Gauge Mic Locker

cclarry

On sale for $29

https://www.gauge-usa.com/collections/gauge-universal-mic-locker-software/products/gauge-mic-locker-software-license

QUICKLY AND EASILY ENHANCE THE SOUND OF ANY TRACK BY ADDING THE TONE AND CHARACTER OF THE WORLD'S MOST ICONIC AND DESIRABLE MICROPHONES, WITH STUNNING RESULTS.

The Gauge Mic Locker is the most accurate and responsive sonic enhancement plug-in ever created.

Using the Mic Locker plug-in with ANY TRACK YOU HAVE IN YOUR SESSIONS, you will have your own Virtual Microphone Locker! 

• Thanks 1

Ehhh, was curious about this plugin and installed demo... I picked VST2 to install. No question where...but  ok, maybe smart app, launching CbB with scanning, not found...

Looking manually.... Found it in C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins. Never had Cubase....

With all respect are they hiring idiots to create installers?

23 minutes ago, Piotr said:

Ehhh, was curious about this plugin and installed demo... I picked VST2 to install. No question where...but  ok, maybe smart app, launching CbB with scanning, not found...

Looking manually.... Found it in C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins. Never had Cubase....

With all respect are they hiring idiots to create installers?

When you have MAC programmers who won't take the time to learn how to really support the PC platform you get this kind of nonsense.
Have seen this countless times.  PC heathens don't merit the same attention to detail.

• Haha 2

I have demoed their ECM87 MIC CLONE many months ago, even though I don't have their Gauge ECM-87 microphone.

(I liked it even though I didn't buy it as I don't have the mic.)

And I didn't know there is this plugin, which doesn't require the microphone and can be used for any tracks. 

I thought this was the same product I have tried before where there was no such trouble iirc. 

But this one is probably new and very interesting...

7 hours ago, TheSteven said:

When you have MAC programmers who won't take the time to learn how to really support the PC platform you get this kind of nonsense.
Have seen this countless times.  PC heathens don't merit the same attention to detail.

It is funny as I remember from deep past  'make install' pack is usually part of SDK so it requires very, very little work.

But well we are only PC pagans not worth their attention so not sure if we should not to contaminate them with our money :)

17 hours ago, Piotr said:

Could be wrong, but I think that's the default location for VST plugins (though VST2s can be put anywhere). I've replaced that folder with a symlink that points to another drive where all my plugins actually go.

Just now, antler said:

Could be wrong, but I think that's the default location for VST plugins (though VST2s can be put anywhere). I've replaced that folder with a symlink that points to another drive where all my plugins actually go.

Correct.  It was the default VST directory for years.
I install all my VST2's to a different drive, as, like antler said,
you can put them anywhere and just point to them in the
DAW...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, antler said:

I think that's the default location for VST plugins

yes, for cubase....

3 minutes ago, antler said:

I've replaced that folder with a symlink that points to another drive where all my plugins actually go.

so thousands users needs to fix what was poorly done by devels. I don;'t want to buy anything what needs to be fixed before first use...

Having thousands plugins means every bad design multiply my effort...

4 minutes ago, Larry Shelby said:

Correct.  It was the default VST directory for years.
I install all my VST2's to a different drive, as, like antler said,
you can put them anywhere and just point to them in the
DAW...

Are you sure, Larry, it was also default for Sonar, for instance?

No something like: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins ?

Just now, Piotr said:

You misunderstand....by DEFAULT, the location recommended BY THE SOFTWARE INSTALLER would
be C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins, BUT you could alter that location if the installer allowed you
to.  Some DID NOT allow you to, and you would have to move them to whatever your VST Folder was.

1 hour ago, Piotr said:

That was a Cakewalk thing, and one (of the many) things I hated about Cakewalk. Installation changes/sets the registry setting to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins.

I have my plugins in C:\Program Files\VstPlugins, so I just edited the registry entry to point to there.

3 minutes ago, Fret Flintstone said:

That was a Cakewalk thing, and one (of the many) things I hated about Cakewalk. Installation changes/sets the registry setting to C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins.

I have my plugins in C:\Program Files\VstPlugins, so I just edited the registry entry to point to there.

Yup. Fortunately there are massive amount of options to customize different directories in Sonar's option so it is easily fixable inside it.

1 hour ago, Larry Shelby said:

You misunderstand....by DEFAULT, the location recommended BY THE SOFTWARE INSTALLER would
be C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins, BUT you could alter that location if the installer allowed you
to.  Some DID NOT allow you to, and you would have to move them to whatever your VST Folder was.

Hm, which version of Sonar had such defaults during install ?  Didn't you install anything before so Sonar installer could detect such location for VST?

I don't remember exactly installation process on clean Windows (it was many years ago) but presence such dir as 'C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins' with core plugins doesn't sound like my liking...

There is no hard standard for where VST2 plugins should be stored on your computer.

The more popular or common places listed by Steinberg are:

• C:\Program Files\VSTPlugIns
  • C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugIns
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST2
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steinberg\VST

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Piotr said:

Hm, which version of Sonar had such defaults during install ?  Didn't you install anything before so Sonar installer could detect such location for VST?

I don't remember exactly installation process on clean Windows (it was many years ago) but presence such dir as 'C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins' with core plugins doesn't sound like my liking...

It has nothing to do with Sonar/Cakewalk...software developers wrote their installers to default to C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins.
Most allowed you to alter that path, but many did not (originally), and that is why many still default to, and create, the path:
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins.  This is because Steinberg were the authors of the VST Format

Note that many VST2 installers, including Cakewalk if I recall correctly, will defer to the "VSTPluginsPath" stored in the Registry the 1st time they install a new plugin.
By changing this path you will affect where many new plugin installers will choose by default to install their plugins.

The following registry-key is set (win-x32):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VST\VSTPluginsPath

The following registry-keys are set (win-x64):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\VST\VSTPluginsPath

From what I recall this isn't a hard standard (which is why everyone isn't following it), it's just kind of become a common practice.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Larry Shelby said:

It has nothing to do with Sonar/Cakewalk...software developers wrote their installers to default to C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins.
Most allowed you to alter that path, but many did not (originally), and that is why many still default to, and create, the path:
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins.  This is because Steinberg were the authors of the VST Format

Larry, I am aware about VST history. I was just referring to Sonar installation on clean Windows system.

I  had an impression that when I was installing it some years ago I din't change any defaults and got location like "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins" not Steinberg thing. Some apps are doing some simple env/register  scans before installation so I could think if anything before Sonar created Steinberg thing Sonar could read it... Just thinking...

Of course it was years ago so I could be 100% sure and to be honest no passion here to verify it by doing clean Windows install and then Sonar. :)

So I prefer to believe in your words if you are so sure it is also default for Sonar... :)

3 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Note that many VST2 installers, including Cakewalk if I recall correctly, will defer to the "VSTPluginsPath" stored in the Registry.
By changing this path you will affect where many new plugin installers will choose by default to install their plugins.

The following registry-key is set (win-x32):

The following registry-keys are set (win-x64):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\VST\VSTPluginsPath

From what I recall this isn't a hard standard (which is why everyone isn't following it), it's just kind of become a common practice.

And thing like this I was considering. If there are such entries in register with Steinberg path Sonar installer just could read it. But if there are no such entries and no dirs created Sonar install could offer its real defaults....

But anyway my current workflow and data keeping don't force me for clean install so I am unable to check in experiment it in any considerable future :)