Amplitube 5 is here - Release Date 15/12/20 or 16/12/20

Fret Flintstone

5 hours ago, Soundwise said:

Looks great, sounds different, works occasionally. :DThat's all I can say right now. Not enough time to run a thorough test. I'll be genuinely surprised if this giant leap makes outboard gear, like amps, reampers, load boxes, etc obsolete. I do hope, though, to find that it's the best ampsim on the market today.

i doubt it. but i dont know. i would not trust a laptop and amp sim in a PA system in an environment where a drummer and bass player can ***** out of the water sound volume wise.

I can confirm it seemed to fix the resolution issue as stated on my machine...great news.

As for the dialog on "best amp sim" in the box.   This new AT5 is the only one I've tried that I expect to actually use on productions.  Not all the amps are equal, so it can depend on what you have and the sound you are after.   The Z-wreck with matching cab is my go-to amp and it is quite sensitve to setup/gain staging so you have to get that right.  I can even run boutique pedals into the input before my interface and it takes them about as well as I'd expect software to take them.

I sent an example of myself playing through it to a friend that owns the best Trainwreck Amp ever made (long story) without telling him how I recorded it or was getting the tone.   His comments were favorable that it kind of sounded like a Wreck, and he is an expert on that subject.   Now it doesn't sound like his amp, it doesn't respond like his amp, it does not have anywhere close to the harmonic richness of the amp, but honestly in a mix it is surprisingly good...good enough to actually use when you don't own a priceless amp and want to record at really low volumes without an amp.   

I'm normally against non-hardware options for amp simulation, but this is the first one that will actually make it into my workflow sometimes if that means anything.  But like I said, not all the amps and combinations are "equal" it takes an ear and some know how to get good tone, but I can say it is possible with this software.    

• Thanks 1

Despite the improvements in sound and such, both the plugin and the standalone version takes forever to load on my machine. I haven't clocked it, but it seems to be around a minute. Also, there's the annoying thing that the "hide items you don't have activated" button doesn't stick, so you have to click it every single time to hide everything else and only see the stuff you have.

Bingo.

Changes from version 5.0.0:

General

• Fixed Several Audio Routing Problems related to the Standalone version
  • Fixed an audio routing problem with inputs above the first and second interface channels
  • Fixed several GUI problems on lower resolution monitors
  • Fixed blurry artefacts on Rack FX
  • Fixed an issue on Windows installer which was requesting a reboot after installation
  • Fixed an issue that was corrupting pedal settings during Drag n Drop
  • Fixed an issue which caused a possible crash when no IR files were loaded into the Custom IR section
  • Fixed several inverted parameters on Pedals and Rack FX

Models

• Fixed Mono-Stereo Selector for Boston 100 Cabinet
  • Fixed an issue in the Dime Wah which was not saving the Pedal Value in Presets and Session
  • Fixed an issue that was corrupting the behavior of the EQ-81 Rack
  • Improved readability on EQ-81 rack values
  • Fixed an issue that was corrupting the behavior of the Fender Wah pedal
  • Fixed an issue that was corrupting the Rack Tape Cassette Behavior
  • Fixed and issue that was corrupting the Host Sync for: Step Filter, Step Slicer, Seek Wah and Seek Trem
  • Rack Reverbs parameters Fields now editable
  • Fixed Discrepancies in theVIR section when loading a Model Presets or Pasting a Model Setting
  • Fixed Discrepancies about Leslie parameters in Mixer Section and Cabinet's small Mixer
  • Copy/Paste Cabinet Settings now includes Mic Room settings
  • Corrected several Model type tags under the gear selector

Improvements

• Improved Preset Browsing via UP / DOWN Arrows
  • Gear Visibility Mode is now stored as a global preference

Also happy to see the "Manuals" tab in IK Product Manager for AmpliTube 5.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mesh said:

So, what's the verdict on A5, is it worth an upgrade?

I'll be honest as I haven't read all 34 pages on this thread, but would like to know the general consensus/your opinion on it.

