Amplitube 5 is here - Release Date 15/12/20 or 16/12/20

Fret Flintstone

6 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

It really depends what you have and can you wait it out? It's a good upgrade but the way IKM is doing it, early adopters pay extra for it. There are no spectacular deals for current customers.

Anyone knows if the crossgrade price will stick after the 30th? Still trying to figure out which edition to get and it's family time of the year more than studio time. I would rather wait in 2021 to decide.

56 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

Not quite! Only visual output, i.e., I can see indicators moving, but still there is no sound from the standalone version.

What audio card ? Are you using ASIO drivers ?

I'm sure you've checked but have you set the output channels correctly in the setup window ?  I still have a stereo input bug (nearly a week and not a word from ikm support) but I can get signal in and out ok.

1 hour ago, Soundwise said:

I can see indicators moving, but still there is no sound

<stupidquestion>

Ok, stupid question (and I have read the entire thread and know you have tried every conceivable combination)
have you "pushed" the "Live" button?
I get no standalone sound without it engaged...

</stupidquestion>

t

7 minutes ago, Grem said:

I think then, that you would be surprised at how many musicians, that do this for a living, have all they need in thier phone.

Agreed - using a laptop live would make me nervous, personally,  but yes many, many do quite successfully.  Not as paranoid as I am.

TBH a laptop is probably more reliable than a 50 year old valve amp.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Grem said:

I think then, that you would be surprised at how many musicians, that do this for a living, have all they need in thier phone.

Yeah. I think my problem was I toured before mass computers became big and stopped touring when started a family.  You basically lugged around huge amps to compete with the drummers kick and ride cymbal and get tinnitus. It was the period where at the most you had at home was a fostex 4 track cassette tape machine at home to screw around with. Only real recording studios had real recording equipment. *

The first time I saw  a guy using a sim was Mark Stewart in a rehearsal for Paul Simon's Surprise tour. I was like, "Yo! How is he plugging into a mac laptop to do that"?  Great player. Cool guy.

* I missed that shitty tape multi track. Now with the tape cassette crazy, (never in a million  years would I have guessed that tapes would be hip again!) it might be worth something.  My damn sister in law plugged it in  the  wrong power adapter into to to try it out and fried it. :(

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Craig Fowler said:

Not to derail things, but have you tried the PA Fuchs Train II? One of my faves, and although I only demo'd the Z-wreck for a few days, it was closer to the Trainwreck sound I had in my head.

I'm sure I'll update to AT5 at some point, but I'll bide my time for the next group buy!

Without going to far down the rabbit hole here....there were 3 Trainwreck amps. 

Express

Liverpool

Rocket

The express is what most people associate with Trainwreck.  The designer, Ken Fischer didn't even like that amp....but everyone kept asking for high gain (this was the 80s) and so he made them.

The Rocket was the only amp he kept for himself and the one he kept he nicknamed reality check, and he would use it as a bench mark for amps he would make.  It is a much lower gain, much more dynamic and unforgiving amp.  It also sounds far better.  I've played all 3 and there is no comparision, it is honeslty a shame his legacy is tied to the Express as it isnt' anywhere close to the best amp he built.   The liverpool is kind of a middle ground compromise between the two.  

The Z-Wreck was a Ken Fischer design that he shared with Dr. Z.  It isn't a high gain "express" design.  It is closer to the ball park of a Rocket, but doesn't require the same level of part tolerences and ear to build.   The PA Fuchs Train is Express Territory, which again isn't want Ken wanted, but now what the average person associates with Trainwreck.  So yes, the Fuchs is much more "express" if that is what you are looking for.   However, I also personally think the Fuch's isn't the Trainwreck sound....Kenny and Trainwreck were synomyous...and that isnt' the sound Kenny loved.

He only built 5 Rockets....and something along the lines of a couple hundred Express.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Soundwise said:

Not quite! Only visual output, i.e., I can see indicators moving, but still there is no sound from the standalone version.

Sorry if you tried this already, Soundwise, but I've run into the same problem Larry (and maybe others do) where you have to actually click in the output field in settings, as if you're going to change your selection, and then it magically starts to work.

1 hour ago, abacab said:

But do they go to 11?

Who wants to go to 11 when you can go to 18?

3 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

<stupidquestion>

Ok, stupid question (and I have read the entire thread and know you have tried every conceivable combination)
have you "pushed" the "Live" button?
I get no standalone sound without it engaged...

</stupidquestion>

t

That's a jolly good question in my book! I'll play around with this setting a little more.

Just a little bit of info here:

I found out that I could d/l the install file with IKPM, then transfer that to a USB stick, load it on another pc, update it on new PC (with AT% already installed), and IKPM will now see that it has been updated! Nice! : )

• Like 1

Guys, a question that I'm sure has been asked a thousand times. The 30% limit on Jampoints, is that on the original price or the discounted one? I'm afraid I already know the answer and just don't want to face the truth.

Edited by Monomox

30 minutes ago, Monomox said:

Guys, a question that I'm sure has been asked a thousand times. The 30% limit on Jampoints, is that on the original price or the discounted one? I'm afraid I already know the answer and just don't want to face the truth.

it's a flat 30%...applies to both Retail and Sale prices

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ZincT said:

I have only dabbled with what it offers Mesh but it's such a great upgrade over AT4 in so many ways that it's a must have if you liked any of what AT4 had to offer.

I spent some time yesterday combining amps in a dual routing scenario with one panned left and one right in the mixer to create some lovely wide patches.

As with a lot of IK software (and others to be fair) the initial version tends to be a bit buggy but they get ironed out over time and there's already a new version out fixing some issues from the first version.  

Thanks Zinc, I'm glad to hear that it's good upgrade from AT4. Testing it out now ;).

Cheers!!🍻

• Like 1