VST Buzz Deal - UJAM Virtual Guitarist Sparkle

cclarry

Just picked up Silk from Pluginboutique because they had sent me some coupons for UJAM instruments. I was going to get Amber instead, but then realized I had NI Strummed Acoustic and it fit the same mold. Since I could only afford one instrument right now I went with Silk. I wish Silk provided a choice between nylon  strings and steel strings. I would love to have a picked steel string guitar to compliment Amber's strummed sound.

8 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

They are proud of their products and feel that if people try them, they'll want more.   They aren't afraid of deals and freebies.

Maybe so, but personally speaking, seeing them so cheap and even free elsewhere when still relatively new products (I'm looking at you Carbon) while they are still sending me emails trying to get me to pay $129 for it makes me less inclined to trust them. I haven't even bothered to demo any of the basses for exactly that reason. 

9 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Just trying sparkle in CW now.

Getting alot of glitching right out of the box. And even a sort of distortion.

I thought it might be buffering issues .. so changed these on my Audient EVO 4, still happening.

Closed CW and tried in Ableton and in Reason ... no problems, playing perfect.

So what could it be in CW I wonder?

I got this too - using the "Load using jBridge wrapper" totally fixed it for me. I get perfect playback at a buffer size as low as 32:
image.png.25d34c2c5b5918df92626bafd8d190ca.png

Of course, this is assuming you have JBridge installed...

5 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I got this too - using the "Load using jBridge wrapper" totally fixed it for me. I get perfect playback at a buffer size as low as 32:
image.png.25d34c2c5b5918df92626bafd8d190ca.png

Of course, this is assuming you have JBridge installed...

Did JBRIDGE ever come with SONAR? i am a longtime user with Sonar Plat installed also but not used so as to get my PLAT content for CW BL

BTW I also notice that NI Electric Sunburst & NI Strummed Acoustic are glitching also OR slow to load when switching patches.

My spec BTW is Core i5, 16GB Ram, hybrid Sata Drive, Audient Evo 4 I/F

As a matter of interest SPARKLE is a 64bit plug? So why does it need JBridge or even works better with it I wonder?

I also have Carbon which seems fine, but that got a sort of major v2 type update which sparkle didnt get? So I wonder is it a wait for next ver of Sparkle other than buying JBridge

Edited by aidan o driscoll

1 hour ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Did JBRIDGE ever come with SONAR? i am a longtime user with Sonar Plat installed also but not used so as to get my PLAT content for CW BL

BTW I also notice that NI Electric Sunburst & NI Strummed Acoustic are glitching also OR slow to load when switching patches.

My spec BTW is Core i5, 16GB Ram, hybrid Sata Drive, Audient Evo 4 I/F

As a matter of interest SPARKLE is a 64bit plug? So why does it need JBridge or even works better with it I wonder?

I also have Carbon which seems fine, but that got a sort of major v2 type update which sparkle didnt get? So I wonder is it a wait for next ver of Sparkle other than buying JBridge

No, jBridge is a 3rd party product: https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

Although JBridge is primarily for bridging 32 bit plugins to 64 bit hosts,  it also supports:

64 bit plugin -> 32 bit host
64 bit plugin -> 64 bit host  (which is what I'm doing with Sparkle)
32 bit plugin -> 32 bit host  (which gets around the memory limit per process)

• Like 1

Just now, msmcleod said:

No, jBridge is a 3rd party product: https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

Although JBridge is primarily for bridging 32 bit plugins to 64 bit hosts,  it also supports:

64 bit plugin -> 32 bit host
64 bit plugin -> 64 bit host  (which is what I'm doing with Sparkle)
32 bit plugin -> 32 bit host  (which gets around the memory limit per process)

I wonder will this be sorted out with new ver of Sparkle which I reckon is on the way? So upgrade might do the trick.

By any chance are you having similar issues with NI Electric Sunburst & NI Strummed Acoustic? Quiet heavy on a system I reckon vs other Kontakt products?

Just now, aidan o driscoll said:

I wonder will this be sorted out with new ver of Sparkle which I reckon is on the way? So upgrade might do the trick.

By any chance are you having similar issues with NI Electric Sunburst & NI Strummed Acoustic? Quiet heavy on a system I reckon vs other Kontakt products?

All of the NI Stuff has always been relatively slow in loading for me - there's a tonne of samples involved that need loading. But all of it runs rock solid.

You might be able to tweak how much is loaded from within Kontakt itself, but I'm just using the defaults.

4 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

All of the NI Stuff has always been relatively slow in loading for me - there's a tonne of samples involved that need loading. But all of it runs rock solid.

You might be able to tweak how much is loaded from within Kontakt itself, but I'm just using the defaults.

Batch re-resave in Kontakt can dramatically improve loading times. It's something I do as a matter of course when installing new libraries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, abacab said:

VG-Carbon is the exception for the guitars at 1.0.1. I have it and it does have the finisher and instrument mode. Different from VG-Sparkle at 1.0.0 in many ways, which I also have.

FYI, the Finisher was created as part of Carbon.  AFAIK it was just supposed to be a component of Carbon. The customer base liked it so much that they asked ujam to make a Finisher effect.

20 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Just trying sparkle in CW now.

Getting alot of glitching right out of the box. And even a sort of distortion.

I thought it might be buffering issues .. so changed these on my Audient EVO 4, still happening.

Closed CW and tried in Ableton and in Reason ... no problems, playing perfect.

So what could it be in CW I wonder?

That is interesting. I heard some glitching in Cakewalk with my audio buffes set to 64 samples. Bumped it all the way up to 256 and the glitching stopped. Was running at 48000.

So I tried it in Studio One and was able to get it all the way down to 16 samples audio buffers without glitching.

Using Scarlett 4i4 3rd gen at 48000/24.

Edited by abacab

29 minutes ago, abacab said:

That is interesting. I heard some glitching in Cakewalk with my audio buffes set to 64 samples. Bumped it all the way up to 256 and the glitching stopped. Was running at 48000.

So I tried it in Studio One and was able to get it all the way down to 16 samples audio buffers without glitching.

Using Scarlett 4i4 3rd gen at 48000/24.

Just tried it in REASON 11 .. no glitches. Appears issue is in CW only .. and thats on 2 different systems both Core i5s using the EVO4

Now on this system i have the EVO set at 96khz and 512

1 hour ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Just tried it in REASON 11 .. no glitches. Appears issue is in CW only .. and thats on 2 different systems both Core i5s using the EVO4

Now on this system i have the EVO set at 96khz and 512

Agree that it's probably Cakewalk only. I set it to 96Khz and it started glitching on me when I brought it down to 64 samples. But OK at 128, 256, & 512 though.

Maybe something in the way Cakewalk handles ASIO buffering. Maybe something different happens with the buffer when using something like a jBridge wrapper with the plugin in Cakewalk?

• Like 1

FWIW I have an old dual core pc running win7 with a firewire interface in WDM mode (it just works better that way than ASIO - I have no idea why) and Sparkle has always worked fine in whatever CW version I was using at the time. That said, it's been a while since I used it last so I haven't tried on the latest CW version which seems to struggle even playing back some projects that played fine in the version I had installed before (2019.09 IIRC) and also synths seem to hit the cpu more than previously too. I'm seriously considering reverting to 2019.09 as there seems to be no up side of having the latest version in my case.