Cheers and rock rock til you drop!! :)    

It's a GREAT update, Mesh, and for someone who didn't use AT4 much to start, AT5 is all I want to reach for right now and nears the top of the heap for me both in terms of flexibility AND sound.  You should read the thread when you have some time to hear how so many different tastes have found something to like or really love about the platform.  I was (and still am) a THU and Neural devotee, but AT5 has so much flexibility, so many varieties for crafting tones, that I don't see myself spending much time anywhere else TBH.  I'm floored at how good it is and floored at how floored I am.  Floored, I say.

• Like 5

Guyz today i wanted to use it as an FX for sounds , how do you handle on a sound that is stereo from start ? like this ? by bypassing amps and cabs  ? no other method ?

image.png.6c812e807e82a448bc9dfd56ee6c592e.png

Edited by Zo

Zo, haven't tried but will it let you remove the amp and cabs?

@Mesh Read what I had to say about it Mesh. And now with the update, it's gotten a lot of those major bugs out the way!! I played it for about an hour so far tonight and I didn't see one bug that I was normally getting when it was first released. Yes, it worth it. Yes it's a great upgrade. Get it while the intro price is still good. They may not drop the price for a while. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zo said:

how do you handle on a sound that is stereo from start ? like this ? by bypassing amps and cabs  ? no other method ?

Looking at your situation, it looks like your right about that being the only way. Bypass amps and cabs. 

Unless you take the stereo signal and put left and right on a trk each, then mono input in AT5 will let you have a DI. Drop your fx the way you in the mixer slots,  while bypassing the amps and cabs.  

You could also save that configuration as a preset in AT5.

• Great Idea 1

12 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

I sent an example of myself playing through it to a friend that owns the best Trainwreck Amp ever made (long story) without telling him how I recorded it or was getting the tone.   His comments were favorable that it kind of sounded like a Wreck, and he is an expert on that subject.   Now it doesn't sound like his amp, it doesn't respond like his amp, it does not have anywhere close to the harmonic richness of the amp, but honestly in a mix it is surprisingly good...good enough to actually use when you don't own a priceless amp and want to record at really low volumes without an amp.   

Not to derail things, but have you tried the PA Fuchs Train II? One of my faves, and although I only demo'd the Z-wreck for a few days, it was closer to the Trainwreck sound I had in my head.

I'm sure I'll update to AT5 at some point, but I'll bide my time for the next group buy!

56 minutes ago, Zo said:

Thks Michael , just to confirm , yep i made zillions presets in AT 4 need to figure out how to import them ...

just copy and paste them into the AT 5 folder. They show up. I create a directory in AT 5 called import and dumped my user presets from AT 4 into there. Note: they are all unusable as is. they just sound way too different in AT 5.  I need to go into each one and tweak and adjust if I want to use it. might as well build a new one from scratch. I don't really have very complex presets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mesh said:

I'll be honest as I haven't read all 34 pages on this thread, but would like to know the general consensus/your opinion on it.

It really depends what you have and can you wait it out? It's a good upgrade but the way IKM is doing it, early adopters pay extra for it. There are no spectacular deals for current customers.

I played it last night and lost a couple of hours to it. Well worth the upgrade! And it's been bug free for me too, though I've only used the standalone version so far.

But I still don't know why the flip they always charge me in Euro when I'm located in Australia...

Edited by Toffo

23 hours ago, Zo said:

Just imagin At 5 going uad with unison for each amp !! Woah ... with the right ilpedance this coukd get us even closer ...

Don't really care for dubious simulated impedance voodoo as I use excellent tube preamp with extremely neutral character. Makes a day and night difference when recording DI signal. I think, IKM made their own version of this tech available in their AXE interfaces. Not sure how they all compare to each other, but don't they serve the same purpose?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mesh said:

I have only dabbled with what it offers Mesh but it's such a great upgrade over AT4 in so many ways that it's a must have if you liked any of what AT4 had to offer.

I spent some time yesterday combining amps in a dual routing scenario with one panned left and one right in the mixer to create some lovely wide patches.

As with a lot of IK software (and others to be fair) the initial version tends to be a bit buggy but they get ironed out over time and there's already a new version out fixing some issues from the first version.  

• Like 1