give or take with Jam Points, that's fairly reasonable to me, probably more than fairly reasonable considering what I spend on single Amp Amp Sims that I never use, and here I'm getting 5 new Amps not to mention the rest of the stuff, and in a package I get a lot of use out of.

lol, well I hope so, that wait nearly drove me crazy, and although I promised myself I wouldn't, I just Pre-Ordered AT5🤪, now I just got to try and put it out of my mind until release day.

I'm glad that works out for you!  I think you'll be satisfied, it's quite a jump from AmpliTube 4 to my ears.

On 10/31/2020 at 5:37 AM, Sander Verstraten said:

Or in the EU: 105 Euro + 17% VAT, which so expensive, there is zero reason to buy from the IK store.

I apologize that we have to charge tax.  We prefer to stay in business by following the laws whether I (or most of us) agree with them or not :)

On 10/31/2020 at 8:29 AM, CoveCamper said:

Jesus,  just go subscription.

We've received negative reception with regard to AmpliTube subscription so far, so I'm glad that I'm pretty sure you're joking ;)

On 10/31/2020 at 11:31 AM, Grem said:

I don't think this is accurate. I believe that if what your saying is correct, then they would be selling different versions of the collections, depending on which version of AT your getting it for. And that doesn't make sense!

A new buyer will buy AT5. Likes it and wants the JH Collection. Do you really think that the JH collection will not allow him to have the 'new and improved' VIR technology? Come on, think about this for a minute.

It has already been said that anything you already own will run on the new engine, Even the SE version!

[edit]

And anything you will buy will run on the new engine.

CS will have the limitation in the VIR™/cab section as stated above.  AmpliTube 5 SE and higher will not.

On 10/31/2020 at 2:15 PM, Grem said:

Yes. 

The only alternative is like you say, is to include NEW WAV files for all existing cabs.

And that may not be out of the realm of possibilities.

See above.  Cabinets were all remeasured with a few sad exceptions.  I don't even want to think about this, but there was a flood in Italy that did irreversible damage to some of the cabinets from AT Metal which is why you don't see them on the gear lists on the AmpliTube 5 page so those unfortunately were not remeasured.  We are looking to find exact replacements, though, which is very challenging in some cases.  However, the free CS version will not take advantage of this.

On 10/31/2020 at 2:16 PM, Soundwise said:

I was considering getting another tube preamp, but after seeing the news, going AXE I/O + AT5MAX route seems to be a better option.  I'm genuinely impressed with the tone of AT5:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitube5/index.php?p=audio

Given that IK developers have finally addressed cab modelling that was AmpliTube's Achilles heel as well as inconvenient routing, we might have a new champ in the amp modelling market.

Thank you for the kind words.  I really love AXE I/O and I think you'll enjoy it and AmpliTube 5 quite a lot.  With regard to the cab modeling/IR topic, let's root for 143,000 IRs to sound really good - I really think they do and even though my ears are old they're still pretty good thankfully.

On 10/31/2020 at 10:45 PM, Fleer said:

If AT5 CS doesn’t “unlock previous purchases”, I’m out. 

It will load your previous purchases, yes, but with the limitations mentioned above most notably with regard to the cabinets.

On 10/31/2020 at 11:28 PM, Reid Rosefelt said:

After all these threads I've read here and on VI:Control, I'm still confused. 

I have Amplitube 4 MAX and the extra expansions from Total Studio 2.

I'm hoping  belief that if I buy Amplitube 5 regular  I will get a new program with a new serial.  It will include all the sounds I have licenses for in their new incarnations. 
It will have everything in AmpliTube 5 MAX except for Satch and Dimebag and all the other ones I don't own.  I think SE won't do that.

Hopefully @Peter - IK Multimedia can clear that up for me as that sounds fine to me.  

If Total Studio 3 works like TS2, it will include AmpliTube 5 MAX plus any expansions that come out between now and the time of its release.

AmpliTube 5 is a new install.  I'm one of the most vocal people here on this topic, and just like on forums and such we have varying opinions.  To me, I do not want nor do I want IK users to experience a significant sonic difference when they open projects just because they updated one plugin.  This is also partially due to the fact that I don't always remember to render/print tracks that I really should on projects that are finalized.  In a perfect world I'd do that and be 100% covered.  This is not a perfect world and as I approach 50 in slightly over a month from now I don't get any better at remembering these things.  I do see both sides of the argument, though.  I just like my take on it more!

On 11/1/2020 at 1:01 AM, chris.r said:

I believe CS will unlock everything you own already. But we'll be screwed in another way, idk maybe no resizing (like it was with Tracks 4 > TR5), no higher quality audio or maybe no updated routings.  Something must be left aside to make us want to pay for the update.

I'm too staying with CS for now... And I'm OK.

See above.  Resizing is definitely available.  But also check out the limitations of the cabinet section mentioned too.  That's worth consideration.

