Amplitube 5 is here - Release Date 15/12/20 or 16/12/20

Fret Flintstone

4 minutes ago, Grem said:

We can agree 100% on this. They are just not very good at making it clear as far as what's in a latest version, of what ever. ST, AT, TR.

Like I said in an earlier post, I looked around at the info presented and realized that AT5 SE and AT5 have the core features in common. AT5 SE just doesn't have all the new speakers that are available. But it has the VIR tech to make all my old stuff into the new stuff just like AT5.

Matt pointed out that IK doesn't seem to do upgrades. You just get a new license for the new product/version. So if you buy AT4 now, you will get a license for AT5 SE, not an 'upgrade'.

Right-e-o!  

Anyways....that $80 is what I should have had to pay to get from AT 4 Max to AT 5 Max...but whatever...they boned me again...
I should be used to it by now 🤢

At least Waves have the intellect to do "graduated" upgrades based on what you already own...so my hats off to them! 🎩

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Greg said:

If you have AmpliTube 4 MAX and don't have the seven subsequent collections, you'd want AmpliTube 5 MAX. If you have most of them you can get AmpliTube 5 SE for the full features and all you already have will run perfectly in it taking advantage of the new features.

+1, this seems to be the best path for anyone wanting to upgrade right now (upgrade directly or do what Larry did and register a fresh AT4). And if you wanted the new AT5 gear, you'd upgrade to AT5 full instead of SE.

I think one thing that AT4 MAX Owners in this thread are a little concerned about (I don't want to speak for others, but at least myself) is that after going the AT5 full + expansions to fill things out route, yes, we'd own every piece of gear in the AT5MAX set, and we'd have spent more than AT4MAX + AT5MAX upgrade, but in their system we'd be AT4MAX users, not AT5MAX users.

In the past IK had "MAXGrade" offers to Total Studio Max. IF Total Studio Max 3, 4, ... are ever a thing, AND IK offers a MAXGrade in the future, would there be a cutoff between AT5MAX users and AT4MAX users? Would we AT4MAX users be lower-class customers? My initial thought is (edit) maybe because they sold AT4MAX for cheap recently, but that is making a ton of assumptions about product roadmap and marketing. For now, keep rocking :) 

Edited by mister_tea
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cclarry said:

This Video says that the "Legacy" cabinets were "recaptured"!  Wouldn't that mean that they WOULD have to "upgrade" your existing
Cabinets for your "Collections" if the 'Full Features" for those Cabinets were going to work?  They would HAVE to give you new IR's 
for your existing collections 'Legacy" cabinets wouldn't they, or am I just KRAZY?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cclarry said:

... or am I just KRAZY?

I think it’s no secret that I don’t like IK as a company, nor much of their business model, nor their reps.  I wouldn’t comment on this topic, but I do because it’s you, and well, you ARE the king and I need you to be happy; heck, BF is around the corner 😊 

I'm not sure I get why you're so upset. Let’s see:

• Amplitube 5 isn’t even out yet
  • Amplitube 4 is a decent product, in an ever more crowded market of decent amp sims; most people who like it (and I like some of it) think it’s up there with other good choices, nothing more, nothing less
  • IK’s product line comes up for sale often enough at heavily discounted prices, as you know better than anyone here
  • IK’s business model (somewhat similar to other larger companies) heavily favors bringing in new customers over rewarding loyalty; this is reflected in often mediocre upgrade/crossgrade offers compared to buying into the system (or picking up only the stuff you like during sales); this is even more evident when you consider what second-hand licenses routinely go for, despite the license transfer fee. 

Add up the above and, if the current offer offends you, it seems an easy choice to just wait. Wait until it’s released, try it out, see if it’s worth the hype, decide what you like and what you don’t like about it, figure out what it’s worth to you, buy, pass, or wait for a sale. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, fitzroy said:

I think it’s no secret that I don’t like IK as a company, nor much of their business model, nor their reps.  I wouldn’t comment on this topic, but I do because it’s you, and well, you ARE the king and I need you to be happy; heck, BF is around the corner 😊 

I'm not sure I get why you're so upset. Let’s see:

• Amplitube 5 isn’t even out yet
  • Amplitube 4 is a decent product, in an ever more crowded market of decent amp sims; most people who like it (and I like some of it) think it’s up there with other good choices, nothing more, nothing less
  • IK’s product line comes up for sale often enough at heavily discounted prices, as you know better than anyone here
  • IK’s business model (somewhat similar to other larger companies) heavily favors bringing in new customers over rewarding loyalty; this is reflected in often mediocre upgrade/crossgrade offers compared to buying into the system (or picking up only the stuff you like during sales); this is even more evident when you consider what second-hand licenses routinely go for, despite the license transfer fee. 

Add up the above and, if the current offer offends you, it seems an easy choice to just wait. Wait until it’s released, try it out, see if it’s worth the hype, decide what you like and what you don’t like about it, figure out what it’s worth to you, buy, pass, or wait for a sale. 

giphy.gif

All true...but I've always kept Amplitube (being a Guitar player, first and foremost) up to date...
For sure, I could opt out and wait, but then maybe have to pay full price if there is no sale, or
have to wait 6 months before there is.  You can rest assured this will NOT be in the BF sales...
or even the Holiday Sales.

5 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

And you are complaining old man 🤣...... I already got my coat 😆

And DOOOON'T YOU FORGET IT!🤪

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

They would HAVE to give you new IR's 
for your existing collections 'Legacy" cabinets wouldn't they, or am I just KRAZY?

