Midi tracks go flat.

peter.olsen3

Question

Just been recording an instrumental idea. Using Dimension Pro for piano and Spitfire/BBC for string parts. Piano chords first-OK. Celli next-OK. Basses-fine. Violins-nice. Then played back to do mix, and the piano track went (slightly) flat during playback. Had this before and cured it by re-taking the offending track. Has anybody had anything similar? BTW, if you haven't already done so, get the Spitfire software: it's really great sounding, and they'll let you have the basic version in return for completing a survey. Cheers.

7 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, peter.olsen3 said:

Then played back to do mix, and the piano track went (slightly) flat during playback. Had this before and cured it by re-taking the offending track. Has anybody had anything similar?

Is there a stray pitch bend in there somewhere?.  Check this with PRV or event list. 

You might even want head to the piano track and insert a pitch bend = 0 even just before the piano notes start.

I've had this happen with multiple different VSTs over the years. Since I pretty much exclusively use Cakewalk (and Reaper for some stuff) I'm not sure if it's a problem with the particular VST or with the DAW itself. I suspect it's the daw. Although Bandlab is a great improvement over the cpu heavy and buggy past CW products, there are still some weird things that happen from time to time. 

15 hours ago, peter.olsen3 said:

Just been recording an instrumental idea. Using Dimension Pro for piano and Spitfire/BBC for string parts. Piano chords first-OK. Celli next-OK. Basses-fine. Violins-nice. Then played back to do mix, and the piano track went (slightly) flat during playback. Had this before and cured it by re-taking the offending track. Has anybody had anything similar? BTW, if you haven't already done so, get the Spitfire software: it's really great sounding, and they'll let you have the basic version in return for completing a survey. Cheers.

Yeah. Check your pitch bend wheel on the midi - it happens to the best of us. 

Thanks for all the advice. I think my next move will be setting up cbb to ignore pitch wheel cc. Have seen the same thing on boards for other DAWs (Logic Pro, Pro Tools, and Cubase to name but three), and they all suggest a pitch wheel problem. I'll report back when I've had time to try it. Again, thanks.