On 11/1/2020 at 6:46 AM, Grem said:

I just don't understand all the confusion. 

It has been said very clearly that AT5 SE will allow use of previously owned AT collections. And it will be "updated/converted/" to the new and improved AT5 version.

They won't give that away I think. So I wouldn't hold out hope AT5 CS is gonna give you anything new. It will probably allow you to demo the new stuff.

If you need more info, go to the IK website and put in a support ticket for Sales.

AmpliTube 5 SE and higher will run your previous gear with the VIR™ tech in full force.

On 11/1/2020 at 1:04 PM, RSMcGuitar said:

Do you guys know what happens to AT4? For example, do I need to finish songs with AT4 before upgrading to 5 or can I use both concurrently?

Please see above, while hopefully forgiving my rambling on the "why" portion of how AmpliTube 5 will be a separate installation.

23 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

Brave man. Well, now you get to tell is if the old collections got the new VIR treatment with AT 5 SE.

They do, with the exceptions mentioned above (the damaged cabinets :().

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

I feel somewhat better after that clarification, but still not happy about the pricing structure,
because it boned all of us Amplitube 4 Max users basically...and $299 to get AT5 Max, when
I already have 4 Max AND every expansion except Satch is WAY TOO STEEP.  And losing
the "Max" designation also doesn't bode well in this scenario, so again, that's a REAL BONEHEAD
move for IK...sheer stupidity.

I had to go from AT4 Max...times 2...and Amplitube 4 Deluxe, AND Total Studio 2 MAX
to Amplitube 5 SE...and THAT should NEVER be the case IK....NEVER!

GRADUATED UPGRADE PRICING...it's EASY!

IK.....LEARN FROM YOUR COMPETITORS AND, like Nike, JUST DO IT!!!
(and QUIT RAPING YOUR CUSTOMERS!)

• Like 2

I am a little happier to hear that SE is all you need to get your existing gear into the new AT 5 sound engine and VIR tech.

From following these threads --  I am starting to wonder, it seems its better to just get group buys and not buy Max editions. It seems you get more millage from group buys.

10 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

I am a little happier to hear that SE is all you need to get your existing gear into the new AT 5 sound engine and VIR tech.

From following these threads --  I am starting to wonder, it seems its better to just get group buys and not buy Max editions. It seems you get more millage from group buys.

Actually, in the REAL world, where IK doesn't live, if you got in on the group buys, those things should get you 
closer to actually buying a "Max" product, but instead, based on the IK business model, do nothing other than
get you products that you can use, but don't really do anything towards "upgrades"...so it's kind of a "Catch 22"!
We'll give you 4 or 5 things free for buying one, after we've sold 5 or 7 thousand of them, but they really are of
no benefit towards you buying anything else from us "upgrade" wise...

They are nice to get in on...but IK is making a HUGE MISTAKE by not making them "count" when it comes to 
upgrades/crossgrades.  Apparently they don't really care about that, and that's their loss.  Same with offering
products with Hardware...we'll GIVE you "X" if you buy the hardware, but "X" is useless when you want to
upgrade or crossgrade! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cclarry said:

They are nice to get in on...but IK is making a HUGE MISTAKE by not making them "count" when it comes to 
upgrades/crossgrades.  Apparently they don't really care about that, and that's their loss. 

The thing is, you're probably not helping them see it that way. They're probably like... if someone as discontent as the King keeps buying our stuff, even on pre-order... 

giphy.gif

Seriously though, if the latest info is correct, you're covered, right? I mean, try to forget about designations, naming schemes, upgrade paths, all that, for a second. If I get this right, there seems to be a reasonable decision tree shaping up here:

- if you have Total Max 2 (as I understand you do), AT 5 SE will basically give you a nice upgrade (cabs, workflow, signal chain, etc.) that will apply to everything you already own; whatever they call it, for you that's basically a nice upgrade to the latest features for a decent price

- if you're interested in the new gear in AT 5, but already own AT 4 gear, get it now if the price feels right, or wait until it's released, demo it, and decide if it's worth paying extra compared to AT 5 SE

- if there's a lot of AT stuff you don't own and are interested in (including collections), do the math and figure out what's a better purchase: go for the lot (AT 5 Max) now or wait for a better sale, or pick and choose the parts you like on top of AT 5 CS or AT 5 SE

- if you're possibly interested in some of AT 5 and Axe I/O (like me), get on ebay and find out what you can get for the hardware you're replacing. Subtract 40% to get nearer to what you'd really be getting. Estimate total (hardware/software) added value and decide. If you still can't, come back here and complain.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:
On 10/31/2020 at 10:37 AM, Sander Verstraten said:

Or in the EU: 105 Euro + 17% VAT, which so expensive, there is zero reason to buy from the IK store.