I am not a programmer Larry, but I think the easiest way to do it would be to include all the new and updated IR in with the VIR technology, not an actual IR file, but calculations in the VIR tech. When it's told to load a certain file, it will apply the calculations already in the code to that file and out comes the "New and Improved" IR. 

Don't hold me to it now, but I think that's how they are doing it.

Edited by Grem

1 minute ago, Grem said:

I am not a programmer Larry, but I think the easiest way to do it would be to include all the new and updated IR in with the VIR technology, not an actual IR file, but calculations in the VIR tech. When it's told to load a certain file, it will apply the calculations already in the code for that file and out comes the "New and Improved" IR. 

Don't hold me to it now, but I think that's how they are doing it.

I know exactly what you are saying, and I started to add that to my post, but NO...
you can't "magically" take an existing IR, captured in a specific Mic Location, and create new mic positions!
THAT would require "new" IR's to properly capture those positions.  So, as you said, they are most
likely using "Mumbo Jumbo" methods of "psycho acoustic simulation" if that is the case.

2 hours ago, Grem said:

I don't think this is accurate. I believe that if what your saying is correct, then they would be selling different versions of the collections, depending on which version of AT your getting it for. And that doesn't make sense!

A new buyer will buy AT5. Likes it and wants the JH Collection. Do you really think that the JH collection will not allow him to have the 'new and improved' VIR technology? Come on, think about this for a minute.

It has already been said that anything you already own will run on the new engine, Even the SE version!

[edit]

And anything you will buy will run on the new engine.

Something tells me, if IKM did do any work or updates on the collections, they would be advertising the hell out of it and putting it in bold somewhere that the collections are all updated (remastered or revamped -- whatever buzz word they want to use!)  for AT 5 and state that that's another good reason to upgrade from AT 4 to AT 5.

But thee fact that it's not really mentioned anywhere makes me think nothing was done on them. They are essentially the exact same software collections you had all along,  you just get the privilege of using them now in AT 5 and match those amps in those collections with the new VIR cabs and speakers that come in AT 5.  That's a far cry from "remastered" and "revamaped". It just might sound remastered when used through AT 5, but you should not have to pay an upgrade price -- it is the same collection you had all along.

(I might be wrong).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cclarry said:

I hope you're right.  Peter said that they would RUN, and didn't have to "specifically be upgraded"...he 
didn't say that they would ACTUALLY GET the NEW stuff...

By his wording, it doesn't sound like they get upgraded with the "new stuff", but rather that they would
"RUN"...

Yes, this is also how I am interpreting Peters posts. Hence my accusation that he's ***** footing around and not giving straight answers.

Whatever.. this is looking like a dead end for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg said:

Got it. I also have everything except for satriani. I think the sold downside is that to SE is that there is some new gear not included.  AFAIK The PDFs on the info page (at last look) also include AT4 gear so it’s hard to tell exactly what is new for AT5 that is different between the SE and regular. 

whats new is under the"whats new" section of the AT 5 page on their site. 2 stomp boxes, 5 amps, 1 cab.. and then updates to GUI and bits of Mixbox.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cclarry said:

they are most likely using "Mumbo Jumbo" methods of "psycho acoustic simulation" if that is the case.

Yes. 

The only alternative is like you say, is to include NEW WAV files for all existing cabs.

And that may not be out of the realm of possibilities.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

I was considering getting another tube preamp, but after seeing the news, going AXE I/O + AT5MAX route seems to be a better option.  I'm genuinely impressed with the tone of AT5:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitube5/index.php?p=audio

Given that IK developers have finally addressed cab modelling that was AmpliTube's Achilles heel as well as inconvenient routing, we might have a new champ in the amp modelling market.

• Like 3

what I can't understand is why @Peter - IK Multimedia is even allowing @cclarry to buy a licence ?

Follow my logic...

This is basically Larry's forum - it only really exists because of all the hard work he put in -  I don't know how much revenue he generates for the companies whose deals he posts....I do know that he has PERSONALLY cost me a small fortune 🤑

IKM regularly use this forum to sell their products....They gain access to a massive group of people who are hungry for deals...and that is 100% down to Larry...and yet he is still required to BUY a licence.

People get NFR licences just by have a couple of views on youtube ....... C'mon IKM, do the right thing here, it doesn't cost you a penny.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 5
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, simon said:

what I can't understand is why @Peter - IK Multimedia is even allowing @cclarry to buy a licence ?

Follow my logic...

This is basically Larry's forum - it only really exists because of all the hard work he put in -  I don't know how much revenue he generates for the companies whose deals he posts....I do know that he has PERSONALLY cost me a small fortune 🤑

IKM regularly use this forum to sell their products....They gain access to a massive group of people who are hungry for deals...and that is 100% down to Larry...and yet he is still required to BUY a licence.

People get NFR licences just by have a couple of views on youtube ....... C'mon IKM, do the right thing here, it doesn't cost you a penny.

Yeah...I'll hold my breath for that...LOL 😡 (They probably hate me for pointing out the flaws in their marketing...LOL)

Edited by cclarry
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

On 10/30/2020 at 4:06 AM, Marc Cormier said:

But I also want to hear - officially - that this dark magic applies to that same AT4 stuff and not just the new stuff in AT5 MAX:

Industry-standard sound with DSM™ (Dynamic Saturation Modeling) and VRM™ (Volumetric Response Modeling) technologies for Hyper-Realistic emulation of real world gear and the best sounding models

Dynamic Response Modeling provides real amp response and feel — models dynamic relationship and interaction between power amp and speakers, plus physical and harmonic interaction between individual speakers, cabinet and room construction and mics

All i know is that all those made the tapes an industry in sound , but also in cpu hit ...ouch ...