I apologize that we have to charge tax.  We prefer to stay in business by following the laws whether I (or most of us) agree with them or not :)

I understand the Tax, but combined with the 1:1 Euro to Dollar conversion, it feels a bit unfair.

And reason you don't have a rate set?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sander Verstraten said:

I understand the Tax, but combined with the 1:1 Euro to Dollar conversion, it feels a bit unfair.

Agree on the 1:1 Euro to Dollar conversion, and also the seemingly arbitrary way currencies get assigned to customers outside the USA and Europe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sander Verstraten said:

I don't think it's true VAT has to get charged to international customers. Under normal commerce, any tax you pay you can apply at the border to get it back. But then you pay import fee's in your local country of residence.

Ok...here's the deal...a little "Marketing 101"...

If you give the person who owns ONE product the same price as the person who owns TEN products,
then what that tells the person who owns TEN is that there is NO INCENTIVE to buy the products.
If owning these 10 products serves NO PURPOSE, then the INCENTIVE to buy them has been lost.
So, WHY buy the 10 products?  Just buy the ONE and wait until the offer for getting the OTHERS, because
you'll be paying the same price!  THAT is NOT an INCENTIVE!  It's actually CONTRARY to that!  It becomes
a DETRIMENT to own more products!  THAT hurts SALES!  WHY spend MORE when the company is offering
ZERO incentive to do so?

Likewise, for those who buy hardware, and they offer software with it, if that software is USELESS in the scheme
of Upgrades/Crossgrades, then the INCENTIVE to buy the Hardware has been lost!  If I get Amplitube Max for
buying a piece of hardware, BUT that AT Max does NOT qualify me for the "Maxgrade" to Total Studio Max,
OR to an UPGRADE down the road, then it's become useless.  Granted you can "use" the software, but IK LOSES THE
REVENUE STREAM from those who would most likely upgrade to Total Studio Max from THOSE customers, and THAT is
just SHOOTING YOURSELF IN THE FACE!!!   Why would you NOT want those customers to UPGRADE that product?

IK, under their RIDICULOUS "Upgrade/Crossgrade" policy, have ALIENATED the customers who have been with them for YEARS,
and heavily invested, in favor of the person who owns ONE PRODUCT!!!  That's just INSANE, and NOT good business!

Sorry...but I have to call it like it is....

Of course, the IK apologists don't care...but I think of EVERYONE...not just ME!

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Ok...here's the deal...a little "Marketing 101"...

It's an even simpler deal than that. Basically you need to look at IKM as a different beast of product than how NeuralDSP and some others are. If you jump in on the sales, (and they all more or less pull you in around the $100 for the software), you still pay the same amount for the product(s) but with IKM you get 100% or 200% more little products to play around and tinker with while with NeuralDSP you get a few amps, cabs and FX but then all sound really amazing. I am glad I am not a Max owner. I am happy with the IKM products I got and had fun using them. But now when or it its time to upgrade to something new, there really is no great incentive to stay with IKM as they don't really offer an incentive. You basically buy the new products as the same promo offer as people that don't own any IKM products. So the decision is a wide open decision and your options are quite open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Is it just sad that the one thing that really makes me excited is the new preset browser?

The user preset browser did need some fixing as it's quite clunky designed. I just really hope they didn't remove the meta data entry fields as I do use them extensively. I popular the guitar type, pickup type, song name e.t.c. in the custom presents I make. I rarely use the supplied presets as they are too over the top sounding.

I also use the 8 track as a scratch pad before putting things into Cubase. I look forward to some reliability improvements in that. In AT 4, the 8 track did weird things with tempo as you move forwards in the wave file. Sometimes also different guitar tracks mysteriously got out of wack alignment. I never bother to track it down as I always keep saving my projects regularly as i work, and I just revert to saved project.

Got enough amps and effects already to last me several lifetimes. Also no problem with the current GUI. Routing improvements are always nice. But clearly, for me at least, the key issue is the level of sound improvement available. And whether I’m willing to wager $70 ( GE preorder price after jam points) on that hope. I’m not there. YMMV

• Like 3

In terms of quantity of stuff, AmpliTube 4 MAX has more stuff than Amplitube 5 and and AmpliTube 5 SE, except for the 12 extra rack effects and the 4 extra rooms in regular 5.  Am I right about this?     Maybe the numbers don't tell the whole story--perhaps the rack effects have changed.  The video says "19 new effects racks."

What I want to explore is what the 19  new effects racks are.  Apparently they all look like MixBus now.   As I plan to get MixBus someday and a lot of them are just cutdown versions of T-RackS... going from SE to full 5 might come down to two more rooms. 

I'm wondering if  5 SE might be enough.   But I suppose many presets will only work if you have 5. 

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

AMPLITUBE 4 MAX

88 Stomp Boxes
80 amps
92 cabinets
29 Speaker models
24 Rack effects
6 rooms
18 Mics

AMPLITUBE 5

47 Stomp Boxes
34 Amps